Why do people say 'Everyone hates the English'? Watch

L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
You clearly don't understand the concept of implicit norms and attitudes. Just because people don't actively want colonialism back, doesn't mean colonial-based racism, implicit biases in your judicial system, and cultural entitlement doesn't influence everything the English do.
The Windrush Scandal was based on racism. You illegally deported hundreds of black residents away from their families because you thought they were illegal immigrants for being black. Y'all are gross.
Oh I understand it, insofar as it is a concept, I simply reject some of the ridiculous narrative surrounding it that seeks to see virtually everything through a prism of divisive identity politics. While I accept racism still very much exists in our society, I completely reject those who reject evidence and instead ascribe things to racism instinctively. This is no different from the "truthiness" used by actual racists to condemn minority groups without recourse to evidence or logic.

In this situation a number of people were deported because they were not British citizens, they had lost or destroyed their evidence of having a right to remain in the United Kingdom and the records that could have demonstrated their right to remain that were held by the UK Government were destroyed following a decision in 2009 as civil servants didn't think that a collection of written records from the 1950s-70s had current relevance. You can throw blame around: Home Office officials who destroyed the landing cards, individual immigrants who did not keep their only record of their immigration status - ultimately it was a number of understandable decisions that led to bad outcomes.

In any case, the idea that "hundreds" were deported is simple another falsehood. The number, as provided by the Home Office in November, of confirmed wrongful deportations was 83, with the possibility of a further 81 being questionable.

Anyway, I also notice that you are picking on "the English" here. Speaking as a person who isn't English, I would like to point out that these actions were of UK civil servants: some of whom are English, many of whom are other British citizens, and a great many who are not British citizens. It seems rather unpleasant to artificially focus on English people, but I suppose they're seen as an easy target.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because apart from us, they're all made to learn it at school.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I didn't know everyone hated the English, thought it was only the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish. And the French, of course.
anime198
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
Actually a lot of Irish, Aussies, Americans and Scots do hate us. Just you hear about the ones that like us more. Traits cited include smugness, pomposity, snobbery and moral hypocrisy
Some do but a lot of Americans seem to be huge Anglophiles. They always go on about how great the UK is, they admire our comedies and all that.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
Oh I understand it, insofar as it is a concept, I simply reject some of the ridiculous narrative surrounding it that seeks to see virtually everything through a prism of divisive identity politics. While I accept racism still very much exists in our society, I completely reject those who reject evidence and instead ascribe things to racism instinctively. This is no different from the "truthiness" used by actual racists to condemn minority groups without recourse to evidence or logic.

In this situation a number of people were deported because they were not British citizens, they had lost or destroyed their evidence of having a right to remain in the United Kingdom and the records that could have demonstrated their right to remain that were held by the UK Government were destroyed following a decision in 2009 as civil servants didn't think that a collection of written records from the 1950s-70s had current relevance. You can throw blame around: Home Office officials who destroyed the landing cards, individual immigrants who did not keep their only record of their immigration status - ultimately it was a number of understandable decisions that led to bad outcomes.

In any case, the idea that "hundreds" were deported is simple another falsehood. The number, as provided by the Home Office in November, of confirmed wrongful deportations was 83, with the possibility of a further 81 being questionable.

