Superior Standard Accommodation at Lancaster Watch

Desayama
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've just received my accommodation offer for Lancaster University, although I didn't get allocated to either of my choices, which were Ensuite. Instead, I've been offered a Superior Standard room. Luckily, it's in County College, which was my first choice for college. I'm a bit confused. What are the Superior Standard rooms like? How many people are in the flat? Any experiences from people who have lived in one?

I have dyspraxia and the whole reason why I applied for Ensuite was because it would make me feel more comfortable...
Last edited by Desayama; 4 weeks ago
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello there! I'm sorry you didn't get an en-suite, it's a bit variable how you get allocated accommodation

I had a quick look over the accommodation pages (pasted into the text), and found some info on it; for the Superior standard accommodation in County/Bowland, you'll be in larger flats of 8 - 13 people where you'll do get two toilets and showers as opposed to one and the kitchen/living room areas tend to be a bit bigger too, one of my friends lived in a Bowland Superior Standard flat.

It might depend on the flat you're living in, but that's the one I remember when I used to visit friends in the Bowland flat! They quite liked the extra space of the larger flats (there may also be 8-person flats that are the regular size alongside these bigger ones, mind).

Did you mention your dyspraxia to the uni when you were applying for accommodation? It might be worth calling up to see if they can do a swap at all; it won't be guaranteed, but it's worth an ask!
Advertisement
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Desayama)
I've just received my accommodation offer for Lancaster University, although I didn't get allocated to either of my choices, which were Ensuite. Instead, I've been offered a Superior Standard room. Luckily, it's in County College, which was my first choice for college. I'm a bit confused. What are the Superior Standard rooms like? How many people are in the flat? Any experiences from people who have lived in one?

I have dyspraxia and the whole reason why I applied for Ensuite was because it would make me feel more comfortable...
Hello!
Sorry you didn't get your first choice - however, everyone I know who was in ensuite wishes they went for Standard as it would've been cheaper but just as good if not better! In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUf93dP_0G0&t=122s) I helped make we interview Maddy who's in standard in County (and I believe it'll be the same if not very similar to yours).
Let me know if you have any questions or anything I can help you with!
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
skifans
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I had a Superior Standard standard room in first year, I don't know if this is still the case but it used to be that if you had a continuous contract you would be placed in County Main, if you had a contract which required you to move out over Easter & Christmas you would be in John Creed. I was in County Main and have never been in a John Creed room, no idea how similar/different they are.

Personally I really liked them, the main differences compared to the standard rooms are that they are a little bigger. The main difference is the kitchen which is significantly bigger and features 2 sofas in a small social area. The flat I was in had 13 rooms sharing 5 toilets/showers, it was never a problem and personally I don't think the extra cost of en-suite is worth it. Also remember that if you are en-suite you will have to clean them, but in shared accomodation this is done by the cleaners. The difference in price between Standard and Superior Standard wasn't much (but may have changed?) and at the time I certainly think I made the right choice.

The only real downside to County Main was the lack of lift access, I got lucky but only around 1/4 of flats are accessible by lift. I know alot of people quickly got sick of heading up the stairs to the 4th floor. And your flat is going to be higher up, superior standard flats are on the 3rd or 4th floor, the 5th is family flats. 2nd is the English department and the 1st is a but of a random mix of common areas. Some people also felt that flats on the outside got too hot in summer and those facing the courtyard too cold in winter, mine was the former but I can't say I found it a problem personally (but I do like it warm)!

If its useful I can probably dig out some photos, personally I really liked the Superior Standard accommodation I was in.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (11)
5.76%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (106)
55.5%
No (74)
38.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed