Why do people say 'Everyone hates the English'?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
anime198
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
Nobody hates the UK lol. We consider you stupid for Brexit and we don't like your colonial past but nobody seriously hates the English. I was mostly taking the piss - but having that said, there are a lot of things about the UK I still don't like - your weather, your excessive apologizing, and your government. Do the English hate the Swedes?
Of course not. Why would we? You never did anything to us. We don't hate the Danish for taking us over in the Viking age. In fact, had it not been for them, we wouldn't have the England we have now. They may have pushed the Celtics out ( Anglo Saxons did that aswell) but they still formed the country. It's like America. The Natives all got forced out but it's because of the vast immigration from other countries that the America we know today exists and trades with the world. And people do hate the UK actually but my question was why do people say "Everyone" when there have been positive responses from various countries. The Irish hate us and for a very good reason. We're getting along now, for the most part, but there's no denying there's still bitter resentment. India still has resentment towards us so it definitely does exist.
ColinDent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anime198)
Well you said earlier on that you hate the English. If it's to do with Brexit then okay. But if it's because you just hate the way we are and your country hates us for colonialism then I'm just surprised because as far as I know, we never conquered you and made you part of the British Empire. Norway was once part of the Danish Empire but they don't still hate the Danish. I've just never come across such strong hatred for us from Sweden so I was taken aback by your comment.
So it would be okay to hate British people that voted to leave the EU?
xwikiix
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wish more British people felt the way you do. Sadly, they don't.
I've never experienced xenophobia in the UK because I'm Swedish and y'all think we're friends but you'll tear down hard-working Romanians in the next breath.
This is definitely true, being Polish, I have heard many remarks and xenophobic comments with rising threats. Being Eastern European is defiantly not fun since the whole Brexit debacle and I wish the English would chill with the anti immigration sometimes. Who at the end of the day contributes to the taxes of 'your' country?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The same reason people say 'americans are fat', 'French have bad breath' and 'russians are humourless' it's a stereotype. although one that holds fairly true considering how badly the English have blotted their copy book in the past.
I remember speaking to a friend who worked for a French oil company who was out on a rig and the people on it wouldnt talk to him, eventually he walked over and asked what the problem was. the french reply that he's english and they dont like the english. He replies i'm not ****ing english im a scotsman! they still talk to this day :lol:
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
So it would be okay to hate British people that voted to leave the EU?
Sure, why not.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)
Sure, why not.
It's an extremely narrow minded view, but whatever floats your boat.
Out of curiosity do you personally know anyone that voted to leave, a friend or family member perhaps, if so do you hate them?
Are you so far into an anti brexit bubble that you believe it's acceptable to hate someone that has a differing view to yourself, because if that is the case then the term snowflake could not be any more applicable.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
It's an extremely narrow minded view, but whatever floats your boat.
Out of curiosity do you personally know anyone that voted to leave, a friend or family member perhaps, if so do you hate them?
Are you so far into an anti brexit bubble that you believe it's acceptable to hate someone that has a differing view to yourself, because if that is the case then the term snowflake could not be any more applicable.
Oh dear me, you took an obviously flippant remark a touch seriously. At any rate i was simply providing you the answer you wanted to hear...
As for my own views on people who voted brexit? A have both friends and family who voted to leave... i can think them credulous and not hate them. The ones i do hate are the politicos who sold the lie though. It would, aside from being a waste of time, be pointless to hate the people in the north (for example) who voted out as they believe it to be in their best interest - not an unreasonable position given how theyre treated - I can respect that but as i said i will not respect the mendacious liar who sold it.
Oh quit it with the faux moral outrage, given your espoused and implied views of remainers you are in absolutely no position to be casting stones on the topic.
Yes, i am totally a snowflake :rolleyes: although i would point out that you appear to be grossly misusing the term there.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)
Oh dear me, you took an obviously flippant remark a touch seriously. At any rate i was simply providing you the answer you wanted to hear...
As for my own views on people who voted brexit? A have both friends and family who voted to leave... i can think them credulous and not hate them. The ones i do hate are the politicos who sold the lie though. It would, aside from being a waste of time, be pointless to hate the people in the north (for example) who voted out as they believe it to be in their best interest - not an unreasonable position given how theyre treated - I can respect that but as i said i will not respect the mendacious liar who sold it.
Oh quit it with the faux moral outrage, given your espoused and implied views of remainers you are in absolutely no position to be casting stones on the topic.
Yes, i am totally a snowflake :rolleyes: although i would point out that you appear to be grossly misusing the term there.
I'm not morally outraged, I would feel sorry for anyone that is that incapable of accepting the rights of opposing views.
I'm also glad that you were only being flippant, although that's not easy to judge in the written word and there are some more vitriolic types on both sides of the argument that do think that way.
Also snowflake is a perfectly acceptable term for someone that cannot accept others views.

Snowflake (slang)
Read in another language

Watch this page
Edit
Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. Common usages include the terms special snowflake, Generation Snowflake, and snowflake as a politicized insult
anime198
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
The same reason people say 'americans are fat', 'French have bad breath' and 'russians are humourless' it's a stereotype. although one that holds fairly true considering how badly the English have blotted their copy book in the past.
I remember speaking to a friend who worked for a French oil company who was out on a rig and the people on it wouldnt talk to him, eventually he walked over and asked what the problem was. the french reply that he's english and they dont like the english. He replies i'm not ****ing english im a scotsman! they still talk to this day :lol:
I've never heard of French people discriminating against English people like that. I have English friends that work in France and they've always got along.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you had conquered the world and left your colonialist attitudes in the past, cool. that's what the scottish did. that's not what the english did and that's why the windrush scandal happened.
That's proper idiocy. The idea that somehow people in England are sitting back, yearning for the days of empire that the majority don't even remember is daft.

The Windrush Scandal happened because some civil servants destroyed landing records from more than half a century ago and certain people didn't retain their stamped passports that were the only evidence of their right to remain in the UK.
angelinahx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by L i b)
That's proper idiocy. The idea that somehow people in England are sitting back, yearning for the days of empire that the majority don't even remember is daft.

The Windrush Scandal happened because some civil servants destroyed landing records from more than half a century ago and certain people didn't retain their stamped passports that were the only evidence of their right to remain in the UK.
You clearly don't understand the concept of implicit norms and attitudes. Just because people don't actively want colonialism back, doesn't mean colonial-based racism, implicit biases in your judicial system, and cultural entitlement doesn't influence everything the English do.
The Windrush Scandal was based on racism. You illegally deported hundreds of black residents away from their families because you thought they were illegal immigrants for being black. Y'all are gross.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Actually a lot of Irish, Aussies, Americans and Scots do hate us. Just you hear about the ones that like us more. Traits cited include smugness, pomposity, snobbery and moral hypocrisy
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 1 year ago
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You clearly don't understand the concept of implicit norms and attitudes. Just because people don't actively want colonialism back, doesn't mean colonial-based racism, implicit biases in your judicial system, and cultural entitlement doesn't influence everything the English do.
The Windrush Scandal was based on racism. You illegally deported hundreds of black residents away from their families because you thought they were illegal immigrants for being black. Y'all are gross.
Oh I understand it, insofar as it is a concept, I simply reject some of the ridiculous narrative surrounding it that seeks to see virtually everything through a prism of divisive identity politics. While I accept racism still very much exists in our society, I completely reject those who reject evidence and instead ascribe things to racism instinctively. This is no different from the "truthiness" used by actual racists to condemn minority groups without recourse to evidence or logic.

In this situation a number of people were deported because they were not British citizens, they had lost or destroyed their evidence of having a right to remain in the United Kingdom and the records that could have demonstrated their right to remain that were held by the UK Government were destroyed following a decision in 2009 as civil servants didn't think that a collection of written records from the 1950s-70s had current relevance. You can throw blame around: Home Office officials who destroyed the landing cards, individual immigrants who did not keep their only record of their immigration status - ultimately it was a number of understandable decisions that led to bad outcomes.

In any case, the idea that "hundreds" were deported is simple another falsehood. The number, as provided by the Home Office in November, of confirmed wrongful deportations was 83, with the possibility of a further 81 being questionable.

Anyway, I also notice that you are picking on "the English" here. Speaking as a person who isn't English, I would like to point out that these actions were of UK civil servants: some of whom are English, many of whom are other British citizens, and a great many who are not British citizens. It seems rather unpleasant to artificially focus on English people, but I suppose they're seen as an easy target.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because apart from us, they're all made to learn it at school.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I didn't know everyone hated the English, thought it was only the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish. And the French, of course.
anime198
Rep:
?
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
Actually a lot of Irish, Aussies, Americans and Scots do hate us. Just you hear about the ones that like us more. Traits cited include smugness, pomposity, snobbery and moral hypocrisy
Some do but a lot of Americans seem to be huge Anglophiles. They always go on about how great the UK is, they admire our comedies and all that.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by L i b)
Oh I understand it, insofar as it is a concept, I simply reject some of the ridiculous narrative surrounding it that seeks to see virtually everything through a prism of divisive identity politics. While I accept racism still very much exists in our society, I completely reject those who reject evidence and instead ascribe things to racism instinctively. This is no different from the "truthiness" used by actual racists to condemn minority groups without recourse to evidence or logic.

In this situation a number of people were deported because they were not British citizens, they had lost or destroyed their evidence of having a right to remain in the United Kingdom and the records that could have demonstrated their right to remain that were held by the UK Government were destroyed following a decision in 2009 as civil servants didn't think that a collection of written records from the 1950s-70s had current relevance. You can throw blame around: Home Office officials who destroyed the landing cards, individual immigrants who did not keep their only record of their immigration status - ultimately it was a number of understandable decisions that led to bad outcomes.

In any case, the idea that "hundreds" were deported is simple another falsehood. The number, as provided by the Home Office in November, of confirmed wrongful deportations was 83, with the possibility of a further 81 being questionable.

Anyway, I also notice that you are picking on "the English" here. Speaking as a person who isn't English, I would like to point out that these actions were of UK civil servants: some of whom are English, many of whom are other British citizens, and a great many who are not British citizens. It seems rather unpleasant to artificially focus on English people, but I suppose they're seen as an easy target.
Too long, didn't read. I can tell you put a lot of work and effort into this text. Unfortunately, poor readability is indicative of bad writing and a misunderstanding of one's own social context and its appropriate register. Have a blessed day.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are sanctimonious throughout this thread. Sweden is brainwashed and reflexively pc on every issue. Hence why the media brainwashed you and you accept mass rapid immigration into a minute country. Germans who've done this are also often piously righteous about it. Britain has a history of it and more genuine integration. Britain is more genuinely open minded. But besides, there is nothing wrong with conservatism at this point, but righteous Liberal zealots love to stifle other views, fascistically, and conflate it with the right or far right, and so end up encouraging that. No empire has been any better to be in. Portuguese? Spanish? French? Germans in East Africa? Oh and what about abolition of slavery, fighting fascism when Europe colluded? Just ditch the sanctimony. Its easy to be righteous about colinization when you never had colonies, though we could go back to the brutality of vikings......
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 1 year ago
anime198
Rep:
?
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
You are sanctimonious throughout this thread. Sweden is brainwashed and reflexively pc on every issue. Hence why the media brainwashed you and you accept mass rapid immigration into a minute country. Germans who've done this are also often piously righteous about it. Britain has a history of it and more genuine integration. Britain is more genuinely open minded. But besides, there is nothing wrong with conservatism at this point, but righteous Liberal zealots love to stifle other views, fascistically, and conflate it with the right or far right, and so end up encouraging that. No empire has been any better to be in. Portuguese? Spanish? French? Germans in East Africa? Oh and what about abolition of slavery, fighting fascism when Europe colluded? Just ditch the sanctimony. Its easy to be righteous about colinization when you never had colonies, though we could go back to the brutality of vikings......
You're the one that's being arrogant
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Too long, didn't read. I can tell you put a lot of work and effort into this text. Unfortunately, poor readability is indicative of bad writing and a misunderstanding of one's own social context and its appropriate register. Have a blessed day.
tl;dr version: you're not terribly bright, don't understand politics and probably a bigot.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (191)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (554)
14.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (421)
11.14%
Lack of purpose or motivation (519)
13.73%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (189)
5%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (226)
5.98%
Loneliness (317)
8.39%
Financial worries (139)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (147)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (169)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (215)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (337)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (355)
9.39%

Watched Threads