Anyway, I also notice that you are picking on "the English" here. Speaking as a person who isn't English, I would like to point out that these actions were of UK civil servants: some of whom are English, many of whom are other British citizens, and a great many who are not British citizens. It seems rather unpleasant to artificially focus on English people, but I suppose they're seen as an easy target.
Too long, didn't read. I can tell you put a lot of work and effort into this text. Unfortunately, poor readability is indicative of bad writing and a misunderstanding of one's own social context and its appropriate register. Have a blessed day.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You are sanctimonious throughout this thread. Sweden is brainwashed and reflexively pc on every issue. Hence why the media brainwashed you and you accept mass rapid immigration into a minute country. Germans who've done this are also often piously righteous about it. Britain has a history of it and more genuine integration. Britain is more genuinely open minded. But besides, there is nothing wrong with conservatism at this point, but righteous Liberal zealots love to stifle other views, fascistically, and conflate it with the right or far right, and so end up encouraging that. No empire has been any better to be in. Portuguese? Spanish? French? Germans in East Africa? Oh and what about abolition of slavery, fighting fascism when Europe colluded? Just ditch the sanctimony. Its easy to be righteous about colinization when you never had colonies, though we could go back to the brutality of vikings......
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 3 weeks ago
anime198
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
You are sanctimonious throughout this thread. Sweden is brainwashed and reflexively pc on every issue. Hence why the media brainwashed you and you accept mass rapid immigration into a minute country. Germans who've done this are also often piously righteous about it. Britain has a history of it and more genuine integration. Britain is more genuinely open minded. But besides, there is nothing wrong with conservatism at this point, but righteous Liberal zealots love to stifle other views, fascistically, and conflate it with the right or far right, and so end up encouraging that. No empire has been any better to be in. Portuguese? Spanish? French? Germans in East Africa? Oh and what about abolition of slavery, fighting fascism when Europe colluded? Just ditch the sanctimony. Its easy to be righteous about colinization when you never had colonies, though we could go back to the brutality of vikings......
You're the one that's being arrogant
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Too long, didn't read. I can tell you put a lot of work and effort into this text. Unfortunately, poor readability is indicative of bad writing and a misunderstanding of one's own social context and its appropriate register. Have a blessed day.
tl;dr version: you're not terribly bright, don't understand politics and probably a bigot.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
"When in Rome, do as the British do"
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
tl;dr version: you're not terribly bright, don't understand politics and probably a bigot.
This year, I got four unconditional offers for Politics & IR from all RG universities and I've deferred my offer for Politics at UoB. I got ABB at A-level without studying, have a higher IQ than average and I do in fact understand Politics. Your expectation of me to have expertise knowledge on British politics (in contrast to world politics or American politics) when I've clearly specified that I'm not British stems from what I've been saying all along and what all of you have so adamantly denied - that your colonial past has shaped and formed a national mentality sustained on entitlement. Of course everybody speaks English, why shouldn't they? And they should also do so when I go on lads holiday to get pissed and high and disrespect the locals/settle down at 65 in Amsterdam/Budapest/Barcelona/Portugal so there's no reason for me to learn a second language despite the rest of the world speaking two. Of course everybody knows the ins and outs of British politics, why shouldn't they? Of course they should know the exact number of black people who we illegally deported from our country because we lack a functional social security system in our country which forces our immigrants to hold on to 45-year old documents to not face getting deported after 40 years in the country and they should of course, know that. Of course they should know the intricacies of our countless political scandals established on institutional racism. If they don't, they don't understand politics full stop.

Aaaaand that is why I don't like the English. Another reason stems from your consistent lack of respect for democracy, your massive income inequality and repressive class system.
Last edited by angelinahx; 3 weeks ago
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You are sanctimonious throughout this thread. Sweden is brainwashed and reflexively pc on every issue. Hence why the media brainwashed you and you accept mass rapid immigration into a minute country.
But we don't. Mass immigration has largely stopped (there is massive border control from Denmark to Sweden and we've deported a huge number of people). This started in 2016 because of the terrorist attack in Stockholm yet the alt right continues to pursue this level of argument (kind of like they pursue the concept of no-go zones. A family member of mine lives in a so called "no-go zone" - with renovated apartments, pretty parks, swimming pools, playgrounds and friendly, terrifying people who say hello in the streets to each other and pet each others dogs). Also, Sweden isn't small. We're not "minute". We're the fifth largest country in Europe by area - we're larger than Germany. Also, the Viking culture is no longer affecting Sweden or any of the Nordic countries. We learn about it in the fifth grade and then we go on day tours to museums with our history school class and our mum packs us packed lunches. It has no influence on our current culture. The same cannot be said for the UK and especially not England. The Brexit vote was inherently founded upon colonial entitlement - no country should be able economially/politically control you, yet it's perfectly fine for you to undemocratically suspend Parliament in order to drive through British laws. Your anti-immigration mindset (EU citizens jumping the queue, the Windrush scandal etc) all stems from that.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This year, I got four unconditional offers for Politics & IR from all RG universities and I've deferred my offer for Politics at UoB. I got ABB at A-level without studying, have a higher IQ than average and I do in fact understand Politics. Your expectation of me to have expertise knowledge on British politics (in contrast to world politics or American politics) when I've clearly specified that I'm not British stems from what I've been saying all along and what all of you have so adamantly denied - that your colonial past has shaped and formed a national mentality sustained on entitlement. Of course everybody speaks English, why shouldn't they? And they should also do so when I go on lads holiday to get pissed and high and disrespect the locals/settle down at 65 in Amsterdam/Budapest/Barcelona/Portugal so there's no reason for me to learn a second language despite the rest of the world speaking two. Of course everybody knows the ins and outs of British politics, why shouldn't they? Of course they should know the exact number of black people who we illegally deported from our country because we lack a functional social security system in our country which forces our immigrants to hold on to 45-year old documents to not face getting deported after 40 years in the country and they should of course, know that. Of course they should know the intricacies of our countless political scandals established on institutional racism. If they don't, they don't understand politics full stop.

