itsnotblank
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi
I got an A in my Nat5 English, however, yesterday I got my component marks back and I only reached 78% overall. My folio did pretty well (27/30), so the "real" exam grade was even lower. I got 96% in the prelim (it was treaded exactly like an exam at our school, so it's not the case of cheating or knowing the questions prior to sitting the papers), where folio wasn't taken into account, and that was the top result in my whole year. I thought the exams went okay and I was hoping for a better result, so it's still hard for me to believe that I just got an A when the whole year I was working at a strong A1 level (and was predicted an A1).
I was considering talking to my teacher about getting a remark, but surely that would be silly as I got an A that I'd be risking. However, I'm just really not content with my grade, so I feel incredibly disheartened and the chance of bumping it up seems incredible.
I'm also most likely going to apply to English unis that DO ask for your bands, so yes, it does matter.
Any advice?
Thanks.
Last edited by itsnotblank; 4 weeks ago
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by itsnotblank)
Hi
I got an A in my Nat5 English, however, yesterday I got my component marks back and I only reached 78% overall. My folio did pretty well (27/30), so the "real" exam grade was even lower. I got 96% in the prelim (it was treaded exactly like an exam at our school, so it's not the case of cheating or knowing the questions prior to sitting the papers), where folio wasn't taken into account, and that was the top result in my whole year. I thought the exams went okay and I was hoping for a better result, so it's still hard for me to believe that I just got an A when the whole year I was working at a strong A1 level (and was predicted an A1).
I was considering talking to my teacher about getting a remark, but surely that would be silly as I got an A that I'd be risking. However, I'm just really not content with my grade, so I feel incredibly disheartened and the chance of bumping it up seems incredible.
I'm also most likely going to apply to English unis that DO ask for your bands, so yes, it does matter.
Any advice?
Thanks.
Hey, firstly congratulations on your A - that’s a fantastic result

I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t get the A1 you were hoping for.

The first thing I would say is that N5 bands won’t matter for Universities. As far as i’m aware, the only universities that will ask for bands at Higher are Oxbridge. You disclose your bands on an external document called the SAQ, rather than UCAS - so it is only these universities that are bothered about them. Some universities down south also offer conditionals inclusive of A1 at Advanced Higher. You won’t be asked for your N5 bands, so don’t worry about getting an A2 at all.

I would suggest that if you’re really discontent with it, you could put in for a remark, however, I’d also say this:

1 - The A1 mark is 86% for N5 english iirc, you’d need to pick 8 marks up in the RUAE, SST and essay - which are far less subjective than the folio, which you already received and outstanding mark in. I’ve heard of people’s marks going up if they were a couple of percent below a boundary, but from what I understand - it’s the folio remark that usually helps.

2 - Use the motivation of not getting the A1 at N5 to push yourself for an A1 at higher, when bands do start to become relevant for some Unis.

Hope this helps
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by itsnotblank)
Hi
Any advice?
Thanks.
The grade would only be changed if it actually changed- since the SQA don't differentiate between an A and A1 when it comes to the grade awarded, the only things that could happen to an A in a remark is stay the same or go down.

As has been said above, Nat 5 bands don't matter and even if they did, one A rather than an A1 would be considered very forgiveable (for want of a better word).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
10%
Disagree (2)
10%
Neither agree or disagree (6)
30%
Agree (6)
30%
Strongly Agree (4)
20%

Watched Threads