inattentional
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I always wanted to go to Oxbridge but never saw this as an option due to my grades.

I found out about the LMH Oxford foundation year after I had begun my first year of uni, so left it, but I still really want to go.

Im confident I would meet the socio-economic requirements and I got high enough grades for it, but im not sure it’s worth leaving my current degree. I know there’s no guarentee of getting onto the course even if I qualify for it, and at my current uni im attaining a first.

Should I take a gap year/leave my uni to try and apply for the foundation year or just stick with the uni im at?
Admit-One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inattentional)
I always wanted to go to Oxbridge but never saw this as an option due to my grades.

I found out about the LMH Oxford foundation year after I had begun my first year of uni, so left it, but I still really want to go.

Im confident I would meet the socio-economic requirements and I got high enough grades for it, but im not sure it’s worth leaving my current degree. I know there’s no guarentee of getting onto the course even if I qualify for it, and at my current uni im attaining a first.

Should I take a gap year/leave my uni to try and apply for the foundation year or just stick with the uni im at?
They may not accept applicants who have already begun undergraduate study elsewhere, so I'd probably check that with them first before considering this any further.
inattentional
Rep:
?
Ive rang them up and they said they would, but also spoke of home competitive it is with odds being about 25 to 1
Admit-One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ive rang them up and they said they would, but also spoke of home competitive it is with odds being about 25 to 1
Well that's some good news at least. I presume that they receive applications for the FY through UCAS? If so, you don't need to withdraw from your current studies to apply. Although you might feel uncomfortable requesting a reference from a current tutor.
inattentional
Rep:
?
It might be awkward but I would take the chance. The thing is the FY is full this year so I would need to apply in November for 2020 entry.
I dont see the point in doing this if I’ve already finished 2 years of undergraduate study which I will have at that point. So the question is whether to pause my studies for the chance or if thats not worth it
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where do you study now? If it's a decent uni then it probably isn't worth giving up your place for one that is competitive and not guaranteed.
inattentional
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Where do you study now? If it's a decent uni then it probably isn't worth giving up your place for one that is competitive and not guaranteed.
Im at Northumbria, so it isnt a bad uni but not a stand out one either
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im at Northumbria, so it isnt a bad uni but not a stand out one either
Honestly I'd stick with what you're already doing then, it's really competitive and it's a waste of your previous years if you don't get in.

Not to mention that it may cause problems with student finance either. You might have to self-fund a year.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Which degree? For the majority of subjects the first is more important than Oxford.
inattentional
Rep:
?
The FY is free at Oxford and they cover accommodation, so in terms of paying for the degree I would be okay, but I see your point that it’s a waste if I dont get it

Thank you
inattentional
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Which degree? For the majority of subjects the first is more important than Oxford.
It’s for law for University reputation can have a big impact
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s for law for University reputation can have a big impact
Yes but so can a first and good work experience. I don't think it's worth re-starting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.65%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.39%
Not great so far... (212)
35.63%
I want to drop out! (115)
19.33%

Watched Threads