Advice from Grade 7/8/9 GCSE Students 2019 Watch

epicnm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Going into Year 11 next year. How did the year 11s revise for these 2019 exams and what results did you get?Also do you have any advice for attaining a 7+, (hopefully 8s)
I do Bio,Chem,Physics,History,Maths,E nglish Lit, English lang, French,RS
Thanks!
Deggs_14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there, I’m going into year 13 so I’m a year older than your « target market » I suppose but I got all 8/9/A* at GCSE.

My biggest advice is to spend the first few weeks of year 11 thinking about how to revise for each subject. You’d have had some experience revising for year 10 internal exams. Think and reflect on what revision you did, and was it effective? Eg you might like mindmaps for history, flashcards for sciences, using Quizlet or Memrise for language vocab, posters for geography, notes in a folder for English etc. Try and think of what methods you find effective, and what work for the subjects you’re taking.

Secondly, start revision right away! I’m not talking about hours each evening and having no weekend, but say if you have a free evening with no homework, or you have time on the weekends etc, start making revision resources. For me at the beginning of year 11 that was making flashcards for Sciences, rewriting my notes neatly and ordered in categories for some of the English poems and texts in the anthology we’d done, and writing french speaking paragraphs on flashcards. Little and often is much more effective and manageable than all day on a Sunday afternoon for example.

So many people start their revision too late, and waste time doing unnecessary things. Revision shouldn’t be rewriting your textbook in colourful pens, or highlighting things you’ve printed online. It needs to be active. Eg you read your mindmap aloud, then turn it over and write on a scrap bit of paper everything you remember, and then fill in the blanks you didn’t know. Also past papers and practice questions are so important, especially in the sciences. Get questions from your revision guide or online.

Hope this helped, if you want subject specific advice feel free to tag me again! For chemistry I’d recommend the channel Elliot Rintoul on you tube, and chemrevise.com has useful worksheets. PhysicsandMaths tutor has past papers for many exam boards and subjects, I’m sure you’ll find your spec there. Good luck, and work hard, but don’t overwork yourself. Working smarter us the key, not harder.
hehe_x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got 9s in all but 2 subjects. I would say consistency is the most important thing to get these grades. Make each day count, like spend at least one or two hours daily making notes, going over them and just understanding. Start from day one of year 10. This is where a lot of my peers messed up, I would see them leave everything till last minute. What really helped me was to look at the syllabus and turn each point into an exam question.

Also, start doing past papers in year 10 itself, like obviously you can't do an entire paper but you can get past paper questions sorted topic wise on some websites as you cover them. Don't think you have to save past papers for year 11 - the earlier you can start understanding the mark scheme the better score you'll get.

And finally, any revision method will work as long as you are consistent with it. Just keep going and don't lose focus. Good luck!
_Mia101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by epicnm)
Going into Year 11 next year. How did the year 11s revise for these 2019 exams and what results did you get?Also do you have any advice for attaining a 7+, (hopefully 8s)
Thanks!
I'm going into year 11 too. But I've done maths and got a 9 ,
For maths at least do as many past papers as possible.

My teacher gave me 2 huge folders of all the maths past papers since 2011 and lo and behold in our papers there were some questions repeated almost verbatim.

Also, after you've done paper 1/2 depending on your exam board, see if your teacher has predictions. Ours did after paper 1(I do IGCSE Edexcel Maths) and he was 100% correct on the topics that cam out for paper 2.

Hope this helps!
epicnm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Hi there, I’m going into year 13 so I’m a year older than your « target market » I suppose but I got all 8/9/A* at GCSE.

My biggest advice is to spend the first few weeks of year 11 thinking about how to revise for each subject. You’d have had some experience revising for year 10 internal exams. Think and reflect on what revision you did, and was it effective? Eg you might like mindmaps for history, flashcards for sciences, using Quizlet or Memrise for language vocab, posters for geography, notes in a folder for English etc. Try and think of what methods you find effective, and what work for the subjects you’re taking.

Secondly, start revision right away! I’m not talking about hours each evening and having no weekend, but say if you have a free evening with no homework, or you have time on the weekends etc, start making revision resources. For me at the beginning of year 11 that was making flashcards for Sciences, rewriting my notes neatly and ordered in categories for some of the English poems and texts in the anthology we’d done, and writing french speaking paragraphs on flashcards. Little and often is much more effective and manageable than all day on a Sunday afternoon for example.

So many people start their revision too late, and waste time doing unnecessary things. Revision shouldn’t be rewriting your textbook in colourful pens, or highlighting things you’ve printed online. It needs to be active. Eg you read your mindmap aloud, then turn it over and write on a scrap bit of paper everything you remember, and then fill in the blanks you didn’t know. Also past papers and practice questions are so important, especially in the sciences. Get questions from your revision guide or online.

Hope this helped, if you want subject specific advice feel free to tag me again! For chemistry I’d recommend the channel Elliot Rintoul on you tube, and chemrevise.com has useful worksheets. PhysicsandMaths tutor has past papers for many exam boards and subjects, I’m sure you’ll find your spec there. Good luck, and work hard, but don’t overwork yourself. Working smarter us the key, not harder.
Hi Deggs_14Thanks for this, it really helped. For French GCSE, how did you revise it? I know you mentioned writing speaking phrases on flash cards.
epicnm
Rep:
?
(Original post by hehe_x)
I got 9s in all but 2 subjects. I would say consistency is the most important thing to get these grades. Make each day count, like spend at least one or two hours daily making notes, going over them and just understanding. Start from day one of year 10. This is where a lot of my peers messed up, I would see them leave everything till last minute. What really helped me was to look at the syllabus and turn each point into an exam question.

Also, start doing past papers in year 10 itself, like obviously you can't do an entire paper but you can get past paper questions sorted topic wise on some websites as you cover them. Don't think you have to save past papers for year 11 - the earlier you can start understanding the mark scheme the better score you'll get.

And finally, any revision method will work as long as you are consistent with it. Just keep going and don't lose focus. Good luck!
Hi hehe_x, thanks for this! I will be going into Year 11 next year. I know I should be doing past papers now, but I’m obviously worried about there only being 3 sets of past papers for the new GCSEs, hence why currently I’ve just been using the old spec past papers and some uploaded on tes
TheCrypticOne
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by deggs_14)
so many people start their revision too late, and waste time doing unnecessary things. Revision shouldn’t be rewriting your textbook in colourful pens, or highlighting things you’ve printed online.
p r e a c h
epicnm
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Mia101)
I'm going into year 11 too. But I've done maths and got a 9 ,
For maths at least do as many past papers as possible.

My teacher gave me 2 huge folders of all the maths past papers since 2011 and lo and behold in our papers there were some questions repeated almost verbatim.

Also, after you've done paper 1/2 depending on your exam board, see if your teacher has predictions. Ours did after paper 1(I do IGCSE Edexcel Maths) and he was 100% correct on the topics that cam out for paper 2.

Hope this helps!
Hi_Mia101 thanks! I’ve been using past papers for maths and also found in the mocks that some of the questions were very similar. The only problem with maths is although I understand it and can answer a question which directly says e.g Factorise 2x-5x+3, I struggle with “wordy” questions where they hide what they want you to do. I also struggle with remembering some things, but I’ve just been printing as many topic tests as I can off maths genie so far and that got me a low 8.
trajeudies
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i think it rly depends on the kind of leaner you are . you know whether you learn best from consistent revision or from cramming the night before . for example , personally , i did all of my revision the night before and it worked out , especially since i can remember things quite easily , so the revision was merely quickly reviewing things i couldnt remember as well , and this worked out for me since i got 8s/9s . if youre similar , i do recommend not stressing out that much throughout the year . also ! going through the syllabus is perhaps the most useful thing you can do bc if you are able to recall facts for every single bullet point on the syllabus youll do finw !!
hehe_x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi hehe_x, thanks for this! I will be going into Year 11 next year. I know I should be doing past papers now, but I’m obviously worried about there only being 3 sets of past papers for the new GCSEs, hence why currently I’ve just been using the old spec past papers and some uploaded on tes
While in the exam I realised some questions were similar to the ones I had encountered in the old spec past papers so don’t worry about only having 3 sets of new spec papers. Any gcse exam questions will help
kkai
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's never too late to revise but start early and make sure to take your mocks seriously.
_Mia101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi_Mia101 thanks! I’ve been using past papers for maths and also found in the mocks that some of the questions were very similar. The only problem with maths is although I understand it and can answer a question which directly says e.g Factorise 2x-5x+3, I struggle with “wordy” questions where they hide what they want you to do. I also struggle with remembering some things, but I’ve just been printing as many topic tests as I can off maths genie so far and that got me a low 8.
For the wordy questions, I'd say that if you get stuck on it check the mark scheme, look at the first step and try again, at least for now. You have about 9 months to improve and all it takes is to know what words are triggers for particular topics.

For example, whenever you see the words maximum/minimum in a maths question you should think about differentiation and bounds (especially differentiation, I forgot about that and lost 5 marks on a relatively easy question).
emilyfields101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks!
I just did my GCSE’s this year and got all 8/9’s. My advice for History is start your revision early! I made timelines and notes which were useful but the best revision for history is past papers and lots of them! Get your teachers to mark them and a few weeks before your exam try and do a past paper a day. For French your oral is essential because if you learn this well then your writing will improve so much! Also, if you are weaker at listening or reading then having a high speaking mark can really boost your grade.
But make sure you have down time as well and time for yourself as these exams are hard! Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
9%
Disagree (5)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (31)
31%
Agree (40)
40%
Strongly Agree (15)
15%

Watched Threads