The Student Room Group

Advanced Learner Loan - distance learning HE access courses?

Hi everyone,

I’m currently in the process of looking for an Access to Higher Education course to help me get a place on a Spanish and Culture course at university in 2020.

The universities of my choice have informed me that there is no requirements in terms of access courses to get onto their Spanish courses; so I can choose any course that I’m interested in.

I’ve chosen social sciences and humanities as I feel this somewhat has some relation to the Spanish and a Culture course content...

My problem is, every distance learning company I’ve contacted doesn’t accept Advanced Learner Loans for Humanities subjects. Has anyone else completed an online HE access course and paid for it with an Advanced Learner Loan? I’m not currently in a position to pay for it off my own back.

I appreciate any help in advance, thanks
Original post by ellie_kxx
Hi everyone,

I’m currently in the process of looking for an Access to Higher Education course to help me get a place on a Spanish and Culture course at university in 2020.

The universities of my choice have informed me that there is no requirements in terms of access courses to get onto their Spanish courses; so I can choose any course that I’m interested in.

I’ve chosen social sciences and humanities as I feel this somewhat has some relation to the Spanish and a Culture course content...

My problem is, every distance learning company I’ve contacted doesn’t accept Advanced Learner Loans for Humanities subjects. Has anyone else completed an online HE access course and paid for it with an Advanced Learner Loan? I’m not currently in a position to pay for it off my own back.

Hi there @ellie_kxx

Access to HE courses delivered by colleges in England and approved for public funding are co-funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency, so you may struggle to find an online or distance learning Access course that accepts the Advanced Learner Loan.

Is attending a college for the course not possible at all? I managed to work and attend a full time Access course. It is highly unlikely you would be required to be in 9-4 Monday-Friday, and whilst it was a struggle at times with being tired, I managed to gain the place at the university of my choice, plus the course is an academic year, its a short term thing before you can attend uni full time. .

Fi :horse:
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @ellie_kxx

Access to HE courses delivered by colleges in England and approved for public funding are co-funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency, so you may struggle to find an online or distance learning Access course that accepts the Advanced Learner Loan.

Is attending a college for the course not possible at all? I managed to work and attend a full time Access course. It is highly unlikely you would be required to be in 9-4 Monday-Friday, and whilst it was a struggle at times with being tired, I managed to gain the place at the university of my choice, plus the course is an academic year, its a short term thing before you can attend uni full time. .

Thanks for your response, were you working part time or full time while doing your access course? My local college offers the exact course I want to do but it’s over 2.5 days a week, I’m not sure if that’s evenings or not as they haven’t stated on their website. It would difficult for me to work part time but possibly I could try and make it work... thanks again for your help!
Thanks for your response, were you working part time or full time while doing your access course? My local college offers the exact course I want to do but it’s over 2.5 days a week, I’m not sure if that’s evenings or not as they haven’t stated on their website. It would difficult for me to work part time but possibly I could try and make it work... thanks again for your help!

Hi there @ellie_kxx

I was working pretty much full time. I will admit I was tired at times but I also knew it was short term to reach my end goal, uni. Several people on my course also didn't turn up to every lecture due to work/real life commitments but still graduated. Have you contacted the college and asked for a sample timetable of the course? They should be happy to help.

Reply 4
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @ellie_kxx

I was working pretty much full time. I will admit I was tired at times but I also knew it was short term to reach my end goal, uni. Several people on my course also didn't turn up to every lecture due to work/real life commitments but still graduated. Have you contacted the college and asked for a sample timetable of the course? They should be happy to help.

I just called the college to ask, the timetables don’t work out with my full time job, I.e one group is held Monday 9-14:30, Tuesday 9-1700, Thursday 11-1400. So, I may just have to fork out and pay in full for an online access course in a few months when I’ve saved money...
I just called the college to ask, the timetables don’t work out with my full time job, I.e one group is held Monday 9-14:30, Tuesday 9-1700, Thursday 11-1400. So, I may just have to fork out and pay in full for an online access course in a few months when I’ve saved money...

Hi @ellie_kxx

I'm sorry to hear that. In that case, I would look at online providers (ensure they are Accredited) and enquire if maybe you can pay for the course in installments, instead of waiting and saving up. If would mean you can start your course earlier.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Hi everyone,
Hi

There is Enable and also Adult Activate Learning
Highbury Online
Adult Activate Learning
Enable

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending