Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
that's because, we are, sadly, a lot like y'all
we don't say sh*t bc like u, we don't like confrontation
having that said, we're not cool with colonialist racists
Well I always hear things about other countries but never Sweden. The president of Norway even once considered English people to be not foreigners but crazy Norwegians. And even though we voted Brexit ( I didn't because I support the EU) Sweden didn't suddenly start openly hating us for it. With other countries, at least we've been aware that they don't like us. You lot are more open. So what is the actual perspective then? You hate us then. Okay. I'm shocked to hear that because I didn't think you were hateful people.
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
STOP PITTING THE BRITISH AGAINST EACH OTHER

the scots are TOLERANT
the irish are FUN
the english
the welsh are MULTILINGUAL
I was born in England and am only especially fluent at English, but I do not consider myself English. I consider myself British.

One of my parents is English, the other Welsh. Most Welsh people cannot speak Welsh, although my dad was taught it. Welsh people my age are no more bilingual or trilingual than English people my age who learnt more than one language at school as part of the curriculum.
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
that's because, we are, sadly, a lot like y'all
we don't say sh*t bc like u, we don't like confrontation
having that said, we're not cool with colonialist racists
Racists resort to negative generalisations, right?
angelinahx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Onde)
I was born in England and am only especially fluent at English, but I do not consider myself English. I consider myself British.

One of my parents is English, the other Welsh. Most Welsh people cannot speak Welsh, although my dad was taught it. Welsh people my age are no more bilingual or trilingual than English people my age who learnt more than one language at school as part of the curriculum.
i was taking the complete piss but go off sis!
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by anime198)
Well I always hear things about other countries but never Sweden. The president of Norway even once considered English people to be not foreigners but crazy Norwegians. And even though we voted Brexit ( I didn't because I support the EU) Sweden didn't suddenly start openly hating us for it. With other countries, at least we've been aware that they don't like us. You lot are more open. So what is the actual perspective then? You hate us then. Okay. I'm shocked to hear that because I didn't think you were hateful people.
We don't particularly like conservative ex-colonialists. Most Swedish people are pretty left-leaning and tend to be scared of the emerging threat of the far-right. You don't necessarily embody that but we tend to see Brexit as thoroughly idiotic (as in, Trump-level idiotic) and we tend to see it as a rejection of immigration, which we found peculiar as we thought of you as a generally tolerant folk (like us). We look at you like we look at America.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Onde)
I'd prefer it if there weren't any boundaries.

Isn't culture always what makes something unique?

I did not vote for my government.

I consider myself European, so it is not true that nobody considers me that way. The definition of an European country is strictly a state that is in the EU.

You are certainly correct that English is widely spread in large part due to the historic British Empire. I do not dispute that. Again, I was merely taking issue with your claim that English is not culturally a part of Europe. I did not colonize or rape anyone, and undoubtedly, neither did you. I won't imply that you are proud of Sweden's past history of colonising and raping, because obviously that would be ridiculous.
Wish more British people felt the way you do. Sadly, they don't.
I've never experienced xenophobia in the UK because I'm Swedish and y'all think we're friends but you'll tear down hard-working Romanians in the next breath.
Last edited by angelinahx; 4 weeks ago
anime198
Rep:
?
We don't particularly like conservative ex-colonialists. Most Swedish people are pretty left-leaning and tend to be scared of the emerging threat of the far-right. You don't necessarily embody that but we tend to see Brexit as thoroughly idiotic (as in, Trump-level idiotic) and we tend to see it as a rejection of immigration, which we found peculiar as we thought of you as a generally tolerant folk (like us). We look at you like we look at America.
Well you said earlier on that you hate the English. If it's to do with Brexit then okay. But if it's because you just hate the way we are and your country hates us for colonialism then I'm just surprised because as far as I know, we never conquered you and made you part of the British Empire. Norway was once part of the Danish Empire but they don't still hate the Danish. I've just never come across such strong hatred for us from Sweden so I was taken aback by your comment.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well you said earlier on that you hate the English. If it's to do with Brexit then okay. But if it's because you just hate the way we are and your country hates us for colonialism then I'm just surprised because as far as I know, we never conquered you and made you part of the British Empire. Norway was once part of the Danish Empire but they don't still hate the Danish. I've just never come across such strong hatred for us from Sweden so I was taken aback by your comment.
Nobody hates the UK lol. We consider you stupid for Brexit and we don't like your colonial past but nobody seriously hates the English. I was mostly taking the piss - but having that said, there are a lot of things about the UK I still don't like - your weather, your excessive apologizing, and your government. Do the English hate the Swedes?
anime198
Rep:
?
Nobody hates the UK lol. We consider you stupid for Brexit and we don't like your colonial past but nobody seriously hates the English. I was mostly taking the piss - but having that said, there are a lot of things about the UK I still don't like - your weather, your excessive apologizing, and your government. Do the English hate the Swedes?
Of course not. Why would we? You never did anything to us. We don't hate the Danish for taking us over in the Viking age. In fact, had it not been for them, we wouldn't have the England we have now. They may have pushed the Celtics out ( Anglo Saxons did that aswell) but they still formed the country. It's like America. The Natives all got forced out but it's because of the vast immigration from other countries that the America we know today exists and trades with the world. And people do hate the UK actually but my question was why do people say "Everyone" when there have been positive responses from various countries. The Irish hate us and for a very good reason. We're getting along now, for the most part, but there's no denying there's still bitter resentment. India still has resentment towards us so it definitely does exist.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So it would be okay to hate British people that voted to leave the EU?
xwikiix
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wish more British people felt the way you do. Sadly, they don't.
I've never experienced xenophobia in the UK because I'm Swedish and y'all think we're friends but you'll tear down hard-working Romanians in the next breath.
This is definitely true, being Polish, I have heard many remarks and xenophobic comments with rising threats. Being Eastern European is defiantly not fun since the whole Brexit debacle and I wish the English would chill with the anti immigration sometimes. Who at the end of the day contributes to the taxes of 'your' country?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The same reason people say 'americans are fat', 'French have bad breath' and 'russians are humourless' it's a stereotype. although one that holds fairly true considering how badly the English have blotted their copy book in the past.
I remember speaking to a friend who worked for a French oil company who was out on a rig and the people on it wouldnt talk to him, eventually he walked over and asked what the problem was. the french reply that he's english and they dont like the english. He replies i'm not ****ing english im a scotsman! they still talk to this day :lol:
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
So it would be okay to hate British people that voted to leave the EU?
Sure, why not.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Sure, why not.
It's an extremely narrow minded view, but whatever floats your boat.
Out of curiosity do you personally know anyone that voted to leave, a friend or family member perhaps, if so do you hate them?
Are you so far into an anti brexit bubble that you believe it's acceptable to hate someone that has a differing view to yourself, because if that is the case then the term snowflake could not be any more applicable.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
It's an extremely narrow minded view, but whatever floats your boat.
Out of curiosity do you personally know anyone that voted to leave, a friend or family member perhaps, if so do you hate them?
Are you so far into an anti brexit bubble that you believe it's acceptable to hate someone that has a differing view to yourself, because if that is the case then the term snowflake could not be any more applicable.
Oh dear me, you took an obviously flippant remark a touch seriously. At any rate i was simply providing you the answer you wanted to hear...
As for my own views on people who voted brexit? A have both friends and family who voted to leave... i can think them credulous and not hate them. The ones i do hate are the politicos who sold the lie though. It would, aside from being a waste of time, be pointless to hate the people in the north (for example) who voted out as they believe it to be in their best interest - not an unreasonable position given how theyre treated - I can respect that but as i said i will not respect the mendacious liar who sold it.
Oh quit it with the faux moral outrage, given your espoused and implied views of remainers you are in absolutely no position to be casting stones on the topic.
Yes, i am totally a snowflake :rolleyes: although i would point out that you appear to be grossly misusing the term there.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Oh dear me, you took an obviously flippant remark a touch seriously. At any rate i was simply providing you the answer you wanted to hear...
As for my own views on people who voted brexit? A have both friends and family who voted to leave... i can think them credulous and not hate them. The ones i do hate are the politicos who sold the lie though. It would, aside from being a waste of time, be pointless to hate the people in the north (for example) who voted out as they believe it to be in their best interest - not an unreasonable position given how theyre treated - I can respect that but as i said i will not respect the mendacious liar who sold it.
Oh quit it with the faux moral outrage, given your espoused and implied views of remainers you are in absolutely no position to be casting stones on the topic.
Yes, i am totally a snowflake :rolleyes: although i would point out that you appear to be grossly misusing the term there.
I'm not morally outraged, I would feel sorry for anyone that is that incapable of accepting the rights of opposing views.
I'm also glad that you were only being flippant, although that's not easy to judge in the written word and there are some more vitriolic types on both sides of the argument that do think that way.
Also snowflake is a perfectly acceptable term for someone that cannot accept others views.

Snowflake (slang)
Read in another language

Watch this page
Edit
Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. Common usages include the terms special snowflake, Generation Snowflake, and snowflake as a politicized insult
anime198
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
The same reason people say 'americans are fat', 'French have bad breath' and 'russians are humourless' it's a stereotype. although one that holds fairly true considering how badly the English have blotted their copy book in the past.
I remember speaking to a friend who worked for a French oil company who was out on a rig and the people on it wouldnt talk to him, eventually he walked over and asked what the problem was. the french reply that he's english and they dont like the english. He replies i'm not ****ing english im a scotsman! they still talk to this day :lol:
I've never heard of French people discriminating against English people like that. I have English friends that work in France and they've always got along.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if you had conquered the world and left your colonialist attitudes in the past, cool. that's what the scottish did. that's not what the english did and that's why the windrush scandal happened.
That's proper idiocy. The idea that somehow people in England are sitting back, yearning for the days of empire that the majority don't even remember is daft.

The Windrush Scandal happened because some civil servants destroyed landing records from more than half a century ago and certain people didn't retain their stamped passports that were the only evidence of their right to remain in the UK.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
That's proper idiocy. The idea that somehow people in England are sitting back, yearning for the days of empire that the majority don't even remember is daft.

The Windrush Scandal happened because some civil servants destroyed landing records from more than half a century ago and certain people didn't retain their stamped passports that were the only evidence of their right to remain in the UK.
You clearly don't understand the concept of implicit norms and attitudes. Just because people don't actively want colonialism back, doesn't mean colonial-based racism, implicit biases in your judicial system, and cultural entitlement doesn't influence everything the English do.
The Windrush Scandal was based on racism. You illegally deported hundreds of black residents away from their families because you thought they were illegal immigrants for being black. Y'all are gross.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Actually a lot of Irish, Aussies, Americans and Scots do hate us. Just you hear about the ones that like us more. Traits cited include smugness, pomposity, snobbery and moral hypocrisy
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed