The Student Room Group

Is getting a remark work it?

Hello,I got my gcse results today and I got a 6 in French(aqa) and a 7 in physics(aqa) and I was 1 mark away from the next grade in both.Also my sister got an 8 in geography(aqa) and a 8 in RE(aqa) and she was also 1 mark away from the next grade in these.We were worried to get it remarked because of the chance of getting the grade lowered.Also we’ve heard of someone who went from 8 to a 5 which is also putting us off.Our school is offering to pay for it which is really nice but we’re just not sure if it is worth it.What do you guys think?

Btw I meant is it worth it.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’ve not heard of anyone dropping a grade when they are only 1 Mark away from the higher grade , how sure are you that someone dropped down did you actually know them or is that just something you heard ?
Reply 2
Original post by crystal32
Hello,I got my gcse results today and I got a 6 in French(aqa) and a 7 in physics(aqa) and I was 1 mark away from the next grade in both.Also my sister got an 8 in geography(aqa) and a 8 in RE(aqa) and she was also 1 mark away from the next grade in these.We were worried to get it remarked because of the chance of getting the grade lowered.Also we’ve heard of someone who went from 8 to a 5 which is also putting us off.Our school is offering to pay for it which is really nice but we’re just not sure if it is worth it.What do you guys think?

It's very unlikely that you'll go down a grade.I would say it's worth a remark for both since you're so close.

Have you considered gaining access to your scripts first and then maybe your teacher can mark them to see if any are worth getting remarked?
Reply 3
Original post by Mumofson
I’ve not heard of anyone dropping a grade when they are only 1 Mark away from the higher grade , how sure are you that someone dropped down did you actually know them or is that just something you heard ?

It was something I heard from a girl my friend knows.
It was something I heard from a girl my friend knows.

I haven’t seen anything like that on here so I’m not sure if it’s true.

The teachers have a duty of care to make sure you understand marks can go up or down . You know you are a bright student and feel the papers went well , the chance of you dropping a whole grade are so very very slim , people get remarks every year I’m sure it would be a lot more prominent within the forums if marks went down especially if only 1 Mark away from higher grade. If I was in your shoes and you have the money I’d remark
Reply 5
Also we’ve heard of someone who went from 8 to a 5 which is also putting us off.

The 2018, 2017 and 2016 data shows that out of thousands of remarks, none of them resulted in a grade decrease of 3 or more. So this story is almost definitely untrue.
Is there any particular reason that you need higher grades, for example to secure your place at college? Unless there is, I would leave it, as there's nothing to be gained, and as big a thing as it might feel today, nobody will care soon (not even you) whether you got a 6 or 7 in whatever. Honestly. There's no point in asking for a remark when there's no actual benefit, or everyone who was a mark or two off would do it.

Quick Reply

Latest