smahashetti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Can I apply to 2 similar courses (say chemistry with molecular physics and chemistry (MSci)) at different universities?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes, total of five different universities (or total five courses at a few unis) under UK UCAS for undergrad (I presume you're Bachelor entry, just some colleges bundle a Masters - , that's usually a choice better made once you are actually at college, where to do further study)
and Pro-Tip, you can add ten different courses & unis if you pay 25 euros to Irelands CAO.ie, they have a whole bunch of great places, with Trinity College being one of the best.

in my case I applied to four Scottish Universities, for three different types of courses (some vaguely STEM & others vaguely sociologic), (I applied to one university for two completely different courses) and I further applied to completely ten different courses & colleges in Ireland (they have a post-result computer matching system, unlike UK UCAS)

My overall results and analysis: I received one offer from Scotland, the place where I applied for two orthogonal courses, and the offer had the words "NO TRANSFER ALLOWED" - so maybe that didn't go too well? One uni timed out, never sent me an offer when I needed it, and I did receive three rejections. This was all in the plan, as I had my own personal Irish insurance backstop, to ensure continuity of education. And there's always Clearing/Adjustment day.

Ireland offered me a very interesting place at Dun Laoighaire ("Dun Leery") Institute for Art, Design & Technology (to study applied psychology), just outside Dublin, by the sea, but in the end I'm going (tomorrow) to the Scottish university that gave me the firmed offer. Bigger mountains.

remember that UCAS application needs the PS (Personal Statement), and that can be mildly complicated to write if you are applying for quite different courses, but your two Chem choices are more or less the same course anyway , so would be very easy to conflab the both. Some unis don't read the PS, but many analyse it semantically and every other which way.
HumbleBee_x
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Yes, total of five different universities (or total five courses at a few unis) under UK UCAS for undergrad (I presume you're Bachelor entry, just some colleges bundle a Masters - , that's usually a choice better made once you are actually at college, where to do further study)
and Pro-Tip, you can add ten different courses & unis if you pay 25 euros to Irelands CAO.ie, they have a whole bunch of great places, with Trinity College being one of the best.

in my case I applied to four Scottish Universities, for three different types of courses (some vaguely STEM & others vaguely sociologic), (I applied to one university for two completely different courses) and I further applied to completely ten different courses & colleges in Ireland (they have a post-result computer matching system, unlike UK UCAS)

My overall results and analysis: I received one offer from Scotland, the place where I applied for two orthogonal courses, and the offer had the words "NO TRANSFER ALLOWED" - so maybe that didn't go too well? One uni timed out, never sent me an offer when I needed it, and I did receive three rejections. This was all in the plan, as I had my own personal Irish insurance backstop, to ensure continuity of education. And there's always Clearing/Adjustment day.

Ireland offered me a very interesting place at Dun Laoighaire ("Dun Leery") Institute for Art, Design & Technology (to study applied psychology), just outside Dublin, by the sea, but in the end I'm going (tomorrow) to the Scottish university that gave me the firmed offer. Bigger mountains.

remember that UCAS application needs the PS (Personal Statement), and that can be mildly complicated to write if you are applying for quite different courses, but your two Chem choices are more or less the same course anyway , so would be very easy to conflab the both. Some unis don't read the PS, but many analyse it semantically and every other which way.
I want to apply for podiatry, physiotherapy and optometry. can this be achieved?
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by HumbleBee_x)
I want to apply for podiatry, physiotherapy and optometry. can this be achieved?
yes, but you'd likely only get one offer - best answer is to go to at least three or four university open days and talk to the staff who run the courses
you find out SO MUCH, and quite often come back and apply for completely different courses.

the UCAS compilation is a bit of a journey , and often the end point is a surprise, mostly pleasant (and there's always Clearing & Ireland)
smahashetti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thanks! This really helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (182)
61.9%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.08%
No- I want it (78)
26.53%
No- I don't want it (22)