Aaaaand that is why I don't like the English. Another reason stems from your consistent lack of respect for democracy, your massive income inequality and repressive class system.
Sorry, I gave up on reading that after the rather sorry boast of having been accepted to study Politics and IR at some universities.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What a rant.....why are you going to uni in England if you have so little respect for the English?
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
What a rant.....why are you going to uni in England if you have so little respect for the English?
I'm really contemplating changing it - initially I did so solely because of London but I don't think I would be able to live in a country so deeply undemocratic as yours.
(Original post by L i b)
Sorry, I gave up on reading that after the rather sorry boast of having been accepted to study Politics and IR at some universities.
You said I lacked knowledge on Politics. I said: I do not. Your expectation of me to have expertise knowledge on British politics (in contrast to world politics or American politics) when I've clearly specified that I'm not British stems from what I've been saying all along and what all of you have so adamantly denied - that your colonial past has shaped and formed a national mentality sustained on entitlement. Of course everybody speaks English, why shouldn't they? And they should also do so when I go on lads holiday to get pissed and high and disrespect the locals/settle down at 65 in Amsterdam/Budapest/Barcelona/Portugal so there's no reason for me to learn a second language despite the rest of the world speaking two. Of course everybody knows the ins and outs of British politics, why shouldn't they? Of course they should know the exact number of black people who we illegally deported from our country because we lack a functional social security system in our country which forces our immigrants to hold on to 45-year old documents to not face getting deported after 40 years in the country and they should of course, know that. Of course they should know the intricacies of our countless political scandals established on institutional racism. If they don't, they don't understand politics full stop.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm really contemplating changing it - initially I did so solely because of London but I don't think I would be able to live in a country so deeply undemocratic as yours.
You should, you sound like you hate us
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Oooh look it is anime with the anti English threads again.

If anyone is wondering anime has other accounts comprised of the same.

Name:  anime198.PNG
Views: 14
Size:  11.1 KB
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But we don't. Mass immigration has largely stopped (there is massive border control from Denmark to Sweden and we've deported a huge number of people). This started in 2016 because of the terrorist attack in Stockholm yet the alt right continues to pursue this level of argument (kind of like they pursue the concept of no-go zones. A family member of mine lives in a so called "no-go zone" - with renovated apartments, pretty parks, swimming pools, playgrounds and friendly, terrifying people who say hello in the streets to each other and pet each others dogs). Also, Sweden isn't small. We're not "minute". We're the fifth largest country in Europe by area - we're larger than Germany. Also, the Viking culture is no longer affecting Sweden or any of the Nordic countries. We learn about it in the fifth grade and then we go on day tours to museums with our history school class and our mum packs us packed lunches. It has no influence on our current culture. The same cannot be said for the UK and especially not England. The Brexit vote was inherently founded upon colonial entitlement - no country should be able economially/politically control you, yet it's perfectly fine for you to undemocratically suspend Parliament in order to drive through British laws. Your anti-immigration mindset (EU citizens jumping the queue, the Windrush scandal etc) all stems from that.
It has nothing to do with 'colonial entitlement' that's just nonsense. It's about independence. The entitled and dictatorial people are the ones who think they know what's best for us and that we should have no democratic say on our future. And again, numerous countries have colonial pasts, equally or more brutal than ours (France and Spain) Its easy to be righteous when you are a country not if the scale to have colonies. I don't hear anything about German entitlement even though they decimated Europe and still treat it in an arrogant, high handed manner. And we did stand alone against fascism when other nations colluded through self interested calculation. So why not gave some balance, instead of this hypocrisy? I'm tired of the UK being the receptacle for sanctimony, and I'm tired of sanctimony about historical events, all reduced to a morally simplistic and self serving argument.
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 3 weeks ago
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
"When in Rome, do as the British do"
Get drunk and vomit?
NinjaBurger1337
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anime198)
Not Scandinavia or Japan. I've done a lot of research and I've never, ever seen any conflict between England and Scandinavia or England and Japan. The Japanese are actually huge Anglophiles. We did fight with America but they've forgiven us and consider us one of their best friends. I highly doubt they would say that if they hated us.
Do you count the Viking invaders as a war with Scandinavia?
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Get drunk and vomit?
*Rule Britannia intensifies*

Spoiler:
Show
not British btw - just for the memez

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed