Army not paying for my optician medical form Watch

Shebam
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Why is everybody after money ffs. So, I paid £25 for my opticians to fill a sheet of paper, and now I call the army up and they tell me they don't cover that. Does money grow on trees?? It was a while ago, but who ever said joining the army is easy has clearly never been through this and on top of that my gp isn't filling in my medical forms unless I pay them £65 up front despite them having to put in some effort to make an invoice to the army. Ridiculous figures.
WedgeAnt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Shebam)
Why is everybody after money ffs. Does money grow on trees??
There's the short answer to your question (you being the one after money).

The long answer... I'm sure you're aware that this is not the place for accurate information on medical issues. Regarding the Opticians report, you're told to go to the Capita medical bringing your up to date perscription (glasses) and they will assess wether you meet your trade requirements (which might include standards of both wearing and not wearing your glasses). If you failed the eye sight part of the Capita test then either your natural eye sight is too poor so you need to get an Optician to give you a full test to assess this, or you don't have an up to date perscription (which you were told to bring beforehand). So in both cases you've 'failed' the Army's basic test so if you think you should have passed then it's on you to provide that extra information i.e the Opticians Report.

Regarding the GP, GP's don't exist to help people get jobs. The upfront cost stings, sure, but the GP doesn't want to waste what limited funding and time it does have to fufill your 'non-medical needs' without the guarantee that it'll have it's own costs met.

There's an argument to say that this kind of policy is classist, to a degree, but you do have to understand that the Armed Force and the Government aren't made of money.
Shebam
Rep:
?
(Original post by WedgeAnt)
There's the short answer to your question (you being the one after money).

The long answer... I'm sure you're aware that this is not the place for accurate information on medical issues. Regarding the Opticians report, you're told to go to the Capita medical bringing your up to date perscription (glasses) and they will assess wether you meet your trade requirements (which might include standards of both wearing and not wearing your glasses). If you failed the eye sight part of the Capita test then either your natural eye sight is too poor so you need to get an Optician to give you a full test to assess this, or you don't have an up to date perscription (which you were told to bring beforehand). So in both cases you've 'failed' the Army's basic test so if you think you should have passed then it's on you to provide that extra information i.e the Opticians Report.

Regarding the GP, GP's don't exist to help people get jobs. The upfront cost stings, sure, but the GP doesn't want to waste what limited funding and time it does have to fufill your 'non-medical needs' without the guarantee that it'll have it's own costs met.

There's an argument to say that this kind of policy is classist, to a degree, but you do have to understand that the Armed Force and the Government aren't made of money.
I dont think my eyesight is bad, I need glasses for reading and driving. I really dont have the excess money to be spending on something that isn't guaranteed say if the army doesnt accept me, I dont have the money to be splurging around with which I know is everyone's concern, I'm on benefits and looking for a job. My gp is useless, the army says the gp have to send them an invoice and they will pay for the medical forms which I am grateful for.

I know I sound pessimistic and I understand your points, but I'm dipping my foot in the deep end and not sure if I'll benefit.

Anyways, thank you for your time and giving me another way to look at it.
Last edited by Shebam; 6 months ago
WedgeAnt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not sure if I'm reading it right but the GP cost sounds like a deposit rather than money you'd spend and not get back. For the Opticians report, as much as we might think we know our own eyesight the Army wants a Professional's opinion. Worst comes to worst then you'll find out if you need new glasses or not.
Shebam
Rep:
?
(Original post by WedgeAnt)
Not sure if I'm reading it right but the GP cost sounds like a deposit rather than money you'd spend and not get back. For the Opticians report, as much as we might think we know our own eyesight the Army wants a Professional's opinion. Worst comes to worst then you'll find out if you need new glasses or not.
I'm usually quite fast in understanding things, the opticians gave me an eye test and said my eyesight is good and nothing to be concerned about, but like you said that's for the army to decide, but the recruitment officer assured me that it would all be covered by them, and I've called a few times and I was reassured so today's response is news to me.

As for the gp, interesting I'll take a visit tomorrow and inform them about the invoice etc.

Thank you for your help.
Y333EEE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Honestly mate this just sounds standard for Capita (the **** company that the army uses for recruitment nowadays). Even though it was 4 odd years ago I did my application it was Always me initiating contact with them and not the other way around. From mine and everyone else's experiance it's the norm getting messed about and sent round in circles by them. Only advice I can give is be persistent!
Shebam
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Y333EEE)
Honestly mate this just sounds standard for Capita (the **** company that the army uses for recruitment nowadays). Even though it was 4 odd years ago I did my application it was Always me initiating contact with them and not the other way around. From mine and everyone else's experiance it's the norm getting messed about and sent round in circles by them. Only advice I can give is be persistent!
Awesome that you made it. Yep, seems that everyone is saying something different. So annoying. Well, theres no backing down now, paid £25 for an opticians form! Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.
Y333EEE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Shebam)
Awesome that you made it. Yep, seems that everyone is saying something different. So annoying. Well, theres no backing down now, paid £25 for an opticians form! Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.
No dramas mate, like I said Capita are a total nightmare to work with so you've just got to be persistent and roll with it. What role you hoping to get?
Shebam
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Y333EEE)
No dramas mate, like I said Capita are a total nightmare to work with so you've just got to be persistent and roll with it. What role you hoping to get?
No drama my recruiter said this 😂

Undecided/contemplating I did apply for human resources reserve
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.31%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.39%
No- I want it (172)
28.1%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.19%

Watched Threads

Latest