Really don't want to study A level Physics, will this prevent me going uni? Watch

shaky_cookie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
HI,

So I want to study mechanical engineering or any other mechanical-related engineering degree when I go uni. It says online that A level maths and physics is generally essential as physics helps apply the principles of maths to the real world, which I can kinda understand, I'm totally okay with choosing A level maths as I really like maths anyway, but I really do not want to study physics for a number of reasons.

One of them being that physics is an extremely hard A level as told by many TSR users. Secondly, to study a subject as challenging as physics you really need to have a big interest in the subject. Now I do have an interest in physics, but only in the maths-related parts of it i.e calculating the force of a spring. Furthermore, I've heard on many of occasions that lots of people end up dropping out in AS as the content is way too hard; as much as 75% of the class in most cases. I'm assuming these dropouts are intelligent students as well.

I was thinking of changing physics for biology which I really like (I know biology has no real relevancy to engineering) and combining the two with level 3 engineering to substitute physics.

Will these choices be okay for a mechanical engineering degree or any other engineering degree?
Mona123456
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I’m not an engineer not applying for engineering at Uni, but I take Physics A-level.

Regarding your query, I do admit that for every engineering course I know of, Maths and Physics are essential. I do think you would be at a disadvantage if you haven’t studied Physics, as Physics does have a lot of score principles and foundations for engineering, and there are optional engineering modules too (I study AQA).

I agree that Physics is a hard A-level, but it isn’t impossible. If you put the work in and are a good mathematician, there’s no reason why you can’t secure a good grade. However, I also agree with you that you must be motivated and enjoy the subject, or it will quickly become difficult to manage the workload.

I will say that taking Maths and Chemistry would make Physics easier though, as they all complement each other and conceptually there is overlap.

Ultimately, at the end of the day, you need to decide. Some Physics topics are more interesting than others; but I think by the sounds of things you would enjoy the mechanics, electricity and forces modules. I would recommend speaking to a member of staff at your school, and perhaps start off taking 4 A-levels to see if you enjoy Physics at all, instead of instantly discounting it. You may enjoy it - who knows?

If I am completely honest, I feel that not taking Physics would significantly hinder a Uni application for any type of engineering, and if you really don’t want to take Physics A-level I would question your choice of an engineering degree. My best advice would be to trial Physics and see how it goes - it is difficult, but incredibly rewarding, very interesting and would no doubt be of great help (or perhaps even necessary) for engineering. I would also advise looking into Uni entry requirements more closely and perhaps asking an admissions advisor for their opinion, to help guide your decision.
meme259
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
for engineering you need physics. yes its hard. no you dont need a big interest in it. I couldn't be bothered with physics, frustrated my teacher endlessly bc I just didn't really care about the subject that much. all you need to get an A* is CGP+ past papers. for Edexcel anyway, 50-75% of the questions in the papers I sat were just lifted from past questions. and the boundaries are insanely low. I mean, 60% for an A* is ridiculous and not too big of a challenge if you've done every paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (158)
59.18%
No I haven't decided yet (63)
23.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed