Why do some people say that British food is bad? Watch

anime198
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I know our food is nowhere near the standards of food in France, Italy, Spain, India etc but I really think that this is a horrible myth that should be debunked. People say our food is tasteless, bland and is unnecessarily greasy. I really have to disagree. I've eaten in loads of restaurants in the UK and the food in all of those places was fantastic. And the most common cuisine is curry, NOT fish and chips.
We have a range of different curries and different roast dinners. One thing I've noticed is that people never say our desserts are bad. Just the main course.
I just think this is a silly stereotype that is completely worn thin. Our cuisine may have been somewhat bland like in the 1950s, but we've come a long way since then. I've heard from many tourists aswell that they really enjoyed the food at various places they've eaten. The UK was also voted to have some of the top restaurants many times. Why do people still believe this myth about British cuisine? Shouldn't people start getting with the times?
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Who says that? :mob:
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
cos they're ignorant
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Guessing its a lot of French/Italian people - wouldn't blame them if they haven't tried any good British food.

Know im going to get hate, but don't feel the same culinary history and culture in Britain as in other places so understand some of the stereotypes.

Beans on toast , and all manners of beige coloured food
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
*When you have to colonise half the world to try and get flavour into your food but fail :eek:*
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
the origin of chicken tikka masala is disputed
ShockedBerry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just going to say a lot of hams and stuff are really bad compared to other parts of Europe. its quite tasteless and has a very weird texture.
Anon2325
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by anime198)
I know our food is nowhere near the standards of food in France, Italy, Spain, India etc but I really think that this is a horrible myth that should be debunked. People say our food is tasteless, bland and is unnecessarily greasy. I really have to disagree. I've eaten in loads of restaurants in the UK and the food in all of those places was fantastic. And the most common cuisine is curry, NOT fish and chips.
We have a range of different curries and different roast dinners. One thing I've noticed is that people never say our desserts are bad. Just the main course.
I just think this is a silly stereotype that is completely worn thin. Our cuisine may have been somewhat bland like in the 1950s, but we've come a long way since then. I've heard from many tourists aswell that they really enjoyed the food at various places they've eaten. The UK was also voted to have some of the top restaurants many times. Why do people still believe this myth about British cuisine? Shouldn't people start getting with the times?
I'm an international student from India and I've been living in the UK for 2 years now. I won't say all British food is bad. I live in Plymouth and I've tried loads of places around me and I have to say I don't like the food one bit and I find it to be highly overpriced. I very genuinely haven't found a single place to eat out which I actually liked and I've tried pretty much everything. And I don't like the deserts either. And it's not just the British dishes, even the Chinese or Indian or Mexican or Italian food is well, not good at all.
However I had a much better experience in London, probably because it's a bigger city and more people from different parts of the world. All food in London was good, except the British food. It's just my personal opinion, just because people from different parts of the world have different palettes. And I have to say the Indian palette and British one are very different.
username4378620
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I like me some pie, sausage and mash and cheesy chips and beans. Seriously, it's sometimes a nice break from cultural food.
Eleanorkjackson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As a British person who grew up around Italian family and family who have always explored different foods and flavours, I can say that british food is definitely my least favourite food. To me, it is overly bland and doesn’t explore different tastes and flavours and spices. It’s simple, safe bet food. I’m not saying that I don’t enjoy a roast potato or anything but foods from other cultures do seem to incorporate a wider variety of flavours and tastes which are nicer to me.
username4540078
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
British food is great.

The problem is too many people in Britain can't cook well and a lot of low cost pubs/restaurants in the UK are mediocre at best. Cheap and cheerful restaurants in France knock the socks off their British equivalents.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Eleanorkjackson)
As a British person who grew up around Italian family and family who have always explored different foods and flavours, I can say that british food is definitely my least favourite food. To me, it is overly bland and doesn’t explore different tastes and flavours and spices. It’s simple, safe bet food. I’m not saying that I don’t enjoy a roast potato or anything but foods from other cultures do seem to incorporate a wider variety of flavours and tastes which are nicer to me.
Can relate.

s e a s o n i n g - is all i want!! spice, flavours etc not 50 shades of beige or beans on a piece of toast?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can't beat a nice roast dinner or steak and kidney pud
OddOnes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The most disgusting thing ever served came from a restaurant in France for me. We think it was a pig's large intestine. It smelt of ****, the most revolting smell I've ever smelt.

I think a lot of it comes from the lack of 'seasoning'. Something criticised by people who always come across as a bit racist but you can't say that to them :rolleyes:
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OddOnes)
The most disgusting thing ever served came from a restaurant in France for me. We think it was a pig's large intestine. It smelt of ****, the most revolting smell I've ever smelt.

I think a lot of it comes from the lack of 'seasoning'. Something criticised by people who always come across as a bit racist but you can't say that to them :rolleyes:
My husband ordered a pigs trotter in a French restaurant recently, it was awful. His fault for thinking he was being sophisticated when really he likes a nice steak and chips
anime198
Rep:
?
It all depends on what British cuisine you eat but the curries do tend to have a lot of spices and seasonings in them. You'll find that most Brits don't like mild curries, because you can't taste them that we'll, which is why Korma is not a popular curry.
J0n3zviper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
British food doesn't exist its like 5 items

Pastys
Scones
Roast dinner
Fish and chips

Can't even get to 5 actually
anime198
Rep:
?
It all depends on what British cuisine you eat but the curries do tend to have a lot of spices and seasonings in them. You'll find that most Brits don't like mild curries, because you can't taste them that we'll, which is why Korma is not a popular curry.
desou
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A lot of people are just a bit thick, and don't really understand what British food is, and think its just the stereotype of fish and chips and roast beef. The British have always produced the highest quality meats and produce, far higher than that on the continent, as a sea-faring nation, they've always incorporated a wide range of spices and herbs that they brought back from abroad, and been the quickest to adopt and embrace foreign cuisines in the post-colonial era. All of this is "British food". Many people are probably unaware that worldwide favourites like fried chicken and the ribeye steak are British culinary inventions.

If you can't appreciate high quality meat and produce, subtle and nuanced flavour combinations, and think that food has to be hot and spicy and laden with MSG to be flavourful, its not the food that is the problem, its your pathetic palate.

There are an enormous number of Michelin star restaurants in the UK, if you avoid crappy chain restaurants, you can easily find food of exceptional quality.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it's nothing special. some of it tastes nice (bangers and mash and that's it)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.91%
Disagree (5)
4.95%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.68%
Agree (40)
39.6%
Strongly Agree (15)
14.85%

Watched Threads

Latest