Why do people say 'Everyone hates the English'? Watch

anime198
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
y'all conquered like 90% of the world and think you're special when nobody in europe cares about u, ur like europe's (if you're even part of europe, i don't consider you to be) equivalent of americans
Have you met any English people? I think you'll find that many English don't think like that. A lot of English are ashamed of their country. You'll find a lot of that here on this website. You'll get English people saying England has too many problems. I don't think Sweden in general is Anglophobic. Not that I know of anyway. I've never seen any other Anti-English sentiment from your country.
Last edited by anime198; 4 weeks ago
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, Sweden is the third largest music exporter in the entire world. That's not even per capita.
German philosophy.
Russian literature.
Also, doesn't that say something? Half????? We're a small country with a population of 9 million? And half our top songs are in Swedish?
America is a much bigger exporter of literature and music than you are. People have largely forgotten y'alls significance in the world and this will simply be reinforced through Brexit
I don't doubt that Sweden is a large exporter of music. I also don't see why you think I don't see the culture of other countries as valuable...it was you who went down that path. I was merely replying to your claim regarding "you're not a cultural + social part of europe. you voted out, so get out. "

Personally, I voted Remain, as I want to be part of the EU. But I cannot understand why you would be hostile towards a country on the grounds you gave.

Again:
"The five most spoken languages in the EU are English (51%), German (32%), French (26%), Italian (16%) and Spanish (15%). At 18% of the total number of speakers, German is the most widely spoken native language, followed by Italian, English, French and Spanish."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langua...European_Union

Even if the UK leaves the EU, the lingua franca will still be English for the foreseeable future.
Onde
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1. Entitlement = expecting everybody else to speak English. English people regularly go on holiday to Spain and Budapest without bother learning a couple of polite phrases and speak no other languages than English and they give zero ****s. Your colonial entitled mindset still characterizes your way of perceiving the world. What that guy said merely reflected that.
2. Miseducation = people may speak a few phrases in English, but unless you're Scandinavian/Dutch, it may not be more than a few phrases. The best spoken language within the EU is French/German.

also, this is not all british people? you're welsh, that's cool. you're irish, great. you're scottish, wonderful? you english mate? boo.
I don't expect everyone to speak English. I think negatively of empires, whether British, Swedish, or any other.
anime198
Rep:
?
(Original post by Onde)
I don't expect everyone to speak English. I think negatively of empires, whether British, Swedish, or any other.
So why only the English get the short straw and the Scots and the Welsh don't?
angelinahx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Onde)
I don't doubt that Sweden is a large exporter of music. I also don't see why you think I don't see the culture of other countries as valuable...it was you who went down that path. I was merely replying to your claim regarding "you're not a cultural + social part of europe. you voted out, so get out. "

Personally, I voted Remain, as I want to be part of the EU. But I cannot understand why you would be hostile towards a country on the grounds you gave.

Again:
"The five most spoken languages in the EU are English (51%), German (32%), French (26%), Italian (16%) and Spanish (15%). At 18% of the total number of speakers, German is the most widely spoken native language, followed by Italian, English, French and Spanish."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langua...European_Union

Even if the UK leaves the EU, the lingua franca will still be English for the foreseeable future.
I'm really, sorry, but you're not part of Europe. Your government is currently doing everything to not be part of our financial nor political system and culturally, you're unique. That may be a good thing, if you want that! But you're not socially European and nobody considers you that way, not even yourself. https://www.businessinsider.com/brit...16-4?r=US&IR=T

Define spoken? Spoken at a native level? Conversationally fluent? B1?
The primary languages spoken well are French and German and the only reason English maintains significance is because you colonized and raped 90% of the planet. That's not something to be proud of - but then again, maybe it is, if you're British.
anime198
Rep:
?
y'all conquered like 90% of the world and think you're special when nobody in europe cares about u, ur like europe's (if you're even part of europe, i don't consider you to be) equivalent of americans
Also you do know that the Scots and the Welsh took part in the British Empire aswell? Many of the generals were Scottish. So why just give England the short straw?
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by anime198)
Also you do know that the Scots and the Welsh took part in the British Empire aswell? Many of the generals were Scottish. So why just give England the short straw?
STOP PITTING THE BRITISH AGAINST EACH OTHER

the scots are TOLERANT
the irish are FUN
the english
the welsh are MULTILINGUAL
Last edited by angelinahx; 4 weeks ago
anime198
Rep:
?
STOP PITTING THE BRITISH AGAINST EACH OTHER

the scots are TOLERANT
the irish are FUN
the english
the welsh are MULTILINGUAL
Answer my question properly. It was called the British Empire. There wasn't an English Empire. Explain to me why you want to single England out like that.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Some definitely stems from this maybe

