Got no idea what course I want to do at uni

Watch
hmimlost
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm in my last year of college doing a-levels biology, chemistry and geography. I'm predicted to get As and I did well in my end of first year mocks.

I thought I wanted to do Veterinary Science/Medicine and had even chosen the unis I would apply to but I've second guessed myself so much this past year that I don't think I should do it because I would end up dropping it.

So this leaves me where I am now. I haven't even thought about what other courses I might enjoy or would lead me to a career I would like. I'm lost.

I'm not very good with medical things as even them being talked about can result in me fainting (go figure). That sort of rules medicine out of the question.

My problem now is that I've not really had the chance to look at other courses and haven't completed any work experience that would apply to anything except animals.

Anyone been in a similar situation or got any advice?
shahdhaytham
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
Your only problem is you dont know what to do in the future which is a situation many people are in. Your grades seem amazing, even your work experience, you can flip it around and say the skills that you've made or developed and that it has helped you eliminate a career which would've been a huge mistake if you studied the wrong thing for you; something which you dont enjoy. You've still got time to do relevant work experience even in this last week or in the half term during holidays. You could even ask your school to give you time to do work experience. You could go after school right? That's not the problem I think. You just need to find it what you live doing and chase it! Try to think of what you enjoy and search the careers out there that relate to it.
I dont k ow much about animals but if you like working with them then look for other jobs it doesn't have to be a vet. If you like chemistry or geography then there are literally 1000s of jobs related to them. Sorry to be of no help but try to think of what YOU enjoy and try to put your whole effort into achieving it!!
Last edited by shahdhaytham; 1 year ago
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hmimlost)
I'm in my last year of college doing a-levels biology, chemistry and geography. I'm predicted to get As and I did well in my end of first year mocks.

I thought I wanted to do Veterinary Science/Medicine and had even chosen the unis I would apply to but I've second guessed myself so much this past year that I don't think I should do it because I would end up dropping it.

So this leaves me where I am now. I haven't even thought about what other courses I might enjoy or would lead me to a career I would like. I'm lost.

I'm not very good with medical things as even them being talked about can result in me fainting (go figure). That sort of rules medicine out of the question.

My problem now is that I've not really had the chance to look at other courses and haven't completed any work experience that would apply to anything except animals.

Anyone been in a similar situation or got any advice?
Something I did when choosing my uni course was to go onto different university websites and look through their course lists to see which subject areas appealed to me, then check my subjects against their requirements. Once I'd narrowed down the subject(s) I was interested in, I then focused on the individual courses on offer to choose the ones I liked the look of most. Another thing to do is to think about what you enjoy learning about (for example, your favourite A Level modules), and check out courses which include those topics. As the above poster said, if you like animals, there are many jobs available besides veterinary roles, e.g. in conservation, zookeeping, animal biology or charity work.

If in a few months you're still unsure about the course you wish to study, it's worth considering taking a gap year to get some further experience etc
shahdhaytham
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
Your only problem is you dont know what to do which is a situation many people are in. Your grades seem amazing, even your work experience tiy can flip it around and say the skills that you've made or developed and that it has helped you eliminate a career which would've been a huge mistake if you studied the wrong thing for you; something which you dont enjoy. You've still got time to do relevant work experience even in this last week or in the half term during holidays. You could even ask your school to give you time to do work experience. You could go after school right? That's not the problem I think. You just need to find it what you live doing and chase it! Try to think of what you enjoy and search the careers out there that relate to it.
I dont k ow much about animals but if you like working with them then look for other jobs it doesn't have to be a vet. If you like chemistry or geography then there are literally 1000s of jobs related to them. Sorry to be of no help but try to think of what YOU enjoy and try to put your whole effort into achieving it!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (137)
14.41%
I'm not sure (42)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (286)
30.07%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (462)
48.58%

Watched Threads