Cats007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi
I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I wondered if anyone could offer some advice. I'm starting a schools direct pgce this September, but haven't received a timetable or start date from my school yet, so am starting to worry. When do most people find out their start dates? I'm assuming I'll get an email at the start of term but want to put my mind at ease. I'm alas assuming the first day of term is a staff development day and that'll be the day all admin is done, but there's no information on the schools website so I don't know for sure it is a development day.
Trying to stop my mind over thinking and reassure myself the school know what they are doing.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cats007)
Hi
I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I wondered if anyone could offer some advice. I'm starting a schools direct pgce this September, but haven't received a timetable or start date from my school yet, so am starting to worry. When do most people find out their start dates? I'm assuming I'll get an email at the start of term but want to put my mind at ease. I'm alas assuming the first day of term is a staff development day and that'll be the day all admin is done, but there's no information on the schools website so I don't know for sure it is a development day.
Trying to stop my mind over thinking and reassure myself the school know what they are doing.
Might be worth sending the school an email?
Chances are there may be an administrator in who might be able to advise?

I've moved your thread to the right forum now. :yy:
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi
Hey!

When you say a timetable, do you mean in terms of what you'll be teaching, or from school/uni showing when you'll be in school/on placement etc?

I would have expected you to received this and some info about your start date by now! Have you checked your junk email as well?

I would email the school, but be aware you may not get a reply right away. I'd maybe also email the teaching school alliance that the school is in, and if your PGCE is ultimately being awarded by a uni, email them too!

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out and good luck!
Cats007
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hey!

When you say a timetable, do you mean in terms of what you'll be teaching, or from school/uni showing when you'll be in school/on placement etc?

I would have expected you to received this and some info about your start date by now! Have you checked your junk email as well?

I would email the school, but be aware you may not get a reply right away. I'd maybe also email the teaching school alliance that the school is in, and if your PGCE is ultimately being awarded by a uni, email them too!

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out and good luck!
Hi.
Yes in terms of teaching or what I'll actually be doing, just any sort of information really. The accrediting uni are fantastic, and I've already got my timetable and all info from them, its just the school.
I ended up emailing the course leader at school asking for a start date, and they said I start on the 2nd. I have no idea what time they want me to be in, as I didn't get any further information from the email. I am planning to just go in for 8 and go from there. I don't think the leadership team at the school realise how stressful it is for a student not knowing basic information like even a start date.
Thanks for the reply. (Sorry for the rant! Lol)
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi.
Yes in terms of teaching or what I'll actually be doing, just any sort of information really. The accrediting uni are fantastic, and I've already got my timetable and all info from them, its just the school.
I ended up emailing the course leader at school asking for a start date, and they said I start on the 2nd. I have no idea what time they want me to be in, as I didn't get any further information from the email. I am planning to just go in for 8 and go from there. I don't think the leadership team at the school realise how stressful it is for a student not knowing basic information like even a start date.
Thanks for the reply. (Sorry for the rant! Lol)
If you have your timetable for when you're in school/uni etc, then that's all you can expect at this stage. Often, your mentor will want to talk to you a bit, before finalising a timetable for you and they may want to meet with their own classes and talk to their colleagues before deciding which classes you should initially take on. For example, a class could sound like they'd be fine on paper, but when the teacher actually takes them on, there could be a personality clash or a range of SEN needs which means the class would be inappropriate for a beginning student teacher. It would be really unusual for you to have more information than that at this stage.

I'd also email the school back to confirm a good arrival time. If everyone's going to be in meetings from 8-9, there's no point turning up to have to wait around for an hour!

I know it's really stressful to be in this situation! However, you have to remember that as a student teacher, you're not the school's first priority (this can be pretty hard to get used to). This time of year is very busy for schools/teachers and their first priority will be sorting out their own students and staff. Obviously it's important you know the start date, but you have to be willing to chase/seek out the information that you need.

Initially, I'd guess you have a couple of weeks in school and then you go into uni? If this is the case, it's unlikely you'll be expected to teach much until after you've been into uni. You'll initially be observing classes, maybe acting as a TA, getting to know how the school works and so on. There may be joint sessions with others in your teaching alliance. And even when you do start teaching, you'll be given lots of support with what to plan and how to teach it.

I do understand it's stressful to be in this situation, but as a student teacher, two key things are:

-Ask/tell people what you need.
-Be prepared to go with the flow a bit sometimes!
Cats007
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
If you have your timetable for when you're in school/uni etc, then that's all you can expect at this stage. Often, your mentor will want to talk to you a bit, before finalising a timetable for you and they may want to meet with their own classes and talk to their colleagues before deciding which classes you should initially take on. For example, a class could sound like they'd be fine on paper, but when the teacher actually takes them on, there could be a personality clash or a range of SEN needs which means the class would be inappropriate for a beginning student teacher. It would be really unusual for you to have more information than that at this stage.

I'd also email the school back to confirm a good arrival time. If everyone's going to be in meetings from 8-9, there's no point turning up to have to wait around for an hour!

I know it's really stressful to be in this situation! However, you have to remember that as a student teacher, you're not the school's first priority (this can be pretty hard to get used to). This time of year is very busy for schools/teachers and their first priority will be sorting out their own students and staff. Obviously it's important you know the start date, but you have to be willing to chase/seek out the information that you need.

Initially, I'd guess you have a couple of weeks in school and then you go into uni? If this is the case, it's unlikely you'll be expected to teach much until after you've been into uni. You'll initially be observing classes, maybe acting as a TA, getting to know how the school works and so on. There may be joint sessions with others in your teaching alliance. And even when you do start teaching, you'll be given lots of support with what to plan and how to teach it.

I do understand it's stressful to be in this situation, but as a student teacher, two key things are:

-Ask/tell people what you need.
-Be prepared to go with the flow a bit sometimes!
Thank you for your reply. This all makes a lot of sense and explains why I haven't been given any information. I'm just going to turn up Monday morning and go with the flow. Thanks again! :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)