Why do people say 'Everyone hates the English'? Watch

moggis
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m English and while I don’t hate the English I certainly don’t like them. I mean I can easily think if thirty nationalities I’d rather share a cell with .
Most English people are either Tories or ill educated violent or aggressive thugs.
moggis
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
But we don't. Mass immigration has largely stopped (there is massive border control from Denmark to Sweden and we've deported a huge number of people). This started in 2016 because of the terrorist attack in Stockholm yet the alt right continues to pursue this level of argument (kind of like they pursue the concept of no-go zones. A family member of mine lives in a so called "no-go zone" - with renovated apartments, pretty parks, swimming pools, playgrounds and friendly, terrifying people who say hello in the streets to each other and pet each others dogs). Also, Sweden isn't small. We're not "minute". We're the fifth largest country in Europe by area - we're larger than Germany. Also, the Viking culture is no longer affecting Sweden or any of the Nordic countries. We learn about it in the fifth grade and then we go on day tours to museums with our history school class and our mum packs us packed lunches. It has no influence on our current culture. The same cannot be said for the UK and especially not England. The Brexit vote was inherently founded upon colonial entitlement - no country should be able economially/politically control you, yet it's perfectly fine for you to undemocratically suspend Parliament in order to drive through British laws. Your anti-immigration mindset (EU citizens jumping the queue, the Windrush scandal etc) all stems from that.
I’ve just pointed out that I don’t like the English even though I’m English so I want to pick you up on your point about the ant immigration mindset as you put it.
I think the main cause of anti immigration feeling in this country is because everyone realises that for ordinary people of average intelligence the best way to improve your lot in this country is to buy a house.
And almost all people of average intelligence believe that the more people that come here the harder it is for ordinary people to buy a house .
I myself , in spite of being left leaning for many many years am appalled at the way mass immigration has been foisted on the working classes by the useless two main parties while they allow a chronic lack of housing to continue .
In the 60s black people and others suffered a great deal of prejudice but that wasnt special to the English .
angelinahx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moggis)
I’ve just pointed out that I don’t like the English even though I’m English so I want to pick you up on your point about the ant immigration mindset as you put it.
I think the main cause of anti immigration feeling in this country is because everyone realises that for ordinary people of average intelligence the best way to improve your lot in this country is to buy a house.
And almost all people of average intelligence believe that the more people that come here the harder it is for ordinary people to buy a house .
I myself , in spite of being left leaning for many many years am appalled at the way mass immigration has been foisted on the working classes by the useless two main parties while they allow a chronic lack of housing to continue .
In the 60s black people and others suffered a great deal of prejudice but that wasnt special to the English .
The main reason for anti-immigration sentiments within the UK (and elsewhere really) is the realization that politicians - and especially those who are British - are fundamentally useless. Instead of actually focusing on that, people find a scapegoat (in the 2016, that was the EU) to blame which establishes an us vs them sentiment because that's easier to deal with and actually do something about because it's pinpointed and specific. The chronic lack of affordable housing is not the individual fault of immigrants for "stealing your houses" but rather, the Right to Buy policy which was initiated by Thatcher in the 80s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (12)
6.42%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.16%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.11%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.43%
There's nothing they could do (54)
28.88%

Watched Threads