The Student Room Group

Newcastle University Student Accommodation

I have recently my offer for accommodation at Newcastle University and I am not too happy about it. The offer is for St Mary's College and I was hoping for somewhere like Windsor Terrace or Marris House. St Mary's is just too far from the campus and city centre and it I imagine this would become a bit of a pain throughout the year.

Is there anyone that can offer any advice, perhaps someone who has lived in St Mary's before; is the distance really a problem? How sociable is the hall?

Additionally, are there any other halls that match places like Windsor Terrace and Marris House in terms of price and location that I could consider looking at? This can be university or privately owned accommodation. I would also like somewhere that is sociable too.

Thank you!
I woudnt go for private but it’s just a personal opinion & the distance can become really quite a nuisance but it also depends if they have a good bus system
Reply 2
Original post by Ben Stirling
I woudnt go for private but it’s just a personal opinion & the distance can become really quite a nuisance but it also depends if they have a good bus system

Yeah I'm reluctant to go private, but what are your reasons for avoiding it? There's a few buses in the morning then only one in the evening which doesn't sound great. The accommodation is a good 2 miles away from everything and its not that great of an accommodation either (it is very cheap though which sort of makes up for that), honestly I would much rather pay more to get a better location butt there doesn't seem to be many reasonable options.
Original post by Cstanley61
Yeah I'm reluctant to go private, but what are your reasons for avoiding it? There's a few buses in the morning then only one in the evening which doesn't sound great. The accommodation is a good 2 miles away from everything and its not that great of an accommodation either (it is very cheap though which sort of makes up for that), honestly I would much rather pay more to get a better location butt there doesn't seem to be many reasonable options.

I wouldnt go private because you don’t know who is going to be in there it won’t just be university students it could be anyone who wants to use the accommodation and not being with students/freshers will really affect your uni experience!
Reply 4
Original post by Ben Stirling
I wouldnt go private because you don’t know who is going to be in there it won’t just be university students it could be anyone who wants to use the accommodation and not being with students/freshers will really affect your uni experience!

Exactly my thoughts. I guess I'll have to make the choice between closer accommodation and being with other freshers
Original post by Cstanley61
I have recently my offer for accommodation at Newcastle University and I am not too happy about it. The offer is for St Mary's College and I was hoping for somewhere like Windsor Terrace or Marris House. St Mary's is just too far from the campus and city centre and it I imagine this would become a bit of a pain throughout the year.

Is there anyone that can offer any advice, perhaps someone who has lived in St Mary's before; is the distance really a problem? How sociable is the hall?

Additionally, are there any other halls that match places like Windsor Terrace and Marris House in terms of price and location that I could consider looking at? This can be university or privately owned accommodation. I would also like somewhere that is sociable too.

Thank you!

Have you considered private student only accommodation? We have 3 properties in Newcastle all in the city centre and all of our residents are students. Also, we try and put you with people that are on similar courses to you and are in the same year as well!

How does that sound?

Quick Reply

Latest