Su O
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, had my heart set on GEM to a UCAT uni as I tried but I couldn't put myself through GAMSAT. Anyway I sat my UCAT today and I'm so bummed I got 2720 which in itself if okay but for GEM generally the cut off for most interviews last year was 2800/700avg or more!
Does anybody have any good news for me? Would this score still make the cut?Breakdown VR 640 (this dragged me downnn) QR 700, DM 700, AR 680, SJT BAND1.
I have a 2:1 degree in life sciences and A* in BIO, A in CHEM and B in R.S. for my A-levels so maybe this would help?I currently work as a healthcare professional so my work experience is taken care of, Ive done volunteering too with a health charity and shadowing a consultant.PLEASE SOMEONE I NEED A SILVER LINING HERE!!
My top choices were St Barts/KCL/Warwick/UoB because I can live at home with family so I would be able to afford it somewhat. UoB is using UCAT first time this year for GEM so they have no info but although KCL/barts/Warwick say they accept scores better than the 3rd/4th decile their interview stats tell a different story
Last edited by Su O; 1 year ago
Banshee123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sumaya O)
Hi guys, had my heart set on GEM to a UCAT uni as I tried but I couldn't put myself through GAMSAT. Anyway I sat my UCAT today and I'm so bummed I got 2720 which in itself if okay but for GEM generally the cut off for most interviews last year was 2800/700avg or more!Does anybody have any good news for me? Would this score still make the cut?Breakdown VR 640 (this dragged me downnn) QR 700, DM 700, AR 680, SJT BAND1.
I have a 2:1 degree in life sciences and A* in BIO, A in CHEM and B in R.S. for my A-levels so maybe this would help?I currently work as a healthcare professional so my work experience is taken care of, Ive done volunteering too with a health charity and shadowing a consultant.PLEASE SOMEONE I NEED A SILVER LINING HERE!!
What did you use to prepare for the UKCAT ?
I dont know much about postgrad requirments.
sos
Su O
Rep:
?
(Original post by Banshee123)
What did you use to prepare for the UKCAT ?
I dont know much about postgrad requirments.
sos
with postgrad the avg weighting for interviews tends to be between 650-700 on a good year but generally its above 750. The uni websites say they consider anyone above the 3rd decile which is like 2400-2550 but most of the time because its so competitive only the top 25% make it to interview hence the high cut off

I used medify only for 3 weeks and then a combo of medify/official mocks for a few days. Its a good resource I cant doubt it but definitely wouldn't suggest to use it on its own. Very good for time keeping though!
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your score should be ok for Warwick. Check the criteria for Sheffield, if you meet their WP criteria thus would be a good option for you.

For Birmingham, you will need a high 2.1. Also you will need to have a year or more full time work experience (not necessarily in healthcare). Check their scoring system carefully, it's a new system so nobody knows what score might get you an interview.

You would almost definitely not get interviews from Newcastle or Barts. You would be unlikely to get an interview from Southampton (but if you have a blank space on your form it's less risky than ncl / barts).

I don't really know about KCL, they say they assess applications "holistically" (in other words they won't say what they want) - my gut feeling is you'd be unlikely to get an interview because of your ucat, but again if you have a space on your form it'd be worth a shot. Perhaps a better option than Southampton.

Otherwise you could try for Cambridge (most, but not all, interviewees have straight A/A* at A level and / Or a 1st class degree). You could sit the BMAT and apply for Oxford (a high BMAT can make up for other weak esses there).
Su O
Rep:
?
(Original post by jzdzm)
Your score should be ok for Warwick. Check the criteria for Sheffield, if you meet their WP criteria thus would be a good option for you.

For Birmingham, you will need a high 2.1. Also you will need to have a year or more full time work experience (not necessarily in healthcare). Check their scoring system carefully, it's a new system so nobody knows what score might get you an interview.

You would almost definitely not get interviews from Newcastle or Barts. You would be unlikely to get an interview from Southampton (but if you have a blank space on your form it's less risky than ncl / barts).

I don't really know about KCL, they say they assess applications "holistically" (in other words they won't say what they want) - my gut feeling is you'd be unlikely to get an interview because of your ucat, but again if you have a space on your form it'd be worth a shot. Perhaps a better option than Southampton.

Otherwise you could try for Cambridge (most, but not all, interviewees have straight A/A* at A level and / Or a 1st class degree). You could sit the BMAT and apply for Oxford (a high BMAT can make up for other weak esses there).
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Im definitely lookimg into sheffield I think I meet the criteria but im just waiting to hear if my degree is an appropriate life science degree. For UoB my 2:1 was a 67 so hopefully it helps and ive been working for 3 years so should be advantageous.
Due to work commitments Im not sure if I could take on BMAT at this stage but im definitely giving cambridge a thought or might fill that last space with kcl in the end who knows but some hope is better than no hope
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sumaya O)
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Im definitely lookimg into sheffield I think I meet the criteria but im just waiting to hear if my degree is an appropriate life science degree. For UoB my 2:1 was a 67 so hopefully it helps and ive been working for 3 years so should be advantageous.
Due to work commitments Im not sure if I could take on BMAT at this stage but im definitely giving cambridge a thought or might fill that last space with kcl in the end who knows but some hope is better than no hope
It sounds like you'll have 2 solid options (Sheffield and Warwick), one good option (UoB) and space for one 'why not' option (Cambridge or KCL). I think that's a good balance, so no point in feeling bad about your UCAT any more - concentrate on the rest of your application now. Be aware that Cambridge ask for an extra application form. Good luck!
Marathi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a Warwick student I'd definitely still give Warwick a try with that score!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
13.92%
I'm not sure (24)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
32.01%
I have already dropped out (11)
1.99%
I'm not a current university student (264)
47.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed