The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety/ Irritable Bowel Syndrome

I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety earlier in the year. I think i may have developed IBS but I haven’t been to the gp yet as I don’t want to worry my mum too much. School started on Monday and I forgot to take money for lunch. I had a class last and I already feel quite uncomfortable in this class as my teacher assigned seats according to where your name is on the register and I have to sit and the front. I have double periods now and in the middle of the first double period, my stomach started growling. It started off kind of quiet but it got so loud to the point the whole class could hear it. Everyone was laughing and I felt so embarrassed. I also had heart palpatations and my hands were shaking alot due to my Social Anxiety and I was on the verge of crying. I had this class last period and i was trying my best not to cry when walking home as I was walking with my friends. I tried my best to keep it inside but I broke apart when I got home and started crying. I felt my stomack growl again today and my hands started shaking and got sweaty. I was about to cry so I told my teacher I felt sick and went to the sick bay and came home. I looked at the symptoms of IBS and think I may have it. I’ve been quite anxious the past few months so it could be due to it. I have the class again tomorrow and I’m terrified thinking about it. I don’t feel like going to school again tomorrow as I’m scared my stomach might started growling and I don’t know what to do. I read that IBS flare ups tend to last 2-4 days so I feel like not going to school tomorrow but my school says we have to have 95% attendance so I don’t want to have an absence. My attendance was really bad last year as well due to my social anxiety. Please help. I’m too scared to tell my friends rn and I don’t know what I should do in this situation, does anyone have any advice?
Hey!
Coming from someone else with social anxiety (and a few other anxiety disorders to ice the cake nicely) I figured the first thing I mention should be that certain physical symptoms caused by anxiety can be pretty similar to those of IBS. That being said, I would highly reccomend telling your parent(s). I know it seems embarassing, but I promise that they won't think of it like that - they'll just want you to be healthy.
As far as being worried about school goes, in honesty, I don't think I have much advice. I'd say that telling teachers - if you're comfortable with it of course - that you're having stomach/bowel issues would be a good start, as they'll be likely to let you go to the bathroom when you need to.
I'd also suggest - if you haven't already - trying to get on the NHS waiting list for therapy. I've learned a lot from my time with therapy/psychotherapy and continue to. Also, I promise it's not as scary as you think. It's tough, but not scary. Good luck <3
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey!
Coming from someone else with social anxiety (and a few other anxiety disorders to ice the cake nicely) I figured the first thing I mention should be that certain physical symptoms caused by anxiety can be pretty similar to those of IBS. That being said, I would highly reccomend telling your parent(s). I know it seems embarassing, but I promise that they won't think of it like that - they'll just want you to be healthy.
As far as being worried about school goes, in honesty, I don't think I have much advice. I'd say that telling teachers - if you're comfortable with it of course - that you're having stomach/bowel issues would be a good start, as they'll be likely to let you go to the bathroom when you need to.
I'd also suggest - if you haven't already - trying to get on the NHS waiting list for therapy. I've learned a lot from my time with therapy/psychotherapy and continue to. Also, I promise it's not as scary as you think. It's tough, but not scary. Good luck <3

This is almost certainly linked to your anxiety. You should talk to school who should inforn teachers you need to be allowed to exit classes to go to bathroom. Your Gp should be able to prescribe some medication to help with anxiety. Beta Blockers would help with sweat and palpatations. Daughter was prescibed escitralaprim which has been a game changer for her. You could benefit frim therapy and if your parents can afford it go private and see a clinical psychologist.
You would also benefit from the well being tape for anxiety available from Amazon. You need to do this 3times a day but it will bring your anxiety levels down. So see Gp talk to parents who can talk to school and in the meantime get tape. It costs about 5 pounds. Hope you get this sorted I do know it is a nightmare right now but help is out there. Goodluck.

Quick Reply

Latest