The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
:ditto: to what Sephrenia said

i know me and most of my friends purposely avoid campus open days :^_^:
most people will either have gone home, stayed in bed recovering from a night out before or if it was a hot day sat out in the sun somewhere away from the open day crowds

i don't really see why so many people consider Rahs such a big problem if anything they're very entertaining and you can avoid them if you want

and as for people with apparently more money or in the better accommodation they are not 'cooler' and get the pissed taken out of them a hell of a lot from the majority of the uni and i don't think the word cool is really appropriate as there doesn't seem to be a popularity scale it's not like school :p:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
I don't know, in the XMedia in particular popularity contests are rife :frown:
Reply 22
Angelil
I don't know, in the XMedia in particular popularity contests are rife :frown:

really? yeah actually i think my friend who's XTV mentioned it before, i spose all societies and that have a bit of a popularity thing :sad: but just day to day you don't notice it :^_^: it's never affected me luckily - i would actually have to bother with societies for that to happen
Reply 23
Oh dear God, another 'but there are rahs!' post. I am going to state it one final time. YES THERE ARE RAHS. NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MINGLE WITH THEM IF YOU DON'T WANT TO. YES THERE ARE OTHER DOWN TO EARTH PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

What gets me is that you sounded so unbelievably snobby in your post OP, and yet you're complaining about snobby people. You're just going to have to face the fact that at most of the top unis there will be a high 'Sloane' population, simply because Mummy and Daddy can afford to send them to schools where they are trained especially to get into Oxbridge/the Russell Group etc. And as you'll find when you start, at university, NO ONE CARES WHAT SCHOOL YOU WENT TO. You'll get the question over and over in freshers week, but beyond that it's utterly irrelevant. I have friends here who are complete rahs. Likewise I have friends who are lovely and down to earth. It really isn't an issue, so get over it.
Reply 24
Ooh, and another point:

Yes you'll probably have noticed a lot of rahs on the open day - it's because they tend to live in the halls closest to campus (Holland, Mardon, Birks etc). On open days, if you can avoid going on to campus, you do, so all the 'normal' people would be at home, in town etc.
Reply 25
serrellen
I visited Exeter Open Day yesterday and while I liked the campus and the town seemed ok, what really put me off was quite how well-heeled and preppy everyone seemed to be. The girls all wore Jack Wills and Ugg boots, the guys were floppy haired and called things like Hugh - and it wasn't just the visitors, but the actual students that were all like this too.

While I do go to a private school, it's really not my scene and I don't think I'd fit in there too well. Exeter wouldn't be a first or even second choice anyway, but I need a fifth university (have settled on Nottingham for the moment) and was hoping Exeter could be this one, but unless the atmosphere is usually quite different I don't really think it's for me.

Is anyone here at Exeter uni, or have any more knowledge about the type of people who go there? Everyone seemed like such a Sloane... :s-smilie:

This is the exact reason why i'll be applying to Exeter :biggrin:
Reply 26
kayzy
really? yeah actually i think my friend who's XTV mentioned it before, i spose all societies and that have a bit of a popularity thing :sad: but just day to day you don't notice it :^_^: it's never affected me luckily - i would actually have to bother with societies for that to happen

hehe! I was in an insane number of societies :redface:
Reply 27
Angelil
hehe! I was in an insane number of societies :redface:

hehe yeah i joined a load but never actually went to any :s-smilie: i kept meaning to, i took advantage of PsySoc free entry to arena on tues and thurs though ;grin;

next year there will be a society for my course that we've made and i will definitely be involved in that one :^_^:
I take the point about the higher Rah rating on Open Days. I'd probably have gotten the hell out of there too. One question - what's XMedia?

And also, is anyone here currently studying at the Institute of Arabic and Islamic Studies?
Reply 29
XMedia = the uni newspaper (Exepose), the uni TV station (XTV), the uni internet fora (XMedia Online, or XMO), and the uni radio station (Xpression FM).
Reply 30
Ariadne
I have friends here who are complete rahs. Likewise I have friends who are lovely and down to earth. It really isn't an issue, so get over it.

I love the fact that if you're a rah you cannot also fall into the 'down to earth' box. I know a lot of 'rahs' who what, are rich and tend to wear a lot of jack wills? And they're all actually more down to earth than a lot of other people i know. I feel if you're old enough to go to uni you're old enough not to stereotype, its not school. How about actually learning to get to know someone before shoving them in a box.

/rant.
I just dislike how Exeter as a University is being judged by the people who deign to turn up to the Open Days.
Exeter also has a very good reputation as a University, we do go there to study after all? It is also a top University for student satisfaction....would this be the case if people were miserable due to being surrounded by Rahs?
Don't think so.
Frankly Vulgar
However, the girl who showed me round the accomodation block seemed very nice and down-to-earth. I hope there's more like her.

Did you go round a Lafrowda flat? My flatmate was doing a tour round there. Admittedly there were probably lots of various people helping out on the open day... but if you met her she is truly awesome.

I don't really see that many 'rahs' as it were, I'm studying Physics and I haven't seen any frequent the department...

I wouldn't make certain types of student really affect your decision, exeter is a lovely uni, full of lovely people :smile:
Reply 33
It's ok OP I should be going to Exeter (grades allowing) and I'm not a rah!
I think it's just a falsley informed stereotype that Exeter is full of the rahs/sloanes whatever you want to call them as it is (correct me if I'm wrong!) one of the traditional universities and therefore had a long tradition of being attended by those that went to the more traditional private schools.
There will be loads of types of people there so don't worry!
Reply 34
I don't get why rahs would be an issue? Don't you guys realise what a bloody good reputation it has and how that kind of environment will make you thrive and meet people from a different socio-economic background than your state scum selves?
Reply 35
boho
I love the fact that if you're a rah you cannot also fall into the 'down to earth' box. I know a lot of 'rahs' who what, are rich and tend to wear a lot of jack wills? And they're all actually more down to earth than a lot of other people i know. I feel if you're old enough to go to uni you're old enough not to stereotype, its not school. How about actually learning to get to know someone before shoving them in a box.

/rant.

Why are you ranting at me?? :confused: You're speaking to the converted - I myself seem to fall under the category of 'rah' (Holland Hall etc)...why would I slag myself off? I think the rahs that the OP worries about though are the very few who wander around talking about daddy's polo ponies and their private island in the bahamas - thus not quintessentially 'down to earth'. I was merely using the OP's own terminology in order to explain the situation.

Retract that rant if you please! :p:
Reply 36
Personally when I went to the Open Day last year, if there were a lot of 'rahs' I didn't notice. Surely you're going to have percentage of rich people at any of the top unis? Compared to Durham there seemed to be a lot more 'normal' people, at Durham the person who showed us round was a Right Honourable someone!
Reply 37
Ariadne

Retract that rant if you please! :p:

apologies, that rant wasn't directed at you. it was directed at the view that you mentioned which i think is wrong, i just happened to quote you x
serrellen
I visited Exeter Open Day yesterday and while I liked the campus and the town seemed ok, what really put me off was quite how well-heeled and preppy everyone seemed to be. The girls all wore Jack Wills and Ugg boots, the guys were floppy haired and called things like Hugh - and it wasn't just the visitors, but the actual students that were all like this too.

While I do go to a private school, it's really not my scene and I don't think I'd fit in there too well. Exeter wouldn't be a first or even second choice anyway, but I need a fifth university (have settled on Nottingham for the moment) and was hoping Exeter could be this one, but unless the atmosphere is usually quite different I don't really think it's for me.

Is anyone here at Exeter uni, or have any more knowledge about the type of people who go there? Everyone seemed like such a Sloane... :s-smilie:

Sloane? How dare you call everybody who went to Exeter a sloane?

I prefer, "Daddy's little princesses and their narrow-minded, stuck-up, rugby-playing boyfriends who both vote Tory and have led very sheltered lives up in their material wealth-filled mansions and estates." Frankly, I don't know how half of the Exeter student population get by without their own private swimming pool.
Reply 39
All of you, does it honestly matter in the least what one thinks of themselves, or indeed how others peceive them? At the end of the day, we're all as bad as each other.
Sadly, many children grow up without the attention of their parents since they have been thrown into a boarding school either because parents want their children to feel as miserable as they did at school, or for practical reasons like them being out of the country for months on end, or that both parents are slaves to careers that never really satisfy (pretty cool eh?). Is it any wonder then that they tend to stick to their own, hiding behind a common denominator, in this case clothing and image?
Moreover, those who have been fortunate enough to have at least experienced a regular home life (however imperfect), such as myself, often forget how lucky we have been, and tend to come together to mock those that had a perceived spoilt and misery free upbringing we may in fact be very jealous of (simply because they can afford to pretend that they didn't).

Whatever our upbringing, misery loves company, and on each side, wouldn't it be better to stop being so bitter so as to be an example to the other that we are able to appreciate our differences, and get on in life?

Latest

Trending

Trending