i know this sounds stupid but i want to get into dentistry and i got BCCCC at highers Watch

Queen_S
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
biology B
maths C
geography C
english C
chemistry C
Last edited by Queen_S; 1 week ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Labrador99

Maybe this should be moved to either ScotQuals or some relevant Dentistry sub-forum? :rambo:
Queen_S
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Labrador99

Maybe this should be moved to either ScotQuals or some relevant Dentistry sub-forum? :rambo:
i'm new to this i will when i figure it out cheers x
Last edited by Queen_S; 3 weeks ago
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Queen_S)
i'm new to this i will when i figure it out cheers x
I've moved it over to Scottish Qualifications for you :heart: Hope you get some good answers there!
Queen_S
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
I've moved it over to Scottish Qualifications for you :heart: Hope you get some good answers there!
thank you so much really appriciate it:suith:
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
thank you so much really appriciate it:suith:
No problem!
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
look at dental schools that accept resits and retake all your subjects
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
biology B
maths C
geography C
english C
chemistry C

i really want to get into dentistry is there any pathway or college way that i could? Is there any science related subjects that i would be accepted to with my grades?

I got accepted for psychology at college but it takes 3 periods a week (50%) of my Advance Biology. should i do psychology or not?
I would email as many dental schools as possible, tell them what the situation is (your Nat 5 and Higher grades) and then ask what you should do in S6.

As an aside, how well or poorly does your school perform academically? If it's pretty bad (number of A grades being low or number of people going to university etc), mention that in your email as well.
Queen_S
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
I would email as many dental schools as possible, tell them what the situation is (your Nat 5 and Higher grades) and then ask what you should do in S6.

As an aside, how well or poorly does your school perform academically? If it's pretty bad (number of A grades being low or number of people going to university etc), mention that in your email as well.
I chose my subjects for S6 already I'm in S6 right now so they wouldn't let me change it. I'm doing AH bio, higher maths, higher chem and higher Urdu. I will still email dental schools for advice. cheers buddy x
Queen_S
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
look at dental schools that accept resits and retake all your subjects
oh hell naw ! I'm never resisting geography English. I'm currently doing AH biology, Higher maths, Higher chem and higher Urdu.
palmegg
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unless you would be likely to get a contextual offer, I would look at science courses at unis where they offer dentistry and see if you can switch in after first year. Try to do as close to what you would do in dentistry and if you do well you might get in when someone, inevitably, drops out. That failing, did you know Aberdeen offer a postgrad dental course? Look at that and apply for one of the courses it says it accepts.
Queen_S
Rep:
?
(Original post by palmegg)
Unless you would be likely to get a contextual offer, I would look at science courses at unis where they offer dentistry and see if you can switch in after first year. Try to do as close to what you would do in dentistry and if you do well you might get in when someone, inevitably, drops out. That failing, did you know Aberdeen offer a postgrad dental course? Look at that and apply for one of the courses it says it accepts.
I didn't know that let me get all the detail. thank you so much.
katherine340
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is very hard as you need to sit all highers in one year and get AAABB. I am applying to dentistry through the widening access route where they require AAABB by the end of S6. In S5 I got AABB, so I just need one A in H and a B in advanced higher biology/chemistry to get in.
Otherwise I would recommend doing Oral Health Sciences which will get you into dentistry after that degree.
Queen_S
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by katherine340)
It is very hard as you need to sit all highers in one year and get AAABB. I am applying to dentistry through the widening access route where they require AAABB by the end of S6. In S5 I got AABB, so I just need one A in H and a B in advanced higher biology/chemistry to get in.
Otherwise I would recommend doing Oral Health Sciences which will get you into dentistry after that degree.
see with the widening access do you have to do UCAS by 15th october or do u get more time?
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
see with the widening access do you have to do UCAS by 15th october or do u get more time?
The deadline of 15th October applies regardless...With the widening access stuff you'll need to check your eligibility on the uni websites, as usually they have quite specific requirements for these things.

Realistically though, your current grades mean that you're way off the requirements to apply to most courses this year. I took a look at Dundee, since they've usually got slightly lower requirements than other dentistry courses in Scotland, and they're asking for minimum/widening participation grades of AAABB at higher by the end of S6 (which with your subject choice for this year, won't be met as they won't double count higher + AH biology)...If you had extenuating circumstances or anything like that this year, you should contact unis to ask what they'd expect from you/what they think you should do (and even if not speaking to them anyway about what options you have is not a bad idea!).
Is it possible for you to do an additional subject this year?

That doesn't mean that you can never study dentistry- there are other routes that might take longer (and are definitely more expensive if you have to get in via doing it as a second degree), but it can be done if you work hard and are happy to commit yourself to what's needed.
Queen_S
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
The deadline of 15th October applies regardless...With the widening access stuff you'll need to check your eligibility on the uni websites, as usually they have quite specific requirements for these things.

Realistically though, your current grades mean that you're way off the requirements to apply to most courses this year. I took a look at Dundee, since they've usually got slightly lower requirements than other dentistry courses in Scotland, and they're asking for minimum/widening participation grades of AAABB at higher by the end of S6 (which with your subject choice for this year, won't be met as they won't double count higher + AH biology)...If you had extenuating circumstances or anything like that this year, you should contact unis to ask what they'd expect from you/what they think you should do (and even if not speaking to them anyway about what options you have is not a bad idea!).
Is it possible for you to do an additional subject this year?

That doesn't mean that you can never study dentistry- there are other routes that might take longer (and are definitely more expensive if you have to get in via doing it as a second degree), but it can be done if you work hard and are happy to commit yourself to what's needed.
Im also doing higher psychology at college so i get another higher and im going to self study geography and retake it again and get a better grade but am not too sure about resitting it yet because when i go college i miss AH biology so i have to catch up on the work. What do you mean they wont count double higher plus AH biology?
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Im also doing higher psychology at college so i get another higher and im going to self study geography and retake it again and get a better grade but am not too sure about resitting it yet because when i go college i miss AH biology so i have to catch up on the work. What do you mean they wont count double higher plus AH biology?
I wouldn't recommend doing 5 highers + and AH in a year, but it is up to you...

Like if the requirements are AAABB, you can't count both your higher biology and your AH biology grades towards that- it needs to be across 5 different subjects.
Katelouisa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For the Scottish medicine and dental schools they only accept qualifications in one sitting and no resits they often require at least a B in Higher Chemistry and a B in another relevant subject. My friend got AABBB last year but wasn’t accepted into any of them. She explored some other options and is applying to go to Bulgaria with the premise of hopefully transferring to Glasgow for second year but she needed BB in AH chem and bio so I’m not sure if that would work for other. Some more options are to do an alternative science based degree then a post graduate in dentistry but that will take longer and depends how much you want to do it! There is always another option and feel free to ask any further questions!
katherine340
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Katelouisa)
For the Scottish medicine and dental schools they only accept qualifications in one sitting and no resits they often require at least a B in Higher Chemistry and a B in another relevant subject. My friend got AABBB last year but wasn’t accepted into any of them. She explored some other options and is applying to go to Bulgaria with the premise of hopefully transferring to Glasgow for second year but she needed BB in AH chem and bio so I’m not sure if that would work for other. Some more options are to do an alternative science based degree then a post graduate in dentistry but that will take longer and depends how much you want to do it! There is always another option and feel free to ask any further questions!
I want to do Dentistry as well and got AAAAAB in Nat 5, and AABB in Higher. I am now doing 2 Advanced highers and 2 highers and applying through the widening access, which I probably won’t get in. I am actually Bulgarian living in Scotland, and I don’t see myself studying in Bulgaria. Hahah
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate