The Student Room Group

i work hard...dont get the grades :(

i dont think i have a low iq, a lot of teachers say im a quick learner, im not dense in any way

i used to watch study youtubers and i wanted straight As and a few A*s and Bs ...(i had lower expectations bc they get straight A*s)

i got 1A*5A,3B,C,D.
(c in social studies, D in french)
i sacrificed so much(mainly social life) i put my 100% into it,,,,i just blank out in exams and i feel so :frown:

at a level, i literally sacrificed my social life so much

i got ABB and i feel so stupid bc i used to be one of the few who used to spend SOO much time in the library.

i overprepared and overstressed and came out with ABB and those gcses above.

ugh sorry idk what im doing i just feel so disappointed. i used to think of my exams like everyday, i'd get A*s in most of my mocks and then ...ABB. those are amazing grades, but my friends who'd go out everyday got the same grades as me idk i'm not bitter. it's more like...everyone saw me put in 100% and i only managed to get ABB and it's embaraassing bc that's my all. i feel like a B is a good grade , but for someone who doesnt put much effort into it
(edited 4 years ago)
im not sure what kinda replies im looking for. i dont think im looking for any types of replies, or any at all, i always say stuff that is unrepliable lol im just venting
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anonymoussse
i dont think i have a low iq, a lot of teachers say im a quick learner, im not dense in any way

i used to watch study youtubers and i wanted straight As and a few A*s and Bs ...(i had lower expectations bc they get straight A*s)

i got 1A*5A,3B,C,D.
i sacrificed so much(mainly social life) i put my 100% into it,,,,i just blank out in exams and i feel so :frown:

i got ABB and i feel so stupid bc i used to be one of the few who used to spend SOO much time in the library.

ugh sorry idk what im doing i just feel so disappointed. i used to think of my exams like everyday, i'd get A*s in my mocks and then ...ABB. those are amazing grades, but my friends who'd go out everyday got the same grades as me idk i'm not bitter. it's more like...everyone saw me put in 100% and i only managed to get ABB and it's embaraassing bc that's my all. i feel like a B is a good grade , but for someone who doesnt put much effort or is a bit dense and puts in 100% and i dont think the latter suits me. (or at least i dont want it to)

Listen, I know I probably can't give the best advice as I've not sat all of A-levels yet (I've only sat 4 exams and I am yet to get my overall grades, until next year) but ABB and your GCSE are brilliant grades. I partially understand how you feel in the aspect that you gave up your social life for studying as I pretty much did the same and now I'm in my second year of college and I have had no friends for the entirety of college due to me studying and not talking to others.

However, everyone learns differently, studies differently and performs in exams differently. Despite you feeling disappointed about the grades you achieved, you tried your best. You gave it your all and put all of your time and strength into it - be proud of yourself and try not to compare yourself to others. You're on your own path and journey and it's your future you should focus on, rather than that of others. With the grades you achieved, you have a bright future ahead of you.

Despite studying all of the time, it took me almost a full college year to get myself my first A/B grade. But even before I got B's/A's, I was proud of the grades I was getting as I was putting my all into it and I knew that was all I could do and, deep down, I knew I was trying my best and that was enough to lift my hopes up and reduce the stress and worry I was fabricating when I was looking at universities and thinking ''I won't get accepted. I won't get the grades I need''.

As long as you know, deep down, that you tried hard enough and did the best you could possibly do, that will be enough to push you forward and achieve whatever goals you want to achieve in the future.
Original post by Yiling_Patriarch
Listen, I know I probably can't give the best advice as I've not sat all of A-levels yet (I've only sat 4 exams and I am yet to get my overall grades, until next year) but ABB and your GCSE are brilliant grades. I partially understand how you feel in the aspect that you gave up your social life for studying as I pretty much did the same and now I'm in my second year of college and I have had no friends for the entirety of college due to me studying and not talking to others.

However, everyone learns differently, studies differently and performs in exams differently. Despite you feeling disappointed about the grades you achieved, you tried your best. You gave it your all and put all of your time and strength into it - be proud of yourself and try not to compare yourself to others. You're on your own path and journey and it's your future you should focus on, rather than that of others. With the grades you achieved, you have a bright future ahead of you.

Despite studying all of the time, it took me almost a full college year to get myself my first A/B grade. But even before I got B's/A's, I was proud of the grades I was getting as I was putting my all into it and I knew that was all I could do and, deep down, I knew I was trying my best and that was enough to lift my hopes up and reduce the stress and worry I was fabricating when I was looking at universities and thinking ''I won't get accepted. I won't get the grades I need''.

As long as you know, deep down, that you tried hard enough and did the best you could possibly do, that will be enough to push you forward and achieve whatever goals you want to achieve in the future.

thank u sm for this response
im just not good at taking exams, all my teachers tell me that. " what happens to u in exams? "

i was top of my class in biology year 13 and maths (in year 11) but i came out with average grades (7 and B). id do well in homeworks but exams (especially real ones and some mocks) i just cannot show my potential bc i blank out bc im so stressed/anxious.

im worried bc if ure not good at taking exams, med school might not be for u??
what can u say about this? (the italic line)

i know this thread makes me seem so snobbish and stuck up but i promise that's only the way i come across and im not intending it that way
(edited 4 years ago)
I hear you πŸ’― literally!! I'm going into yr13 what advice do you think you could give? Because okay you feel REALLY frustrated and it is such a bummer (I hate the feeling) because I sure know how that feels when you work so hard and don't get the grades that you expect and that is me rn teachers have high hopes for me and people around me yet still I get average grades. its okay to vent ... We all been there (perhaps in slightly different scenario) but we can only learn and pass on those learning experiences to someone else so if there's any advice what do you think I should do as a yr12 going into yr13
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anonymoussse

i got 1A*5A,3B,C,D.

ugh sorry idk what im doing i just feel so disappointed. i used to think of my exams like everyday, i'd get A*s in most of my mocks and then ...ABB. those are amazing grades, but my friends who'd go out everyday got the same grades as me idk i'm not bitter. it's more like...everyone saw me put in 100% and i only managed to get ABB and it's embaraassing bc that's my all. i feel like a B is a good grade , but for someone who doesnt put much effort into it

This happened to me!! I got straight A’s through year 12 and when I took my AS exams I got BBCC and honestly I know how you feel. I felt so disappointed in myself and I was so embarrassed because I’d talked about wanting to study at somewhere like Cambridge and I opened up my results and just cried.
I’d stressed so much about them that I ruined my chances and I’m lost now.

Quick Reply

Latest