Communicating and influencing

Watch
harminkaur
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am applying for an entry level trainee accounting position and need help writing an example for communicating and influencing (one of the CS competencies). I have examples but I can't seem to write one for this competency, have answered all of the others fine.
I currently manage a small fast food business at the moment, manage the finances and organise accounts. I was thinking my example could be based around how I work with employees to ensure legislation and guidelines are followed and are practised at work or something like that.
I haven't done an application in a while so that's why I think I am struggling to word my answer. If anyone has any different examples that I may be able to use to help me write mine that would be appreciated as well! I am aware of STAR however find that difficult to use when I am not writing about a specific occurance if that makes sense?

PS I am not trying to copy anyones examples, I already know that if I get asked about it then I wouldn't be able to expand on it. I just want help writing mine.

Thank you!!!
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your example sounds like straightforward management rather than 'influencing'.

Has the been a time when you've successfully lobbied for new procedures to be introduced, against opposing views? The communicating half of the competency would be explaining how you did this, wrote a letter or business paper, gave a presentation etc.
harminkaur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
Your example sounds like straightforward management rather than 'influencing'.

Has the been a time when you've successfully lobbied for new procedures to be introduced, against opposing views? The communicating half of the competency would be explaining how you did this, wrote a letter or business paper, gave a presentation etc
All of the examples I can think of sound like management because they all are similar to the one I provided above 😭😭 as I deal with hiring staff as well, could I talk about introducing new methods to hire staff?
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by harminkaur)
All of the examples I can think of sound like management because they all are similar to the one I provided above 😭😭 as I deal with hiring staff as well, could I talk about introducing new methods to hire staff?
Possibly. Remember, influencing is changing or having an effect on someone or something, but it's a 2-part competency so you also need the 'communicating' part in there. Did you have to convince other people to bring in these new methods or was it solely your decision? How do you think was influential?

Trying to think of other random things. Actually, have you had anything to do with advertising the business that has brought in more custom? Have you modified the guidelines you mention to suit your premises and had to tell the staff why its a good idea?

Also, don't be too focussed on it being a work example. Do you anything from school or college? Something as a student rep, got a change of timetable, got a sports coach to make an unexpected substitution to change a game?

Happy to keep chatting to try and help!
harminkaur
Rep:
?
Possibly. Remember, influencing is changing or having an effect on someone or something, but it's a 2-part competency so you also need the 'communicating' part in there. Did you have to convince other people to bring in these new methods or was it solely your decision? How do you think was influential?

Trying to think of other random things. Actually, have you had anything to do with advertising the business that has brought in more custom? Have you modified the guidelines you mention to suit your premises and had to tell the staff why its a good idea?

Also, don't be too focussed on it being a work example. Do you anything from school or college? Something as a student rep, got a change of timetable, got a sports coach to make an unexpected substitution to change a game?

Happy to keep chatting to try and help!
Thank you for your help!

I thought maybe I could use an older example when I started working and the business owner was using the same suppliers, didn’t want to change suppliers simply because she’d always used them. And how I explained that I would research more suppliers in my own time and present her with the research I gather, after seeing information about other suppliers the business owner agreed to change suppliers. I’d write that up using the STAR method but generally does that sound ok? Is there anything that you suggest I could write to make it stand out more?

I’ve used academic or extra curricular activities to write examples for other competencies so that’s why I thought I really want to get a work example in there somewhere!

Again thank you for the help, I really really appreciate it! This has been stressing me out so much
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by harminkaur)
Thank you for your help!

I thought maybe I could use an older example when I started working and the business owner was using the same suppliers, didn’t want to change suppliers simply because she’d always used them. And how I explained that I would research more suppliers in my own time and present her with the research I gather, after seeing information about other suppliers the business owner agreed to change suppliers. I’d write that up using the STAR method but generally does that sound ok? Is there anything that you suggest I could write to make it stand out more?

I’ve used academic or extra curricular activities to write examples for other competencies so that’s why I thought I really want to get a work example in there somewhere!

Again thank you for the help, I really really appreciate it! This has been stressing me out so much
Stress no more, that example sounds perfect! These would come under STAR anyway, but to make it as complete as possible I suggest you explain:

* exactly what made you look at the supply side of the business
* why you thought the suppliers needed changing
* what impact changing suppliers had on the business, and has it been sustained?

Good luck :five:
harminkaur
Rep:
?
Stress no more, that example sounds perfect! These would come under STAR anyway, but to make it as complete as possible I suggest you explain:

* exactly what made you look at the supply side of the business
* why you thought the suppliers needed changing
* what impact changing suppliers had on the business, and has it been sustained?

Good luck :five:
Omg ok I’ve got this, thank you so much for the help!! Sometimes it’s difficult thinking of the example just because you don’t know what an example of it could be and just need someone to suggest ideas!!

Kindest regards
Harmin!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (178)
28.48%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.28%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.16%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise