The Student Room Group

UCAT disaster help please

Hi, I just had my ucat test and I completely messed it up. I put in weeks of practice and preparation into it but completely crumbled on the real day.

Verbal - 470
decision - 580
quantitative - 660
abstract - 650
total: 2360 average: 590
band 3 for situational judgement

I was going to apply for newcastle university as my first option with sheffield as my second. However, my score won't even be considered now.

What should I do? Is there any
university that will accept my ukcat score?

Should I do bmat? I don't really want to do bmat as I have my mocks in september and have done no preparation for them yet. After the countless hours I put in I didn't really envisige this happening. Do you think sheffield or newcastle would accept me with a foundation year? Thanks for your help :smile:
Try Plymouth, look on their website - I think they’ve already released their UCAT cut off for 2020 entry.
Original post by BILBOBAGGINSS5
Hi, I just had my ucat test and I completely messed it up. I put in weeks of practice and preparation into it but completely crumbled on the real day.

Verbal - 470
decision - 580
quantitative - 660
abstract - 650
total: 2360 average: 590
band 3 for situational judgement

I was going to apply for newcastle university as my first option with sheffield as my second. However, my score won't even be considered now.

What should I do? Is there any
university that will accept my ukcat score?

Should I do bmat? I don't really want to do bmat as I have my mocks in september and have done no preparation for them yet. After the countless hours I put in I didn't really envisige this happening. Do you think sheffield or newcastle would accept me with a foundation year? Thanks for your help :smile:

Bmat and Cardiff if GCSEs 8/9s. Plymouth are 597. You could see if you are contextual and then foundation year it maybe or else apply next year
Reply 3
It’s worth looking at UCL a family friend got in with similar scores x
Original post by DGeorge13
Bmat and Cardiff if GCSEs 8/9s. Plymouth are 597. You could see if you are contextual and then foundation year it maybe or else apply next year

Hi, would these grades not be sufficient for cardiff?

Religious Studies - 8
Biology - 7
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
English Lang - 6
English Lit - 7
French - 5
History - 7
Maths - 8
In previous years cutoff has been between 24-26 for top 9 GCSEs 9/8 = 3pts and 7=2 and 6 = 1
Oh dear, I only got 19. Does this mean Cardiff won't accept me? It says on the website:

9 GCSE’s including GCSE Maths and English Language grade B or 6, BB or 66 in Double Science or BB/66 in 2 out of the 3 separate Sciences.
Reply 7
Original post by anniephy
It’s worth looking at UCL a family friend got in with similar scores x

thats because....ucl....is a bmat uni....what r u on about

anyway defo take the bmat, there might be a handful of ukcat unis you can apply for. if you really dont want to do the bmat then just apply for the unis with the lowest ukcat cut offs and hope for the best.unfortunately your gcses aren't high enough to completely make up for it but u might as well try.
I think your UCAT makes you ineligible at all but Cardiff band your GCSEs are too weak there . Perhaps check Keele as I don’t know how they use UCAT but other than that try WA courses or BMAt
Original post by DGeorge13
I think your UCAT makes you ineligible at all but Cardiff band your GCSEs are too weak there . Perhaps check Keele as I don’t know how they use UCAT but other than that try WA courses or BMAt

ok, thanks
Sounds like you will have to sit the BMAT. Its hugely risky though - the tests have a decent amount of overlap - no guarantee you will do any better...
Reply 11
Original post by BILBOBAGGINSS5
Oh dear, I only got 19. Does this mean Cardiff won't accept me? It says on the website:

9 GCSE’s including GCSE Maths and English Language grade B or 6, BB or 66 in Double Science or BB/66 in 2 out of the 3 separate Sciences.

These are Cardiff's minimum requirements, not what is needed to be competitive, I'm afraid.
Keele and Sunderland assess on the Roles and Responsibilities form (their version of the PS) if you are not in the bottom 20% of UCAT scores, so you could check when the deciles come out and possibly apply to these.
Other than that, your UCAT score is unlikely to be competitive unless you can compensate with very strong GCSEs (essentiall all, or nearly all, 8/9s). You can sit the BMAT or just apply to these two and throw Edge Hill and K&M as a hopeful punt.
Otherwise, gap year and resit. Many people do much better at a second sitting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending