The Student Room Group

Why do western people use toilet paper only?

Most bizzare Q i've ever asked but tell me why? :colonhash:
Whenever i need to use a public toilet i always have to wet a couple of tissues or take baby wipes in with me. And whenever i do so i always get those awkward looks :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HumbleBee_x
Whenever i need to use a public toilet i always have to wet a couple of tissues or take baby wipes in with me. And whenever i do so i always get those awkward looks :rolleyes:

Just being stubborn to Muslims?
NOO! We won't use water 🙄
Original post by CuriosityYay
Just being stubborn to Muslims?
NOO! We won't use water 🙄

Is that why many have to shower daily?

Out of curiosity (hence my name haha), do toilets at British homes have water for cleaning or is it the same as public toilets (i.e. just toilet paper)?
In my household it's always been the norm to use baby wipes. I assumed most people did tbh. Can't say I've ever asked friends though.
Yeah I don't know why we do either, I always use an odd baby wipe.

Even if you used a bidet or baby wipes, why would this stop you from showering daily.
Showering daily is just good hygiene, especially if you plan on being in the company of other people.
I use wet wipes but I guess because it's more convenient. Showing daily is enough really.

My parents use water, it's common in Nigeria I think
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mnot
Even if you used a bidet or baby wipes, why would this stop you from showering daily.
Showering daily is just good hygiene, especially if you plan on being in the company of other people.

Yh ofc, i shower daily purely for hygiene reasons.
Reply 9
i use hedgehogs
My reaction after reading thread title:

The environment's reaction after reading that so many people use wet wipes:

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
i use hedgehogs

Ouch:K:
Reply 12

Not all western countries. In particular, Southern Europe such as Italy use a bidet (very very high proportion of the population own and use one at home), and others such as France, Portugal, Germany, Hungary, Spain and Greece also use it. Brits find it very weird.

Edit: bidet are also very popular South America (which is also western) particularly Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Ouch:K:

they aren't spiky everywhere
I get it 😂
Original post by CuriosityYay
Out of curiosity (hence my name haha), do toilets at British homes have water for cleaning or is it the same as public toilets (i.e. just toilet paper)?

I have no idea lol :colondollar:
As a BAME British, in my household we have water showers.
Ik for a fact every Muslim household have water vessels atleast.
You're gonna regret this the rest of your life, both seconds of it!
Original post by kkboyk
Not all western countries. In particular, Southern Europe such as Italy use a bidet (very very high proportion of the population own and use one at home), and others such as France, Portugal, Germany, Hungary, Spain and Greece also use it. Brits find it very weird.

Edit: bidet are also very popular South America particularly Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

Thanks, should've thought twice :yep:
I get it hehe:lol:
Ewwwww.:yucky: Nobody wants to know how you wipe your ar*e after a number two. That's gross.:erm:

Quick Reply

Latest