The Student Room Group

Full time job for gap year - entry level, no experience

I have been applying for jobs since i completed A levels and only had two interviews.

Any good websites for entry level students?

I’ve already looked on indeed, total jobs, cv library etc.

What job would be good for a gap year? Or would short temporary roles look better to Include in a personal statement?
Reply 1
I think longer roles might be better for the personal statement as they show more commitment? Maybe look for something related to the subject you're applying for, e.g - English Lit - a library or book shop, although some subjects would be harder to find jobs for. Anything like working in a shop or waitering is probably a good gap year job. Hope it goes well!
Reply 2
Original post by St4d3nt
I think longer roles might be better for the personal statement as they show more commitment? Maybe look for something related to the subject you're applying for, e.g - English Lit - a library or book shop, although some subjects would be harder to find jobs for. Anything like working in a shop or waitering is probably a good gap year job. Hope it goes well!

Thanks for your help! Yeah I think I’ll look into a more permanent role
so..you dont have a degree. nor experience. and you want a full time role. 😶
Reply 4
Original post by Bang Outta Order
so..you dont have a degree. nor experience. and you want a full time role. 😶

I just finished my A-levels this August🤣 I’m I’ve done two short work experience placements but that’s it. I have to start somewhere
Original post by RXMXXKX
I just finished my A-levels this August🤣 I’m I’ve done two short work experience placements but that’s it. I have to start somewhere

"have to start somewhere" normally is a saying that's used when people accept their limitations and the reality and take a part time or an apprenticeship or volunteer. :indiff:
Reply 6
If you haven’t got anything productive to say then you know what to do.
Reply 7
if you're looking more science based, try YINI (Year in Industry - run by the EDT) - not sure if they'll still be accepting applications. They help you to gain a 10-12 month paid placement in industry.

Companies sometimes offer pre-university internships, but they can be hard to find - again, I don't know if you'd be too late applying for those, because they tend to start bewteen aug-oct if they're a year long, but definitely worth searching specifically for those.

Like an earlier reply said, it's probably best to do something related to your course if you can, but I think what matters most is the transferable skills you gain from a job, like communication, organisation and teamwork. If you can't find anything related to your course, I wouldn't worry - a gap year is time for you to enjoy things and try something new :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by imelpa
if you're looking more science based, try YINI (Year in Industry - run by the EDT) - not sure if they'll still be accepting applications. They help you to gain a 10-12 month paid placement in industry.

Companies sometimes offer pre-university internships, but they can be hard to find - again, I don't know if you'd be too late applying for those, because they tend to start bewteen aug-oct if they're a year long, but definitely worth searching specifically for those.

Like an earlier reply said, it's probably best to do something related to your course if you can, but I think what matters most is the transferable skills you gain from a job, like communication, organisation and teamwork. If you can't find anything related to your course, I wouldn't worry - a gap year is time for you to enjoy things and try something new :smile:

Thanks, I will check that site out! I’m thinking about doing business management with spanish.

I am still undecided though.

Quick Reply

Latest