Any way to cover travel costs? Watch

ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
For Access to HE specifically.

Trains are criminally expensive. Buses are much longer journeys, often with many changeovers (plus I get carsick).

Some colleges have a bursary fund, but the details (as with all info) tend to be kept top secret untill you take a leap of faith and apply. (What's up with that?)

The one college I have applied for revealed that the fund actually covers only £4 a day, which I fear is the norm... So there's a 'loan' that covers course costs to break down the financial barrier, but you have to have to be local or have that money in the bank already to pay for your travel!

The 'Advanced Learner Loan' speaks of a 'Bursary Fund'. It's pretty vague, so I don't know if this refers to the college's bursary or if it's its own thing.
Last edited by ozzyoscy; 3 weeks ago
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Trains are criminally expensive. Buses are much longer journeys, often with many changeovers (plus I get carsick).

Some colleges have a bursary fund, but the details (as with all info) tend to be kept top secret untill you take a leap of faith and apply. (What's up with that?)

The one college I have applied for revealed that the fund actually covers only £4 a day, which I fear is the norm... So there's a 'loan' that covers course costs to break down the financial barrier, but you have to have to be local or have that money in the bank already to pay for your travel!

The 'Advanced Learner Loan' speaks of a 'Bursary Fund'. It's pretty vague, so I don't know if this refers to the college's bursary or if it's its own thing.
I thought travel costs would be up to the person to cover out of their maintenance loan, but obviously if the university gives you accommodation far from campus I can see that it could be an issue to pay for public transport, especially in cities like London.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
(Original post by S.carter)
I thought travel costs would be up to the person to cover out of their maintenance loan, but obviously if the university gives you accommodation far from campus I can see that it could be an issue to pay for public transport, especially in cities like London.
I forgot to put that this is about Access to HE.
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ye same issue here.
My train fare would of cost me like £8 a day.
I just got myself a cheap little motorcycle that does 120mpg. My fuel cost is like £10 a month by comparison.

My college only give out bursays based on household income. (Under £28k per household is the requirement)
But I live with 3 working adults so I wont be entitled to anything.

That being said I plan to work. Ideally at least 20 Hours a week. Hopefully more.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam277)
Ye same issue here.
My train fare would of cost me like £8 a day.
I just got myself a cheap little motorcycle that does 120mpg. My fuel cost is like £10 a month by comparison.

My college only give out bursays based on household income. (Under £28k per household is the requirement)
But I live with 3 working adults so I wont be entitled to anything.

That being said I plan to work. Ideally at least 20 Hours a week. Hopefully more.
Unfortunately, by train + underground it would cost me £60 a day, for 3 days a week. By train + bus + underground it's about £23 a day.
adam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You are entitled to student Railcard which gives you a third off
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For Access to HE specifically.

Hi there ozzyoscy

If your college cannot help with travel costs (and as adam277 says you're entitled to as student railcard too) then I'd google for any charities that may be able to assist you.

I used the Grants search facility at Turn2Us which enabled me to apply for a couple of small grants to cover my travel costs for my Access to HE course and I was lucky enough to be granted them. One paid for a a travel card for me, I had to give the charity concerned the details and they then purchased it for me. Each case is individual but it may be worth checking!

Please feel free to message any questions we can help you with

Fi :horse:
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
You are entitled to student Railcard which gives you a third off
Thanks, but turns out this is just salt in the wound because, if you're talking about the 16-25 Railcard (what a confusing / dodgy name), it says you need to be studying 15 hours minimum and I'm literally just half an hour below that. Wow.

(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi there ozzyoscy

If your college cannot help with travel costs (and as adam277 says you're entitled to as student railcard too) then I'd google for any charities that may be able to assist you.

I used the Grants search facility at Turn2Us which enabled me to apply for a couple of small grants to cover my travel costs for my Access to HE course and I was lucky enough to be granted them. One paid for a a travel card for me, I had to give the charity concerned the details and they then purchased it for me. Each case is individual but it may be worth checking!

Please feel free to message any questions we can help you with

Thank you, but unfortunately either there's an age limit, I'm not in the right parish, or they only give help if you already have a degree-level career (???).

It is feeling very weird living just a few miles from Oxford, yet my location seems to be one of the big losers of the postcode lottery.

It seems I'll have to hope I get the right amount of work to cover it (and bring a vomit bag).
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks, but turns out this is just salt in the wound because, if you're talking about the 16-25 Railcard (what a confusing / dodgy name), it says you need to be studying 15 hours minimum and I'm literally just half an hour below that. Wow.

Thank you, but unfortunately either there's an age limit, I'm not in the right parish, or they only give help if you already have a degree-level career (???).

It is feeling very weird living just a few miles from Oxford, yet my location seems to be one of the big losers of the postcode lottery.

It seems I'll have to hope I get the right amount of work to cover it (and bring a vomit bag).
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that ozzyoscy. Keep looking and keep trying for grants from charities, theres more out there, thats just one example.

Good luck!

ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
I've been looking properly into this now I have the course timetable, and I've discovered new journeys and tricks on the way and I'm confident now the journey is viable.

There's a direct bus route as a last resort which is a third of the price, but I also discovered/remember that Oxford has its own train to London, so that increases my chances of getting an Advance ticket for just as much anyway.

No celebrating yet though as the course needs to get more applicants to go ahead.
adam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why are you traveling so far btw.

Oxford to central London is a bit much for an access course.

I'd just take one a bit closer to home and if need be do a foundation year on top.
I know it's hard to find a science course with enough math in it but still. That is a trek.

I seriously think that will be a struggle to do for an entire year.
Last edited by adam277; 3 weeks ago
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Why are you traveling so far btw.

Oxford to central London is a bit much for an access course.

I'd just take one a bit closer to home and if need be do a foundation year on top.
I know it's hard to find a science course with enough math in it but still. That is a trek.

I seriously think that will be a struggle to do for an entire year.
It's the closest one with the shortest journey. That's not even why I chose that college, it was just a huge bonus.

An hour isn't a trek at all; it takes longer getting into Oxford on bus during rush hour than London on train, and in less comfort!
adam271
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Fair enough I thought it was more like 2 hours.
It's central London after all near westminister.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam271)
Fair enough I thought it was more like 2 hours.
It's central London after all near westminister.
By train, no way. It can be 50 minutes to London Marylebone and then I'd go down to the underground and be at the college in 15/20 minutes.

The whole bus journey from Oxford to London Victoria at the worst rush hour is 2.5 hours, but the worst for me would be under 2 hours, and I'd get off early and take the underground the rest of the way.

Yeah that's not amazing, but even if I stuck totally rigidly to only using whichever's the cheapest route, I'd still be on the train often rather than the bus so it's a small sacrifice / first world problem in the grand scheme.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University