I’m at the age where I start to hate my family. Watch

Ilikecheese#2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m 16 and at the age where I start to hate my family. I feel like they don’t understand me at all! They never know how I actually feel and end up telling me off for things I do because of my mood and stress.
My parents are starting to favour my elder sister and telling me to “follow her footsteps and snap out of this bad behaviour”, which isn’t very fair because she is always extremely rude to me.
Example (don’t judge this): I’m a little (ok maybe a lot) afraid of heights. She and my father (who I hate the extreme most) went up to the top of a cliff. They called me up to go there too but I didn’t want to. My mother told me to go there too so I had no choice. When we came down after a while (mom took fifteen million pictures) I was afraid I would stumble and fall. I screamed when I almost slipped but steadied myself just in time. They didn’t even care! My sister said, “scaredy cat!” And laughed. So I ran down the cliff ahead of them and ended up scratching my leg on a twig. But I didn’t care as long as I was away from them.

Is this normal? Does this kind of thing happen to anyone else? Is anyone else at the age where they start to hate their family?
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So you’re saying you automatically hate your family at age 16?
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ilikecheese#2)
I’m 16 and at the age where I start to hate my family. I feel like they don’t understand me at all! They never know how I actually feel and end up telling me off for things I do because of my mood and stress.
My parents are starting to favour my elder sister and telling me to “follow her footsteps and snap out of this bad behaviour”, which isn’t very fair because she is always extremely rude to me.
Example (don’t judge this): I’m a little (ok maybe a lot) afraid of heights. She and my father (who I hate the extreme most) went up to the top of a cliff. They called me up to go there too but I didn’t want to. My mother told me to go there too so I had no choice. When we came down after a while (mom took fifteen million pictures) I was afraid I would stumble and fall. I screamed when I almost slipped but steadied myself just in time. They didn’t even care! My sister said, “scaredy cat!” And laughed. So I ran down the cliff ahead of them and ended up scratching my leg on a twig. But I didn’t care as long as I was away from them.

Is this normal? Does this kind of thing happen to anyone else? Is anyone else at the age where they start to hate their family?
Both me and my younger sister went through a period like this around 15-16. I didn't hate them per se but at the time I thought they were annoying and trying to wind me up. Looking back on it I was just being moody and difficult. They're not purposefully trying to upset you, they might be doing things that are a little annoying (like poking fun at you being scared) but you're most likely taking it worse and holding onto it for longer because of your mood/stress as you mentioned. It's something you'll grow out of in time
Duane2501
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I bet your dad would be devastated to know that his little girl 'hates' him the extreme most, I know I would be! Have you tried sitting them down and talking to them individually 1 on 1? I would literally be devastated, and would rather know if I was making my daughter feel bad.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ilikecheese#2)

Yeah, it's common to not get on with your family when you are a teenager. And yes, you are entitled to feel stressed or have mood swings but those are not excuses to be rude to people. Remember - people can't read your mind and might not understand why you are acting a certain; the way to overcome this is to talk to them and not to "hate" them.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"Hate" is a very strong word. It's natural to have some animosity towards your family when you're a teenager but most people do seem to grow out of it when they get a little older. It can be tough being a teenager, it feels like everyone is on your case, no one understands you and people are only out there to make your life harder. But things won't be like this forever, atm your hormones are raging, you view your sister as being the competition and your parents experience of being a teenager was very different from yours. Give it a few years and things will be better, maybe you need some space from your family - going to university was the best thing I ever did as it stopped me and my parents being on top of each all of the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (164)
24.59%
Pop (164)
24.59%
Jazz (26)
3.9%
Classical (40)
6%
Hip-Hop (121)
18.14%