My family are overreacting over this

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I think my family are overreacting over a recent incident that happened. I was in the house and there are two sitting rooms. I was in one of the sitting rooms near the kitchen whilst the other people (4 others) were in the other sitting room near the front door. They have a pet dog. I had ordered food and the delivery person rang the bell, so I rushed over to get my food, I opened the door slightly because that's when I saw the dog walk towards me, and Ofc I didn't want the dog to escape. I had already assumed one of the people who were in the other room were holding on to the dog because that's what they always do. Now, I've been scolded by the owner of the dog and the owners mother that I am no longer to be trusted to be left alone in the house with the dog over a mistake I made? Does this even justify anything? I would never do anything to harm a dog neither would I try to free it. When my food came I literally made sure the door was half open, not open the full way as the dog could easily have escaped.

I'm gonna be honest I don't like dogs but I would never do anything bad to them. Now they fear the worse could come over me if I was to ever stay with the dog by myself. There is an event happening this week and pets aren't allowed to go, so of course the dog is gonna stay at the house and they have warned me already that they do not trust me to be with the dog so I have to find somewhere else to stay in the meantime.

I honestly think my family are overreacting, it was a mistake. People learn from mistakes. And the fact that they don't trust me to be by their pet just sounds ridiculous. But each to their own. Do you think my family are overreacting?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Deffo think they're overreacting especially S you didn't open the door fully knowing thT the dog was there and he may escape.

If you had flung open the door without any care for the dog, their reaction would ve understandable but imo I really do think they're overreacting!!
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They are overreacting but don't worry about it. At least you won't have to deal with the dog if someone else is mainly looking after it.
Anonymous #1
Update: recently been lectured about the same issue. It's draining because I have mentioned it numerous times, that although I don't like animals, dogs etc I would never do anything to hurt or harm them. The owner of the dog and the owners mother told me straight up AGAIN.. that they do not trust me to be with their dog.. and it makes THEM to feel uncomfortable whenever their dog is around me. They know damn well my attitudes to animals and even though that's the case, like I said again, I will never do anything to them. But DAMN... It is what it is. If it bothers YOU then don't you think you should remove the dog from being around ME. I have no problem being around the dog, I can control my attitudes and tolerate being around it.

Overall, I can't see myself living with them.. the stress and all of having to deal with issues surrounding the dog daily whenever I mind my business will just be too much for me to even take. That's why I have been actively looking to live in student accommodation.

and like I have mentioned, that's is fine. I'm ok with that. Then they went onto to discuss other stuff which I don't even care about.
Because
Anonymous #1
Additionally: ** ignore the last message where it says 'and like I have mentioned...' that was meant to be deleted **
username4635036
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s their responsibility to look after their dog , not yours. Tell them they should take better care of their dog and not expect other people in the house to babysit it. You have done nothing wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads