RAF Medical Check - Is there a way to check early?

Watch
username592312
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good morning,

Is there a way to get the RAF medical done before applying, either through the RAF or privately?

I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery back in 2012. I also saw the doctor last year regarding urination pain, which was inconclusive. This pain is no longer present however.

The reason I am asking is because I am retraining and retaking my level 3 qualification. I will be studying an Access to HE course next year to make me eligible to apply for the Student Nurse (Adult) role.

Therefore I do not want to commit to a further two years only to be turned down due to my medical.

I would appreciate any information regarding this
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Flying Pig)
Good morning,

Is there a way to get the RAF medical done before applying, either through the RAF or privately?

I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery back in 2012. I also saw the doctor last year regarding urination pain, which was inconclusive. This pain is no longer present however.

The reason I am asking is because I am retraining and retaking my level 3 qualification. I will be studying an Access to HE course next year to make me eligible to apply for the Student Nurse (Adult) role.

Therefore I do not want to commit to a further two years only to be turned down due to my medical.

I would appreciate any information regarding this
No, I'm afraid not. The only people that can make a decision about fitness to serve are the RAF medics, and they only get involved if you make an application, get through the Capita medical and then they see and assess your documents from there.

You could make an application now and get to that stage, and then withdraw when you have your answer, without harming a subsequent application in two years time. However, I wouldn't tell the AFCO you are not intending to pursue, they might accept a two track story though
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just to add to the previous response, don't waste money getting any kind of private medical 'MOT' to say you are healthy and your operations don't affect you, because being fit for normal life doesn't necessarily make you fit to join up; the RAF medical staff keep current with studies, to understand how conditions could affect people in certain situations or in later life. Certainly, check that your medical records correctly reflect your status; too many people come on here having been rejected because there was something in their notes of which they say weren't aware or isn't accurate.

Might be me, but I don't quite understand your reasoning. Are you saying you need this course for the RAF, but not for a nursing career outside? I would be careful of making an application now just to see if you are fit. We do say on here for people to apply as no-one can tell whether certain medical conditions will be acceptable, but usually they have chosen their role. If you are going to apply, you need to find something for which you already meet the requirements, but you might fail at one of the early stages and never get to medical and then what? It used to be the case that we could suggest potential applicants sent a sealed medical letter with a cover via the AFCO, for review and to advise on whether to progress an application. I would contact your AFCO or maybe RAF_Adam could advise?
Last edited by Surnia; 1 year ago
username592312
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Just to add to an already very good response, don't waste money getting any kind of private medical 'MOT' to say you are healthy and and your operations don't affect you, because being fit for normal life doesn't necessarily make you fit to join up; the RAF medical staff keep current with studies, to understand how conditions could affect people in certain situations or in later life.

There'll be no-one on here that can comment on individual medical cases, nor can the AFCO staff.

For now, check that your medical records correctly reflect your status; too many people come on here having been rejected because there was something in their notes of which they say weren't aware or isn't accurate.

I have just requested access to my fully medical record from my GP surgery.

If there are things on there that are inaccurate can I get them changed?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
18.03%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads