The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Which college is the most convenient located for Physics students?

I'm applying for Durham in 2020 and I'm trying to decide which college to pick. I've read that certain colleges are a pain to get to and some are not so popular because of their reputations. Any college recommendations for a future Physics student?
Reply 1
Van Mildert and Grey colleges are the nearest to the Science site - Grey - 5 min walk, VM - 10 min up hill walk. Both are equally good, and I think most people would be happy there!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by WLY00
Van Mildert and Grey colleges are the nearest to the Science site - Grey - 5 min walk, VM - 10 min up hill walk. Both are equally good, and I think most people would be happy there!

Where is the science site? Are the lectures and everything always held in the same buildings? Thanks for replying btw!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Where is the science site? Are the lectures and everything always held in the same buildings? Thanks for replying btw!

The Science site is approx a 10 min walk from Durham city centre, and the colleges I mentioned would be a 5-10 min walk in the other direction.
Yes, most of your day would be spent on the science site, in labs and lectures. It would be very rare that you would have a class elsewhere.
Best to visit and take a look, if you can :-)
Reply 4
Original post by WLY00
The Science site is approx a 10 min walk from Durham city centre, and the colleges I mentioned would be a 5-10 min walk in the other direction.
Yes, most of your day would be spent on the science site, in labs and lectures. It would be very rare that you would have a class elsewhere.
Best to visit and take a look, if you can :-)

Oh okay
One last thing, is St Mary's considered close as well? Someone in another thread briefly mentioned it but didn't go into much detail about it.
Reply 5
Yes, Mary's is the closest - just across the road from the science site. In my opinion there is not so much 'atmosphere ' at Mary's. ....good if you want quiet study, but not as good as Van Mildert or Grey for life outside lectures. I don't want to influence you too much - it has to be your choice, and what is right for you. :-)
Reply 6
Original post by WLY00
Yes, Mary's is the closest - just across the road from the science site. In my opinion there is not so much 'atmosphere ' at Mary's. ....good if you want quiet study, but not as good as Van Mildert or Grey for life outside lectures. I don't want to influence you too much - it has to be your choice, and what is right for you. :-)

Okay, thank you (:
I'll take a look around on one of their open days.
Reply 7
Good plan!☺

Quick Reply

Latest