Mollyyyyh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Would love to become a vet or do veterinary pathology but I know that it is super competitive and a lot of hard work. Is it possible to get in without the full GCSE requirements e.g instead of 5 As you’ve only got 3 but you’ve got all the a level requirements and have passed all GCSEs. Are there also any other things that could give you a better chance?
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mollyyyyh)
Would love to become a vet or do veterinary pathology but I know that it is super competitive and a lot of hard work. Is it possible to get in without the full GCSE requirements e.g instead of 5 As you’ve only got 3 but you’ve got all the a level requirements and have passed all GCSEs. Are there also any other things that could give you a better chance?
I only had 4As and they weren't including maths, english language or chemistry- 3rd year now, it is doable
Orla_C1998
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you have good AS results they will over look the GCSE’s, I know that’s what it says for medicine in so I’m sure something similar applies for veterinary
Skyward_Bound
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At my GCSEs I got 3A*, 4A, and 2B and have a place for vet med so you don't need all As, though definitely check on each uni's website because certain GCSE grades are a requirement. Same goes for A Levels that, though it would be easier with 3As, Nottingham's standard offer is AAB and people have gotten into vet med with lower grades than that.

To stand a better chance get as much work experience as you can in as many different areas as you can (so for example try and go to small animal, large animal, and exotics veterinary practices). Make sure you do plenty of interview practice too (even if it is a bit early!) as it's a crucial part of the application process.

Good luck if you do decide to apply!
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As far as I am aware you really only need to fulfil the universities GCSE requirements for vet med, you don't really need more than that. However if you don't meet their requirements e.g. they say A in chemistry GCSE and you have a B, it will be instant rejection. The correct A level grades/predicted grades are critical to get an interview although once you have an offer they do sometimes accept a near miss depending on interview score.

(Original post by Mollyyyyh)
username2703735
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by animalmagic)
As far as I am aware you really only need to fulfil the universities GCSE requirements for vet med, you don't really need more than that. However if you don't meet their requirements e.g. they say A in chemistry GCSE and you have a B, it will be instant rejection. The correct A level grades/predicted grades are critical to get an interview although once you have an offer they do sometimes accept a near miss depending on interview score.
I don't know if this is always the case, I and several friends did not meet the GCSE requirements and still gained multiple offers
It is advisable to be competitive but I would still chance applying if you're close
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VMD100)
I don't know if this is always the case, I and several friends did not meet the GCSE requirements and still gained multiple offers
It is advisable to be competitive but I would still chance applying if you're close
That’s really good to know! I had been told they use it as the first stage of whittling down the numbers.
username2703735
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s really good to know! I had been told they use it as the first stage of whittling down the numbers.
I would say Surrey does - the day after I applied it was an instant rejection, but Liverpool, Nottingham and RVC invited me to interview and received offers afterwards.
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VMD100)
I would say Surrey does - the day after I applied it was an instant rejection, but Liverpool, Nottingham and RVC invited me to interview and received offers afterwards.
I really think this depends on the year. I know Notts and Liverpool were initially quite strict on grade requirements this year, there were people one GCSE grade off who were rejected pre interview.

A lot of the time it seems they are more or less selective depending on how many applicants and the quality of the pool, so I guess OP just has to hope that this year is not that competitive. I would say it could actually have lower applicant numbers per uni due to the double intake at notts and the new vet school (effectively there's 10 standard courses to apply to instead of 8).
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nottingham did say at the open day this year that they ignored A level predictions entirely and used GCSEs as a more accurate indicator. Others have different approaches - that is why it makes sense to apply to a variety of vet schools (in terms of how they choose to interview/offer)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.33%
I'm not sure (8)
2.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.33%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.33%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed