The Student Room Group

What’s your experience of not drinking at uni?

Hiya! Just wondered what everyone’s experiences have been with not drinking/not clubbing that much, at uni?
Absolutely fantastic! I made looooads of friends too. I also have plenty of friends who didn't really drink at university.

Had no problems whatsoever. :rambo:
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya! Just wondered what everyone’s experiences have been with not drinking/not clubbing that much, at uni?

Not an issue at all, you'll find other people in the same position as you. You can just join societies/clubs, make friends there rather than going clubbing.

Forgot to mentioned clubbing on my first post. I actually don't think any/many of my friends went clubbing (much) in 1st year. Some do but it's definitely not a problem if you don't. I didn't and I made loads of awesome friends.
Reply 4
Original post by Quick-use
Absolutely fantastic! I made looooads of friends too. I also have plenty of friends who didn't really drink at university.

Had no problems whatsoever. :rambo:

Thank you! That’s really reassured me! 😀
Reply 5
Not an issue at all, you'll find other people in the same position as you. You can just join societies/clubs, make friends there rather than going clubbing.

Thank you!! 😁

Thank you!! 😁
I’m gonna share my view from both sides. I made loads of friends from societies and clubs. These friends are amazing as we all share similar interests or enjoy the same activities. Had loads fun with them and went traveling all over the country for club trips and for uni/sports competitions. The point is that if you actively engage yourself into societies then you’d have no problem meeting actual interesting people who would love to hang out with you.

However, I did go through a lot of difficulties at the beginning especially during first year. During fresher’s week or even fresher’s month, almost all events organised in my flat and my hall involved heavy drinking and subsequent clubbing. I really made an effort to at least try a few. But honestly, I found it difficult to even talk to people properly (probs because of extremely loud music and drunk people...) let alone making friends who are genuinely interesting. It gets worse when later on people already formed small groups lol. That said I did learn from my mistakes and throw myself into the things I love from second year on and made some amazing friends!

tldr: go actively seek out things/societies/clubs you enjoy, don’t bother with drinking/clubbing if you don’t think you can fit in with that environment! Be true to yourself and I’m sure you will love it!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending