The Student Room Group

Why do some people say that British food is bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Halabaluza
Ikr. I am shocked people on here are claiming being served curries in restaurants is British.:toofunny:

Depends on the type of curry.
For example- Victorian curry recipes with apples, sugar, milk, truffles and beef dripping.
Or the madras and balti curries that suddenly became popular in 1960s birmingham&manchester.
Original post by londonmyst
Depends on the type of curry.
For example- Victorian curry recipes with apples, sugar, milk, truffles and beef dripping.
Or the madras and balti curries that suddenly became popular in 1960s birmingham&manchester.

Madras and Balti curries are not British. They originated in India. And to be honest the Victorian curry does not sound appetising.
Madras and Balti curries are not British. They originated in India. And to be honest the Victorian curry does not sound appetising.

My friends from India are disgusted by the uk's madras and balti curries.
Call them low quality british impersonations of authentic indian curry.
My friends from India are disgusted by the uk's madras and balti curries.
Call them low quality british impersonations of authentic indian curry.

Lol I hear that as well. Try telling an Indian that Uncle Bens curry sauce tastes like authentic Indian curry.

Also you have loads friends. Every time I see your posts you include your vast array of friends. Impressive.

I barely have 1.:closedeyes:
(edited 4 years ago)
Lol I hear that as well. Try telling an Indian that Uncle Bens curry sauce tastes like authentic Indian curry.

Also you have loads friends. Every time I see your posts you include your vast array of friends. Impressive.

I barely have 1.:closedeyes:

Loyd Grossman cooking sauces are the very worst.

I have an even larger number of friends wanting loans, home cooked meals or to live with me "for a couple of days". :tongue:
Thus resulting in a regular supply of sofa squatters, members of my toy animal collections suddenly vanishing with dinner guests and contributing towards £20k credit card debt.
Plenty of opportunities to make friends irl and online- whether you want to or not.
Enemies too. :biggrin:
@anime198 I think that the most was explained by yourself: the prejudices of people who think that British food just consists of Fish and Chips, just a few know the Christmas Pudding (like me). In a way, it stands to reason, because British foods did not get the attention worldwide as in Asian or Italian foods for instance. Guess that is the main reason of these prejudices: British food has not the popularity and thus not the appreciation outside of Britain. Nonetheless, that is just unfair for British foods to condemn, all the more the people never tasted it. They should taste it in a restaurant for first, if they want to judge about. I know harldy dishes coming from Britain, but that is no hindrance that I learn it for better. If you know some and are friendly to teach me better, name some recipes!

By the way, it looks like that you are into anime.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don’t like British food very much. I don’t like gravy or potatoes, so roast dinners and bangers and mash are out, and things like breakfast fries and fish and chips are too unhealthy to eat on a regular basis (and really boring without sauce).
I do love pasta and rice though so I often feel like I’m living in the wrong country (I’m Northern Irish).
Probably because they're not British.
bangers mash fish chips yorkshire pudding gravy sausage roll chilly beans, all at once in that order :tong:
Original post by unexpecteduk
I cant stand the British Chinese food - nothing like actual chinese food, sadly they do this to match brits tastes...
I don't really like 'British food' so i cook myself or order pizza and fried chicken.
Or go to Authentic Chinese/Korean/Thai restaurants - that's where the real food is at

Chinese food in China is just rice and chicken and noodles nothing spesh
Often because people are into food fads.
Or are only interested in popular online or high street food trends.
Also popular culture tends to focus on imported fast-foods and convenience meals, rather than traditional British homecooking or pub grub.
Many people could not even name 10 examples of traditional british dishes and 10 traditional desserts.
(...)

Looks very plausible what you stated. Think the same about the British cuisine. If so, the question is how it can be got this focus to become more popular abroad.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Moments
Name one place where you can get a meal for 2 under £20 that is good and I’ll go there.

My apologies, I didn't see the "for 2" bit. There are lots of good independent restaurants or pubs that do great food, but its probably more than £10 a head, yes.

But actually I think the problem here you're conflating affordability for rich tourists with affordability for locals. Good food is no more affordable in developing nations, it just feels that way to us because we have a beneficial exchange rate.
Reply 72
Original post by iiilly
(I speak as an Italian who lived in the UK for almost a year now)

You're mainly saying that in England you can find food from all over the world and that there is more variety than in other countries (which I really appreciate) but that doesn't mean that British food is good. In my opinion that actually sustain the opposite thesis.

Anyway having lived with a British family I got to experience the real British food and it wasn't bad in my opinion, just very easy and a little bit boring! :smile:

British food is the food people eat in Britain, whether that's pizza, curries, burgers, sushi, whatever. You can't draw a line 100 years ago and say that anything that has entered the cuisine since then "doesn't count".

Traditional British food is also probably the most widely eaten around the world. Go to pretty much any country in the world and you will find British inventions like steaks, pies, sausages, sandwiches, lasagne, balti etc, etc.
Reply 73
Original post by desou
British food is the food people eat in Britain, whether that's pizza, curries, burgers, sushi, whatever. You can't draw a line 100 years ago and say that anything that has entered the cuisine since then "doesn't count".

Traditional British food is also probably the most widely eaten around the world. Go to pretty much any country in the world and you will find British inventions like steaks, pies, sausages, sandwiches, lasagne, balti etc, etc.

So lasagna is a British invention? 😂😂😂😂😂
Sorry but your entire post sounds like complete bull**** to me
Reply 74
Original post by iiilly
So lasagna is a British invention? 😂😂😂😂😂
Sorry but your entire post sounds like complete bull**** to me

It surprised me too, but turns out this has been a well-known fact for years now. The first recipe for lasagne (layers of pasta with minced meat and veg and then cheese on top) dates from an English cookbook of 1390 (200 years before the Italians copied the idea).

http://madeupinbritain.uk/Lasagne
Original post by desou

You are very uneducated if you think everything you listed is a "British invention".
Reply 76
You are very uneducated if you think everything you listed is a "British invention".

On the contrary, I have been interested in this topic for decades and almost certainly know more about it than you do.

Now: was there something in particular you wanted to discuss?
Original post by desou
On the contrary, I have been interested in this topic for decades and almost certainly know more about it than you do.

Now: was there something in particular you wanted to discuss?

They never invented Balti or steak or sausages, this is a myth.

They did invent Pot Noodle and Hula Hoops though. that I know is true.
Reply 78
They never invented Balti or steak or sausages, this is a myth.

They did invent Pot Noodle and Hula Hoops though. that I know is true.

Sigh.

What evidence have you got for that?
Original post by J0n3zviper
Chinese food in China is just rice and chicken and noodles nothing spesh

Every providence in China has different cuisines

Quick Reply

Latest