The Student Room Group

Joining the Navy at 16

I’ve just passed my interview for the Navy however I’ve just realised that the law states that you need to be in full time education until your 18. My online research has shown that you have to have been given a start date in order for joining the Navy to be counted as full time education . As I’ve only just passed the interview I won’t be given a start date for at least 4 months which would mean I would have missed the deadline for college or apprentisjips . I was wondering If passing. An interview and carrying on the application counts as full time education as I need to enroll to college if I’m going on the 22nd August
Reply 1
Original post by Jmurtagh999
I’ve just passed my interview for the Navy however I’ve just realised that the law states that you need to be in full time education until your 18. My online research has shown that you have to have been given a start date in order for joining the Navy to be counted as full time education . As I’ve only just passed the interview I won’t be given a start date for at least 4 months which would mean I would have missed the deadline for college or apprentisjips . I was wondering If passing. An interview and carrying on the application counts as full time education as I need to enroll to college if I’m going on the 22nd August

There are still many stages you could fail, so it's prudent to have a back up ready.
Reply 2
There is . But if I passed them and I was still at college would I be able to drop out of college
Reply 3
There is . But if I passed them and I was still at college would I be able to drop out of college

Yes
Reply 4
What if I was a year into college as the rest of my application and getting into Raleigh will take around a year
Reply 5
What if I was a year into college as the rest of my application and getting into Raleigh will take around a year

What about it?

If you get accepted, just leave college.
Or, tell the navy you're halfway through college, want to finish whatever courses you're doing, and will then join.

The first will definitely be acceptable, the second is very likely to be.

Talk to your AFCO.
Reply 6
Ok thanks for the advice . Have an interview for the Navy on the 6th but I’d be at college that day so not sure What to do
Reply 7
Ok thanks for the advice . Have an interview for the Navy on the 6th but I’d be at college that day so not sure What to do

The interview won't be the only occasion that events in your selection process to potentially clash with college; how did you think your application would work? Pass the interview, you've maybe got medical, fitness test and PRNC.

Arrange for time off from college.
Are you 100% sure at the age of 16 you want to join the Navy.

Quick Reply

Latest