So proud.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Answer my question properly. It was called the British Empire. There wasn't an English Empire. Explain to me why you want to single England out like that.
Because it has nothing to do with the British empire and everything to do with the lack of your tolerance of other cultures today and your continual conservative atmosphere and policies which are driving businesses and people away from your country.
anime198
Rep:
?
Because it has nothing to do with the British empire and everything to do with the lack of your tolerance of other cultures today and your continual conservative atmosphere and policies which are driving businesses and people away from your country.
You just said earlier on "Y'all conquered 90% of the world". So you have just completely contradicted yourself. Hypocrisy aswell. I never viewed Sweden as an Anti English country at all but with comments like yours, I really don't know what is the actual truth in your country. Whether you are all actually Anglophobes and do a brilliant job of hiding it. I've never seen any real hatred of us coming from your country. It's never been rumoured or reported.
Last edited by anime198; 4 weeks ago
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You just said earlier on "Y'all conquered 90% of the world". So you have just completely contradicted yourself. Hypocrisy aswell. I never viewed Sweden as an Anti English country at all but with comments like yours, I really don't know what is the actual truth in your country. Whether you are all actually Anglophobes and do a brilliant job of hiding it.
I don't think that the vast majority of Swedes do feel that way about we English, just a few erm, special ones.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Success breeds jealousy
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You just said earlier on "Y'all conquered 90% of the world". So you have just completely contradicted yourself. Hypocrisy aswell. I never viewed Sweden as an Anti English country at all but with comments like yours, I really don't know what is the actual truth in your country. Whether you are all actually Anglophobes and do a brilliant job of hiding it. I've never seen any real hatred of us coming from your country. It's never been rumoured or reported.
if you had conquered the world and left your colonialist attitudes in the past, cool. that's what the scottish did. that's not what the english did and that's why the windrush scandal happened. you've literally never been to sweden, british people don't travel much
anime198
Rep:
?
(Original post by awkwardshortguy)
Think of how many knobheads you know. Then think of how many of them are English.
English football fans are extremely arrogant and behave appallingly. They don't represent all of us though. English rugby fans are the opposite. They respect everyone else and don't go looking for a fight.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
English football fans are extremely arrogant and behave appallingly. They don't represent all of us though. English rugby fans are the opposite. They respect everyone else and don't go looking for a fight.
Yes but to be fair Sweden has it's fair share of hooligans, as do the majority of European countries.
anime198
Rep:
?
if you had conquered the world and left your colonialist attitudes in the past, cool. that's what the scottish did. that's not what the english did and that's why the windrush scandal happened. you've literally never been to sweden, british people don't travel much
I have actually. I have family in Denmark and have been to Sweden many times. And Norway. Never once saw any Anti-English sentiment. Like I said, from the way you're saying things, it sounds like you cover it all up. Which does not sound like Swedish people at all. I always thought you were civilised and did not like to make enemies.
Onde
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm really, sorry, but you're not part of Europe. Your government is currently doing everything to not be part of our financial nor political system and culturally, you're unique. That may be a good thing, if you want that! But you're not socially European and nobody considers you that way, not even yourself. https://www.businessinsider.com/brit...16-4?r=US&IR=T

Define spoken? Spoken at a native level? Conversationally fluent? B1?
The primary languages spoken well are French and German and the only reason English maintains significance is because you colonized and raped 90% of the planet. That's not something to be proud of - but then again, maybe it is, if you're British.
I'd prefer it if there weren't any boundaries.

Isn't culture always what makes something unique?

I did not vote for my government.

I consider myself European, so it is not true that nobody considers me that way. The definition of an European country is strictly a state that is in the EU.

You are certainly correct that English is widely spread in large part due to the historic British Empire. I do not dispute that. Again, I was merely taking issue with your claim that English is not culturally a part of Europe. I did not colonize or rape anyone, and undoubtedly, neither did you. I won't imply that you are proud of Sweden's past history of colonising and raping, because obviously that would be ridiculous.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have actually. I have family in Denmark and have been to Sweden many times. And Norway. Never once saw any Anti-English sentiment. Like I said, from the way you're saying things, it sounds like you cover it all up. Which does not sound like Swedish people at all. I always thought you were civilised and did not like to make enemies.
that's because, we are, sadly, a lot like y'all
we don't say sh*t bc like u, we don't like confrontation
having that said, we're not cool with colonialist racists
NoraSmith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Where's the evidence we fought Norway, Sweden and Denmark? Excluding the Vikings. In more recent centuries, when was the last time we fought all those countries?
The Battle of Copenhagen in 1801 is an example
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
23.96%
Pop (208)
24.79%
Jazz (33)
3.93%
Classical (46)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (162)
19.31%