chrischerrr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, I’ve recently been told by my Head of School that I need 4 A Levels to apply to medicine, those being A*A*AA. He claims that although unis only require three A Levels, you need 4 to get into top schools.

I’m thinking of choosing either history or psychology as a fourth as I’m passionate about both. My other three are chem, bio and physics. Between history and psych, which is more interesting at A Level and which is “easier” to get an A* in? I got an A* in both at (I)GCSE, so how does that roughly equal out to A Level?

Please let me know! Thank you!
Fsofoxy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You honestly don’t need for 4 a levels it would be better if you did 3 a levels and then a medicine related EPQ that is much better in my opinion. You clearly seem clever so I’d imagine you’d get A*A*A* then A*\A in an EPQ
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ecolier should have something useful to say on this...
Monsur x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Psychology
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chrischerrr)
So, I’ve recently been told by my Head of School that I need 4 A Levels to apply to medicine, those being A*A*AA. He claims that although unis only require three A Levels, you need 4 to get into top schools.
(1) Not true, only 3 A-Levels are required

(2) Not true, there are no "top" or "bottom" medical schools.

I’m thinking of choosing either history or psychology as a fourth as I’m passionate about both. My other three are chem, bio and physics. Between history and psych, which is more interesting at A Level and which is “easier” to get an A* in? I got an A* in both at (I)GCSE, so how does that roughly equal out to A Level?

Yes, if you must pick a 4th A-Level, pick something you'll easily get an A in.

Apart from Cambridge (who prefers your third A-Level to be Maths or Physics), no other med schools will ask for that so you may as well just do Biology, Chemistry and then the third A-Level can be anything of your choice.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 is the thread you should have posted in.
chrischerrr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
(1) Not true, only 3 A-Levels are required

(2) Not true, there are no "top" or "bottom" medical schools.

Yes, if you must pick a 4th A-Level, pick something you'll easily get an A in.

Apart from Cambridge (who prefers your third A-Level to be Maths or Physics), no other med schools will ask for that so you may as well just do Biology, Chemistry and then the third A-Level can be anything of your choice.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 is the thread you should have posted in.
Thank you!
PaigeCatherine
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chrischerrr)

I did history, sociology and psychology at A Level. Both history and psychology were really interesting to me.

In terms of grades, in history you have coursework to do which boosts your grades and the grade boundaries are quite low. The content is quite heavy sometimes though as you do a breadth study which is a substantial period of time in history (my college did Henry VII to Elizabeth I) then a depth study where you go into huge amounts of detail about a smaller time period (my college did the Russian Revolution -1914 to 1953). On top of that you also have a 100 year 4000 word essay to write which must include source analysis and historiography so history is a pretty heavy going A Level. The history papers are also split into 3 essay questions on both papers you do which you have 2 and a half hours for.

Psychology has a lot of content too. Paper 1 and 3 you have 4 topics to learn and Paper 2 you have 2 topics and half a paper worth of research methods. I did find revising for psychology easier as even though there’s more varied learning in terms of topics, the topics are smaller. The structure of exams are easier to time too as you got short mark answers with either 8 or 16 mark questions being the largest on the paper.

Thinking on all that I’d probably recommend psychology as it’s more relevant to a medical degree too as throughout the degree and once you go into your F1 and F2 years you potentially have multiple psychiatric placements.

(All the subject/paper breakdown info is for AQA btw. It varies according to exam board)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PaigeCatherine)
...once you go into your F1 and F2 years you potentially have multiple psychiatric placements...
It is very unusual to have 2 placements in the same specialty unless you swap into it. Remember you'd only have 6 jobs (each lasting 4 months) in FY1 and FY2!

Sorry OP for being off-topic.
bleh_bleh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lots of ‘top’ universities say that they do not give priority to students doing 4 subjects so there’s no advantage to doing 4. In fact, it’ll give you less time to focus on your other three so you might find it harder to get the top grades with 4 subjects. So unless you absolutely can handle 4, I’d advise you to take only 3. I hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (812)
42.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.7%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads