Will I have a chance to get into Oxbridge? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So, I’m from Birmingham and I honestly think I’ll get good results at gcse and a level and I may be well above average, but will I really have a competitive chance at all since I come from like a area that is like deprived?
Tamanah Iqbal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
to be honest i'm from birmingham too and i'm sure with good results you should have a chance
Deggs_14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What a level subjects are you doing? What super curricular activities would you do? What subject would you want to study at university? Are you only attracted due to the brand and reputation? Birmingham isn’t socio-economically deprived anyway?
Last edited by Deggs_14; 4 weeks ago
inattentional
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Even if you don’t get the grades you need, Oxford does a free foundation year at a lower grade rate if you’re from a deprived background (youll need to check the fine print if that applies to you).
I think Cambridge does foundation summer courses too, so they can be more accessible than you think!

I would look at the courses youre interested in and see if they have any requirements such as any certain A-level subjects too
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Deggs_14)
What a level subjects are you doing? What super curricular activities would you do? What subject would you want to study at university? Are you only attracted due to the brand and reputation? Birmingham isn’t socio-economically deprived anyway?
It is tho, I searched it
Tamanah Iqbal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
it actually is according to the government and the council
Anonymous #1
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It is tho, I searched it
If you can search that you lived in a deprived area, how come you can't research, even here on TSR, how it makes no difference to Oxford or Cambridge? How come you can't see the efforts, schemes, funding etc going on to make sure that grades are the only thing that counts for entry?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by threeportdrift)
If you can search that you lived in a deprived area, how come you can't research, even here on TSR, how it makes no difference to Oxford or Cambridge? How come you can't see the efforts, schemes, funding etc going on to make sure that grades are the only thing that counts for entry?
First of all, you can stop being so rude. Second of all, I did do research and tried to see if the statistics match my data, because only 1%, ONE PERCENT got into oxbridge from my area. Also, grades are not the only thing, it’s also personal statement and etc. I wanted an insight on my situation, if you have a problem then I’d rather you not reply than making me feel like it’s my fault for asking a question, thanks.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
What subject do you want to studying at university level? Make sure to inform us of your GCSE grades tomorrow, better hope for all 9s and 8s. Otherwise you’ll never get into Oxbridge!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So GCSEs are only really relevant for Oxford (and not even for all courses, at least to the same degree); Cambridge doesn't put much weight on them.

It will also depend on what subject you want to apply to, and what A-level subjects you're going to be taking. If you don't meet the entry criteria (either explicit or implicit), then you've already likely guaranteed you can't get in (e.g. 3 STEM subjects for Natural Sciences or Medicine at Cambridge; A-level Maths for PPE or E&M at Oxford).

Your starting point should be making sure you're taking the right subjects, and from there figure out how to build on that. Also as noted, specific advice will depend on what subject you wish to read at university, as to what the best next steps would be.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
So, I’m from Birmingham and I honestly think I’ll get good results at gcse and a level and I may be well above average, but will I really have a competitive chance at all since I come from like a area that is like deprived?
If you're from a deprived area and get good results, then you have even more chance of getting in than someone from a posh area with the same results. If you're intelligent enough to get the top grades, then being in a deprived area gives you a pretty significant advantage since it shows you overcame your financial limitations to achieve well. Look up contextual offers and flags- you're probably in a better position by being from an area like that
Anonymous #1
What subject do you want to studying at university level? Make sure to inform us of your GCSE grades tomorrow, better hope for all 9s and 8s. Otherwise you’ll never get into Oxbridge!
I want to study computer science, is it REALLY necessary to get 8/9? The average grades in my area are B’s.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by anonymous)
so, i’m from birmingham and i honestly think i’ll get good results at gcse and a level and i may be well above average, but will i really have a competitive chance at all since i come from like a area that is like deprived?
just to clarify, i want to do computer science.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I want to study computer science, is it REALLY necessary to get 8/9? The average grades in my area are B’s.
Yes. You need to be well above your area's average for oxbridge, A's and B's won't cut it. You would absolutely be expected to get a 9 and then A* in the subject you're wanting to study- and even then that's nowhere near enough to get an offer. You need to show your ability through the extra tests they'll set you, and then at interview because even an A* at A level simply doesn't set you apart from everyone else getting those grades
2500_2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
how do you rate against the eligibility criteria here? If you are eligible, register your interest for 2020.
logical_nonsense
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Those are of course the magic assets
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
...because only 1%, ONE PERCENT got into oxbridge from my area.
I suspect you're making these numbers up, but those numbers above would actually mean you live in a really good area! Nationally less than 1% of people go to Oxbridge, and in old money only about 65% of people managed to get 5Cs - achieving an average of B across all subjects would be really strong.
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I suspect you're making these numbers up, but those numbers above would actually mean you live in a really good area! Nationally less than 1% of people go to Oxbridge, and in old money only about 65% of people managed to get 5Cs - achieving an average of B across all subjects would be really strong.
Bs at GCSE or a level aren’t really Oxbridge standard. Perhaps in your generation or 20 years ago that was the case. Looking at Cambridge summer school requirements, candidates are expected to have at least 7 A* or 8/9 to meet the grade requirements, I don’t know about Oxford though. A B at gcse is okay, but all Bs / 6s at GCSE isn’t Oxbridge Standard.

I’m applying to Cambridge for geography this year, and I got 99999988A*A* at this time last year, and still there will be people I’m competitive with with 12 9s or even greater.
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As you’re interested in computer science, you’ll need to take maths and computer science a level. I’m not sure about a third or even a fourth option, perhaps physics, or further maths?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
9%
Disagree (5)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (31)
31%
Agree (40)
40%
Strongly Agree (15)
15%

Watched Threads