The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Where to live?

I'm applying for graduate entry medicine at the university of Newcastle. But I'm wondering about where to live. I dont want to live in halls as I'll be older than everyone else living there, but I'm unsure about private renting. Anyone been through this?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by 117361884374
I'm applying for graduate entry medicine at the university of Newcastle. But I'm wondering about where to live. I dont want to live in halls as I'll be older than everyone else living there, but I'm unsure about private renting. Anyone been through this?

Hi there,

I was a student at Newcastle Uni for my undergrad and took several classes in the med school building while living near the quayside. My first year I lived in Uni halls which were very loud and low quality compared to the private housing I moved to the following 2 years--it significantly improved my time in university.

I planned to return for my MSc this autumn, but had to withdraw from my program this week as my mother unexpectedly becoming very ill.

As I was prepared to be moving back to NCL this semester, I have a 51-week lease on a furnished/bills-included student studio at The Shield, Fresh Student Living near the Quayside area that I am looking to transfer to another student at a discounted rate (2 months paid). Since I booked early, the studio also has some additional grocery/laundry vouchers (totaling about 412 GBP).

The studio is on the first floor up, furnished with a small double bed, ensuite shower room, wifi, kitchen (with full oven, microwave, sink, and small fridge/freezer and hob), and television set. All bills are included in rent and there is laundry and common areas onsite. Dual occupancy is also free in the rent. To see a 360 view of the common areas/reception and a sample studio here is the link: https://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/the-shield/gallery/ . Since I lived in ncl previously, I know The Shield is in a good location, well liked, new, and with 24/7 support/security on site.

The contract is from 14/09/2019-05/09/2020 and is 142 GBP/week (total of 7242 GBP with a 100 GBP refundable deposit). I am offering to transfer the lease at a discounted rate, with 2 months of rent (1136 GBP) paid, making the total price 6106 GBP or about 120 GBP/week for the new tenant. Since I booked early as a first time tenant, the company will provide 13 weeks of 27 GBP grocery vouchers and 4.70 GBP laundry vouchers for the first term (total value of 412.1 GBP), that I am also offering to transfer.

I am very eager to transfer my studio. If you or somebody you know might be interested, I'd be very grateful if you contacted me directly and I could provide any additional info you might need. Thank you.

Newcastle 1 has a few rooms available https://www.studentroost.co.uk/accommodation/newcastle/newcastle-1 we try to put similar students together and it’ll be hassle free.
Hi there

I’m an international student and use to study in Newcastle as well and I got the fixed terms of tenancy for one entire year (17/09/2019-16/9/2020) unfortunately due to some sudden changes i won’t study in Newcastle and I really need someone to replace my accommodation place. It’s a share house with one double bedroom available. And currently there is two tenant with one is postgraduate student like you and other is undergraduate student (in total there will be only three tenant) and don’t worry they are super nice and friendly.

The house is just located next to china town and is right in the city center, so it is super convenient to go anywhere in Newcastle.

11 mins walk to Newcastle University / 8 mins walk to INTO Newcastle University / 5 mins walk to Newcastle Business school/ 12 mins walk to medical school

The facilities included in this house are: 1 living room, 1 kitchen, 3 bedroom (1 en-suite, 1 share-bathroom), washing machine, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, oven.
All 3 bedrooms are doubles and fitted with flat-screen tv.

For the payment, as i have already paid for the deposit so you will just have to pay GBP 6012.86 (not include bills) directly to the landlord. And afterwards when the landlord return the deposit, you can have it all if you rent the room, it is treated as a special offer and my thankfulness.

please share this to your friends and people around as it is really urgent, thank you. please contact me soon and if you have any question please contact me. thx

Hello Newcastle University wherever possible, place mature undergraduate students with postgraduate students.
You may find some of the information about private accommodation helpful here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/private/

You could speak to current postgraduate students online at: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/ug2019/unibuddy/
Please toggle the search filters to 'postgraduate' level.

With best wishes, Ashleigh :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Hello! I am starting my MSc in Clinical Psych at Newcastle this September and have just moved from Canada. Found a super nice place in the Staiths Southbank Development in Gateshead- super nice walk along the river to the centre (takes me about 35 minute walk to the uni- but I have a bicycle now so even less!). Love the area so much, has such a great community vibe and lots of professionals and people of all ages here! My fiance and I went through a letting agent (Sarah Mains) but we spent about 2 weeks with various agents looking everyday. Some agencies were really bad (like SO bad), but we found Sarah Mains super professional and easy to deal with. Process was easy and we just message the agency if we have any issues. Also have the landlords number too so can contact him directly. We were also unsure about where to live but after looking at accomodation in Heaton, Gosforth and Jesmond we felt this area was more suited to us! Good luck with the search :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending