The Student Room Group

gap tooth is back after braces

So I got my braces off after 2 years in November last year and it's been 9 months now and I've worn my retainers every single night without a fail and even during the day whenever I can. The reason I've resorted to wearing it during the day even after the compulsory 24/7 period immediately after my braces came off is because my upper teeth have the tendency to shift a noticeable amount during the day. Infact, not even an hour after taking my retainer off, the gap between my two front teeth is back! and if I go without them for the whole day, so 12 hours, by the end of the night I can fit my debit card through the gap.

It's really annoying and my dentist said it's normal and to just keep wearing my retainers but I spent alot on my braces (around £4000) and also my retainers which cost around £280 a pair, they've had to be changed twice, so I've spent a lot on orthodontic work and feel a bit sad that after all that work, my gap still returns. Is there anything else I can do? would a fixed retainer help close the gap again or would it keep it as it was before? I don't think my retainers are tight enough to keep the pressure against my teeth, because I tried to wear my first set and they wouldn't go on so obviously my teeth have shifted a significant amount.
Original post by Anonymous
So I got my braces off after 2 years in November last year and it's been 9 months now and I've worn my retainers every single night without a fail and even during the day whenever I can. The reason I've resorted to wearing it during the day even after the compulsory 24/7 period immediately after my braces came off is because my upper teeth have the tendency to shift a noticeable amount during the day. Infact, not even an hour after taking my retainer off, the gap between my two front teeth is back! and if I go without them for the whole day, so 12 hours, by the end of the night I can fit my debit card through the gap.

It's really annoying and my dentist said it's normal and to just keep wearing my retainers but I spent alot on my braces (around £4000) and also my retainers which cost around £280 a pair, they've had to be changed twice, so I've spent a lot on orthodontic work and feel a bit sad that after all that work, my gap still returns. Is there anything else I can do? would a fixed retainer help close the gap again or would it keep it as it was before? I don't think my retainers are tight enough to keep the pressure against my teeth, because I tried to wear my first set and they wouldn't go on so obviously my teeth have shifted a significant amount.

Honestly that’s really strange... I had my braces taken off several years ago and literally wore my retainers every night for 3 years before deciding I didn’t need them anymore. My teeth have barely moved out of place. If I were you I’d wear my retainers for much longer or ask for a fixed retainer.
I feel you. My teeth move a lot and it’s so annoying because you can’t even see the dentist often here and you can’t stop them from moving
Reply 3
Really?

Honestly that’s really strange... I had my braces taken off several years ago and literally wore my retainers every night for 3 years before deciding I didn’t need them anymore. My teeth have barely moved out of place. If I were you I’d wear my retainers for much longer or ask for a fixed retainer.

Oh wow really? I wish mine would stay in their position. It's really annoying and I feel like my orthodontist doesn't really take me seriously when I ask about it, they say it's a small gap compared to what it used to be, and obviously it is, but it's still such a noticeable gap I don't understand why they're not willing to rectify it :frown:(
Reply 4
I feel you. My teeth move a lot and it’s so annoying because you can’t even see the dentist often here and you can’t stop them from moving

Right! Ive seen mine twice for a checkup since I got them off and my next one is in 6 months and then they discharge me which in really bummed about because they've not been really willing to fix the gap :/
Reply 5
Right! Ive seen mine twice for a checkup since I got them off and my next one is in 6 months and then they discharge me which in really bummed about because they've not been really willing to fix the gap :/

Also the longer I wait to see them, the more my teeth will have eventually moved, it's really really annoying. I don't know what else to do
a gap tooth is cute i’ve always wanted one so consider yourself lucky! what you don’t like is another persons definition of beauty
Reply 7
Hi,

I had braces and that happened to me too. I have now gone back to my orthodontist and am getting braces again, however, if you feel like the retainers aren’t helping, you should look into permanent bonding retainers which is a wire fitted behind your teeth to keep them in place. Please do get more information from your orthodontist about this as this is an option.
Reply 8
Original post by Softlyxo
Hi,

I had braces and that happened to me too. I have now gone back to my orthodontist and am getting braces again, however, if you feel like the retainers aren’t helping, you should look into permanent bonding retainers which is a wire fitted behind your teeth to keep them in place. Please do get more information from your orthodontist about this as this is an option.

I hadn't thought about getting braces again, I don't know if I'd want to go through another course of them again :frown: for reasons of comfort and then price, although I feel like my orthodontist should cover it since his original treatment plan failed if that was the case Is there any other reason your orthodontist let you get braces again? Or was it just a recurring gap?
Reply 9
a gap tooth is cute i’ve always wanted one so consider yourself lucky! what you don’t like is another persons definition of beauty

I guess beauty is subjective, but it always bothers me when I see it I just feel like for the money I paid on these braces for the purpose of closing the gaps in my teeth, I should expect this one to stay closed? Idk :frown:
I hadn't thought about getting braces again, I don't know if I'd want to go through another course of them again :frown: for reasons of comfort and then price, although I feel like my orthodontist should cover it since his original treatment plan failed if that was the case Is there any other reason your orthodontist let you get braces again? Or was it just a recurring gap?

My initial braces were fitted for free via the NHS around 6 years ago. I am now paying for them to be fitted again as they have moved a large amount and my teeth are something I’m very cautious of. But the permanent retainer bonding should be fitted as soon as your braces are taken off.
Original post by Softlyxo
My initial braces were fitted for free via the NHS around 6 years ago. I am now paying for them to be fitted again as they have moved a large amount and my teeth are something I’m very cautious of. But the permanent retainer bonding should be fitted as soon as your braces are taken off.

Ohh I see, is there a reason yours have shifted so much? Were you made to wear a removable retainer? And yeah, originally my treatment plan included a permanent retainer but my ortho skipped it and said it wasn't necessary and now I'm wondering if it's too late to get it fitted since my teeth have already moved :/
I totally get why you would be proper annoyed after having paid that much
I had 3 different braces over 4 years. 2 to fix my bite and 1 to fix the gaps. I also had to have 5 baby and 1 adult teeth pulled out as they weren't falling out fast enough. I do feel your pain as when I had finished all my treatment my teeth were determined to go back to how they were before. I wore my retainer but it just started snapping due to the movement of my teeth so I gave up. In the end I couldn't give a rat's arse what my teeth look like as if people don't want anything to do with me due to my teeth, then they aren't worth knowing. You have to decide how important it all is for you.
Don't forget they start to fall out at 60, you gotta look at the big picture, there is always dentures. Plus you could be using the money to have some incredible holidays or days out and create some memories instead.

Quick Reply

Latest