A level English language paper 1 Question 1- EXPERTS PLEASE MARK!!!!!

Watch
ReusCrispies
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Here is the link to the article - How did Britain get so rude? https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-...36A3-JUN18.PDF
Analyse how TEXT A uses language to create meanings and representations.
25 marks
The purpose of the article seems to question the atrocities taking place in Britain, albeit through the expense of the current society. In addition, the article serves its purpose to highlight and send a subtle warning towards how ungrateful individuals in the UK are and how it seemingly differs from life around 30 years ago, whilst educating the audience on what could potentially devise if society continues to live in its uncultured ways. The article itself seems to revolve around an audience of teenagers, specifically male simply because of the chosen lexis which is installed within the text.
Initially, we are accustomed to an interrogative which questions how Britain has become pessimistic place to live in peace and liberation. “How did Britain get so rude?” Immediately, there’s an idea that Britain is represented as delinquent because the adjective “rude” attains negative connotations of disrespectful and careless, implying that Britain is not a place to resort to for any occasion. The fact that the phrase was announced by a “leading manners expert” suggests that there is a surreal problem in the country. The superlative “expert” has connotations of abundance of knowledge (and therefore) in regard to the welfare of Britain through the use of the verb “bemoan”, suggesting that the expert is concerned and angered by society. Perhaps, the verb “bemoan” was necessary in this instance because it depicts the negativity surrounded around Britain. Furthermore, the adjective “intolerable “represents Britain as unsettling, suggesting it’s not the best of places to live. The fact that the pronoun “us” is being used shows and represents society as suffering because of the “irresponsibility attitudes” of louts, causing everyone to feel this suffering.
Whilst mentioning the nightmare procedures of entering the train, the dynamic verb “barge” is used to highlight how the majority of individuals hustle for a spot on it. The dynamic verb “barge” has connotations of aggressiveness and represents how eager people are on getting onto the train, possibly because they are unwilling OF entertaining the idea of waiting for the next available one especially on a “Monday morning”
The article includes graphology to give readers a visual representation of the attitude’s “youths” are advocating in Britain. The picture highlights ex priminister David Cameron, who at the time was a popular and “important” figurehead. Here, he is being ridiculed by a youth member through unapologetic gestures. The photo further represents society as ignorant and fairly uneducated. It reiterates the “rude(ness)” of Britain and how the country has seemingly failed however, this is subverted through the second picture, which seemed to have been taken some years ago, where a classroom of students can be seen respecting the teacher and being polite. It represents the previous generation as well nurtured in comparison to the current – Hard to please.
Sen6374
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a good response and does have relevant Ao1 and Ao3. Ideally, u should look at the mark scheme to judge but future tips include: 1) when u talk about GAP genre audience purpose try to always get an ao1 term in there its easy marks and it looks good. 2) try to be as specific ap with terminology use high end stuff like adjunct disjunct etc. Rather than adjective 3) also u need to find cross patterns to earn top band marks e.g combine graphology with discourse etc hope this helps
ReusCrispies
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sen6374)
This is a good response and does have relevant Ao1 and Ao3. Ideally, u should look at the mark scheme to judge but future tips include: 1) when u talk about GAP genre audience purpose try to always get an ao1 term in there its easy marks and it looks good. 2) try to be as specific ap with terminology use high end stuff like adjunct disjunct etc. Rather than adjective 3) also u need to find cross patterns to earn top band marks e.g combine graphology with discourse etc hope this helps
Thank you! By any chance if you was to score this out of 25, how many marks would I be looking at?
Sen6374
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ReusCrispies)
Thank you! By any chance if you was to score this out of 25, how many marks would I be looking at?
19/25 High A territory because u r ao3 dominant
ReusCrispies
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sen6374)
19/25 High A territory because u r ao3 dominant
Thank you. Lastly, when talking about GAP, what type of A01 terms would you insist on me using?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (256)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (195)
43.24%

Watched Threads