Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Are there opportunities for you to catch up during FY to build your portfolio.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Are there opportunities for you to catch up during FY to build your portfolio.
Yes.

You get some extra points for getting distinctions / merits / an honours degree.

I would assume when UKMLA comes out, you may get extra points for scoring higher in that exam but I wouldn't know.

Remember many potential surgeons would have done something in med school - presentations / posters / being in the surgical society etc., so you'd have to play catch up if you haven't.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes.

You get some extra points for getting distinctions / merits / an honours degree.

I would assume when UKMLA comes out, you may get extra points for scoring higher but I wouldn't know.

Remember many potential surgeons would have done something in med school - presentations / posters / being in the surgical society etc., so you'd have to play catch up if you haven't.
im barely scraping through med school eek
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
im barely scraping through med school eek
The thing is, you're going to be OK.

The common saying "what do you call the student who scraped through his med school exams? the Doctor" is never more true.

If you couldn't get in Core Surgical Training in the first instance, just take a gap year and improve your CV. One year is virtually nothing in your long career.
Anonymous #1
I wont be sitting the UKMLAas im starting fourth year soon
ferrus_manus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes.

I would assume when UKMLA comes out, you may get extra points for scoring higher in that exam but I wouldn't know.

Out of curiosity, how do aspiring surgeons get anything to present as medical students?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ferrus_manus)
Out of curiosity, how do aspiring surgeons get anything to present as medical students?
Right place at the right time; usually.

The aspiring surgeons usually make themselves known and if they are keen and stick around there may be audits and research projects. Going to (med student) surgical conferences help too because of networking opportunities.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ferrus_manus)
Being keen. Eighty percent of success is showing up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?