Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Let me first state that I do understand the following:

- I might not even get an offer from the college that I initially apply to
- Oxford is known to be an un-diverse university
- Might be likely that all colleges have similar demographics
- Demographics change every 3 years

Now I'm asking this question because of things I've heard from friends and on the internet that some ethnic minorities 'feel like outsiders'. I don't have the opportunity to visit different colleges during an open day as I do not live in the UK. So I ask you guys on the student room if there are any stats on the diversity in Oxford colleges, and if there are please link them below. Thanks
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Beamomom)

Now I'm asking this question because of things I've heard from friends and on the internet that some ethnic minorities 'feel like outsiders'. I don't have the opportunity to visit different colleges during an open day as I do not live in the UK. So I ask you guys on the student room if there are any stats on the diversity in Oxford colleges, and if there are please link them below. Thanks
Oxford, like all elite univerities is undiverse in the extreme. It purposely only takes in students of high academic ability and potential. You will not find a stupid person anywhere. I don't see how anyone keen on inclusivity can bring themselves to go there. It is most unwoke.
nells45581
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good one Good bloke, very funny. Seriously though OP you have nothing to worry about. If you look at page 27 of this: https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...ort%202019.pdf you'll see that 81.7% of the freshers at Oxford this year will be white, and 18.3% non-white. In the UK as a whole, 87% of people are white, and 13% non-white. So non-white people are proportionally over-represented at Oxford! I would suspect that the people who've said they "feel like outsiders" probably come from areas with a high non-white population, which means that it will be a bit of a culture shock settling down in a uni with 82% white students. But you definitely won't be the only black face in the lecture. Good luck with the application <3
Beamomom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by nells45581)
Good one Good bloke, very funny. Seriously though OP you have nothing to worry about. If you look at page 27 of this: https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...ort%202019.pdf you'll see that 81.7% of the freshers at Oxford this year will be white, and 18.3% non-white. In the UK as a whole, 87% of people are white, and 13% non-white. So non-white people are proportionally over-represented at Oxford! I would suspect that the people who've said they "feel like outsiders" probably come from areas with a high non-white population, which means that it will be a bit of a culture shock settling down in a uni with 82% white students. But you definitely won't be the only black face in the lecture. Good luck with the application <3
This has given me some solid reassurance, I appreciate this a lot. Thank you
nells45581
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No prob!
OxFossil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've long assumed that Oxford city (as opposed to the University) is very White. Checking on the Council stats, it seems I'm wrong. 22% of secondary school students in Oxfordshire are recorded as BME, which is comparable to many medium sized cities outside London. Bristol is also 22% BME, Cardiff 16%, Leeds 21%
You might appreciate Miss Varz' take https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7825sbb907I&t=113s
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Plus this Miss Varz and Josh Tulloch youtube vid to reassure you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfll...M7wbzJ&index=2
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

This page might help: https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and...hnicity?wssl=1

The ethnicity of the UK varies enormously depending on the region.
anonymousKGE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
can you not reply to ethnic minorities as BAME because its 1. not an accurate representation of the non white groups there- as you there may be 22% ethnic minorities but 18% of them for example are South Asian. 2. because a lot of people from ethnic minority groups dont like to be group together and is quite offensive sometimes.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymousKGE)
can you not reply to ethnic minorities as BAME because its 1. not an accurate representation of the non white groups there- as you there may be 22% ethnic minorities but 18% of them for example are South Asian. 2. because a lot of people from ethnic minority groups dont like to be group together and is quite offensive sometimes.
This thread is two years old. Please don't bump old threads.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.82%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.26%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.26%
I need help with my personal statement (64)
42.11%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.97%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed