The Student Room Group

Can special needs kids get A*s on there exams

I was wondering if special need kids can get top marks?
Reply 1
Original post by BizzFrog22
I was wondering if special need kids can get top marks?

It largely depends on what type of special needs they have. I myself have a major physical disability (Duchenne muscular dystrophy), and I get along quite well academically speaking. Of course, someone who has a disability which directly impacts their cognitive ability will struggle a lot more on achieving top marks. Needless to say, there are some disabilities which may impact mental ability to the extent where the person will simply not be able to succeed academically, and might not even be able to take part in standardised education. The generalised term 'special needs' is very broad, encompassing a large variety of handicaps and disabilities. At the end of the day, if the someone's special needs do not hinder their academic/cognitive ability, their success at school is a result of ability and motivation, just as with any other student (without 'special' needs).
Reply 2
Original post by pragbyte
It largely depends on what type of special needs they have. I myself have a major physical disability (Duchenne muscular dystrophy), and I get along quite well academically speaking. Of course, someone who has a disability which directly impacts their cognitive ability will struggle a lot more on achieving top marks. Needless to say, there are some disabilities which may impact mental ability to the extent where the person will simply not be able to succeed academically, and might not even be able to take part in standardised education. The generalised term 'special needs' is very broad, encompassing a large variety of handicaps and disabilities. At the end of the day, if the someone's special needs do not hinder their academic/cognitive ability, their success at school is a result of ability and motivation, just as with any other student (without 'special' needs).

Mine affects me of my understanding
Original post by BizzFrog22
Mine affects me of my understanding

I have a problem where it takes me longer to process information
That’s y I got extra time!
If it’s understanding for u then...
U gotta spend extra time with teachers until u have notes for everything and understand everything
Always ask for help
Those things.... 😌
But for ur actual question...
Yh I guess
I mean it’s understandable y people like us won’t get it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending