The Student Room Group

Shoud I take my internship?

Hi,

I've been offered an internship. It is right in my desired career field and quite prestigious, which I'm excited about.

However, the main issue is that they ask that I commit to 3 full working days per week. I have Wednesdays free to offer, but finding another two days would potentially entail neglecting one of my weekly lectures - admittedly, I tend to miss a lot of lectures and catch up, but I'm going into my final year which is obviously very important. I may also try to negotiate hours with them regarding the third, so that I don't miss my seminars.

In addition, I also would have to quit my current job. I feel guilty about this because my bosses have been so accommodating with regard to my uni timetable and even taking time off. Also, the internship is unpaid, so money is another downside.

What should I do?
Do you have verbal support from anyone right now at home or anything, in which you can sit down with them and write out the pros and cons of the situation?

Is there any possibility that you can thank the internship placement offer for this opportunity? however, see if you can negotiate with them the chance to maybe do only 1 internship day (or two at a push?) and explain to them your reasons why??? They should hopefully understand enough to try accommodate you?

Original post by rekanem
Hi,

I've been offered an internship. It is right in my desired career field and quite prestigious, which I'm excited about.

However, the main issue is that they ask that I commit to 3 full working days per week. I have Wednesdays free to offer, but finding another two days would potentially entail neglecting one of my weekly lectures - admittedly, I tend to miss a lot of lectures and catch up, but I'm going into my final year which is obviously very important. I may also try to negotiate hours with them regarding the third, so that I don't miss my seminars.

In addition, I also would have to quit my current job. I feel guilty about this because my bosses have been so accommodating with regard to my uni timetable and even taking time off. Also, the internship is unpaid, so money is another downside.

What should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending