'recommendation for QTS' meaning?

Watch this thread
Yasuda
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm looking at PGCEs and most of them say they give you 'recommendation for QTS'. Does this mean you have to do some extra training or an extra qualification after the PGCE to get QTS?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hey there :shakehand:

The reason it is stated this was is because your first year of teaching after your PGCE is your NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) Year; during this year, if you are in a full time post, you will still be required to have lessons observed (and graded to a degree) by a designated colleague within the school.

"The purpose of the NQT Induction Year is to help you become a successful teacher, by offering you personalised support and guidance through the first year of your new teaching career." - https://www.mynqtyear.com/guide-to-y...n-year.cms.asp

Once you have passed this year, you become a RQT (A recently qualified teacher - typically someone who has been teaching from 2-5 years)

So in essence, your first full year of work is still a part of your training

Hope this clears things up

Ste :beard:
Yasuda
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hey there :shakehand:

The reason it is stated this was is because your first year of teaching after your PGCE is your NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) Year; during this year, if you are in a full time post, you will still be required to have lessons observed (and graded to a degree) by a designated colleague within the school.

"The purpose of the NQT Induction Year is to help you become a successful teacher, by offering you personalised support and guidance through the first year of your new teaching career." - https://www.mynqtyear.com/guide-to-y...n-year.cms.asp

Once you have passed this year, you become a RQT (A recently qualified teacher - typically someone who has been teaching from 2-5 years)

So in essence, your first full year of work is still a part of your training

Hope this clears things up

So will I get awarded QTS after my NQT year?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by YasudaSayo)
So will I get awarded QTS after my NQT year?
Hey,

So in essence - yes. QTS is not really an award as such that you are given, as in you do not get a certificate to say you have it, for example.

Finishing your PGCE essentially shows employers that you have had your training and are set up, ready for your NQT year. After completing your NQT year, employers can see that you've been through training and also been through your first full year of teaching.

So there is is no real "announcement" as such that you have gained QTS, it is just apparent that you have this status through your completed training and experience on the job.

I hope this makes sense, I realise it is a little unclear - I am basing a lot of this from my own/friends experiences. Maybe somebody else from their own experiences may say differently? :curious:

There is a lot of useful information on sites like TES, Bright Network, Get Into Teaching - to name but a few.

Any questions, give me a shout!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
29.79%
Take a gap year (12)
25.53%
Resit my exams (8)
17.02%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
12.77%
I don't know yet (4)
8.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.38%

Watched Threads