No Advanced Learners Loan for Access to HE Humanities? Watch

nc127
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello TSR. To get straight to the point, it's as the title says.

I tried to enrol for an Access to HE Social Sciences & Humanities course, since I'm interested in moving onto a linguistics and modern language course at uni for 2020. Got to the very end of the process only to be told that this specific access course isn't eligible for Advanced Learners Loan. Not that I personally am not eligible, but the humanities course itself.

Everywhere I looked had mentioned the Advanced Learners Loan being an option to pay for this course. Is this a recent change? Have past students who have done humanities been able to pay for their course with this loan?

I've been lurking these forums for a while to help decide on how to get back into education, and I'm pretty set on this path, but I don't exactly have 3k to spend in order to do so.

I realise that there is another post asking for this, but I do not intend on being a distance learner. I'll also be checking with other colleges near me, but I would love if anyone here also had something to say about this. Thank you in advance!
AkEmLu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nc127)
Hello TSR. To get straight to the point, it's as the title says.

I tried to enrol for an Access to HE Social Sciences & Humanities course, since I'm interested in moving onto a linguistics and modern language course at uni for 2020. Got to the very end of the process only to be told that this specific access course isn't eligible for Advanced Learners Loan. Not that I personally am not eligible, but the humanities course itself.

Everywhere I looked had mentioned the Advanced Learners Loan being an option to pay for this course. Is this a recent change? Have past students who have done humanities been able to pay for their course with this loan?

I've been lurking these forums for a while to help decide on how to get back into education, and I'm pretty set on this path, but I don't exactly have 3k to spend in order to do so.

I realise that there is another post asking for this, but I do not intend on being a distance learner. I'll also be checking with other colleges near me, but I would love if anyone here also had something to say about this. Thank you in advance!
I did an Access to HE: Humanities (Law, English Language & Psychology) course at a local community college in 2014-2015. I received the Advanced Learner Loan, which covered the cost of the course. The college also provided me with a term-time travel pass, which was fantastic. My Learner Loan was written off last year after I graduated from my Law undergrad degree.

I've had a quick search on the gov.uk site and I can't see any stipulations about exclusions to the loan, so I'm not sure why you're getting told that your course isn't eligible. Have you spoken to the college about it?
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Might be an issue with that specific college.
Or it could just be you got given the wrong information.

Query it with the college and talk to a different member of staff.
jellybeanmusic
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd applied for a loan for Humanities and Social Science about a month ago and it was approved. Properly enrolled at college for starting in 2 weeks time now. I'd check you have all the right details and double check everything with the college.
nc127
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Okay, at least I know its not a new, nationwide thing. Thank you! I mentioned wanting to use the loan from a month ago so it's pretty annoying. I still need to wait for other colleges to get back to me; it's just a shame that the most convenient one for me is going this way.

(Original post by AkEmLu)
I did an Access to HE: Humanities (Law, English Language & Psychology) course at a local community college in 2014-2015. I received the Advanced Learner Loan, which covered the cost of the course. The college also provided me with a term-time travel pass, which was fantastic. My Learner Loan was written off last year after I graduated from my Law undergrad degree.

I've had a quick search on the gov.uk site and I can't see any stipulations about exclusions to the loan, so I'm not sure why you're getting told that your course isn't eligible. Have you spoken to the college about it?
Thank you for letting me know that! That is essentially how I expected thing to go with my access course.

The man I had spoken to at that college simply told me that he was not able to enrol me with the loan because it's not eligible, and that they had only just found out about it. He couldn't seem to tell me anything else other than give me the option to pay in installments.

I'll have to contact/visit the college again on Monday, since I'm already in their system as a student and whatnot. Best case scenario, they got it wrong. Worst case, I'll have to try and get into another college for the course last minute.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (190)
24.05%
Pop (192)
24.3%
Jazz (30)
3.8%
Classical (46)
5.82%
Hip-Hop (150)
18.99%
Electronic (53)
6.71%
Indie (129)
16.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise