Not sure on next Steps after A level results day

Watch
Alyidiir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I received my results last week they were CDD, (Economics, Physics and Computer science)
I wanted to go to uni to study Accounting and Finance but I did not meet the grade requirements (ABB). My backup choice had withdrawn the offer they made to me an I thought that I would have to resit. But my first choice offered me a place on their Business, Management and Economics course (with a foundation year). I accepted but since then my family has urged me to decline the offer and to resit my alevels as they don't think its worth "spending £12,000 on a qualification that is worth less than a levels" (their words exactly). The university has said that if I were to pass my foundation year I would be allowed to switch to accounting and finance in first year. I don't know what to do, the main deterrent of resitting my alevels is that me and my family have had several issues at home to the point that in December my father and I physically came to blows. I don't get along with them very much and I have wanted to leave the house for as long as I can remember. My father said that if I were to resit I'd have to cut all social ties and distractions (gaming, watching TV, YouTube etc). I do get that reducing the amount of distractions I have is smart but I don't think that eliminating them entirely is smart as well, as people need breaks/outlets so they don't burn out.

All in all I honestly don't know what to do. I want to go to Uni but if everyone in my family is suggesting that I don't go to uni and instead resit. is it smart if I were to go to uni. Or should I go to uni and put in the maximum effort needed to excel.

Sorry if I rambled on towards the end.
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, it is your decision and your parents need to accept it. You could take the foundation and then carry on (try not to think of the extra debt as it eventually doesn’t matter) or you could resist if you know you can work hard and do a lot better. I got BDD after finishing a levels this year but I managed to get an offer from MMU without a foundation year.
I ASK QUESTIONS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
r e s i t
Foundation years are ridiculous unless you've picked the wrong A-levels and need to get into a course that you couldn't with the subjects you do.

Resit year - not really 12 months feels more like 6 or 7 months so time flies by fast af. You're a-level predicted grades go up slightly so you can apply to better unis or the same uni and they'll probs make you the offer again. Because it's the same content it's lowkey relaxing time so you get to mature and become much more confident/happier.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alyidiir)
I received my results last week they were CDD, (Economics, Physics and Computer science)
I wanted to go to uni to study Accounting and Finance but I did not meet the grade requirements (ABB). My backup choice had withdrawn the offer they made to me an I thought that I would have to resit. But my first choice offered me a place on their Business, Management and Economics course (with a foundation year). I accepted but since then my family has urged me to decline the offer and to resit my alevels as they don't think its worth "spending £12,000 on a qualification that is worth less than a levels" (their words exactly). The university has said that if I were to pass my foundation year I would be allowed to switch to accounting and finance in first year. I don't know what to do, the main deterrent of resitting my alevels is that me and my family have had several issues at home to the point that in December my father and I physically came to blows. I don't get along with them very much and I have wanted to leave the house for as long as I can remember. My father said that if I were to resit I'd have to cut all social ties and distractions (gaming, watching TV, YouTube etc). I do get that reducing the amount of distractions I have is smart but I don't think that eliminating them entirely is smart as well, as people need breaks/outlets so they don't burn out.

All in all I honestly don't know what to do. I want to go to Uni but if everyone in my family is suggesting that I don't go to uni and instead resit. is it smart if I were to go to uni. Or should I go to uni and put in the maximum effort needed to excel.

In most cases I would definitely say resit as your A levels will stay with you for life, and will still be on your CV when you are applying for graduate jobs, even if you do successfully transition onto the degree that you want to do at the end of the first year. In your case, it is a harder question due to the toxic family dynamic that you describe.

I agree with you that reducing your distractions rather than cutting them all out completely would be more realistic and healthier, but I'm not sure how strict your father would be about actually enforcing that rule (or is he just overstating the case at the moment because he is upset?) Only you can really judge how bad it is at home and whether you could bear to stay there another year. From a purely careers point of view, I do agree with your family that it would be better (and cheaper) for you to resit your A levels and achieve better grades. Unis are really pushing foundation years at the moment as they want the extra tuition fees but they are not always the best thing for the young people they offer them to. If you can bear to stay at home another year, you would probably be better off improving your grades and going to uni next year instead.
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
J0n3zviper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alyidiir)

Your dad sounds like my dad, toxic AF. Get out now, my dad greatly affected my mental health and still does to this day, so glad I don't live with him.. I've also had punch ups with my dad also. Honestly get out now start building your life, if your dad is telling you all social interactions need to be cut, that's just telling you, your life will be hell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.63%

Watched Threads