The Student Room Group

What to do after undergrad

So I'm turning 21 in two weeks and will also be going back to uni to do my final year of my BSc Psychology degree. Soon, I'll have to decide what I'll be doing after I graduate and what career to pursue and I'm really struggling.

The most desired route would to be go into clinical psychology and study the DClinPsy, however I'm very aware of how competitive it is

I've worked at a doctors surgery for a few years and they've suggested that if I do a nursing course postgrad they'd give me a job (very tempting) however I'm still toying with a few other options and I'm not sure if nursing would be for me.

Paramedic science is also something I'm very interested in, but I'm not sure if I could cope with the lifestyle of long night shifts.

Essentially, I'm stuck. I know I still have time to decide but its stressing me out. How do you decide what you're gonna do for the rest of your life :frown:
Original post by itsokamix
So I'm turning 21 in two weeks and will also be going back to uni to do my final year of my BSc Psychology degree. Soon, I'll have to decide what I'll be doing after I graduate and what career to pursue and I'm really struggling.

The most desired route would to be go into clinical psychology and study the DClinPsy, however I'm very aware of how competitive it is

I've worked at a doctors surgery for a few years and they've suggested that if I do a nursing course postgrad they'd give me a job (very tempting) however I'm still toying with a few other options and I'm not sure if nursing would be for me.

Paramedic science is also something I'm very interested in, but I'm not sure if I could cope with the lifestyle of long night shifts.

Essentially, I'm stuck. I know I still have time to decide but its stressing me out. How do you decide what you're gonna do for the rest of your life :frown:

Hi @itsokamix

I'm sorry to hear that you are stressed at the moment. What I would say is maybe right a list of all the benefits and disadvantages the career paths have and then decide what you could do.

Also be aware that if you change your mind in the future its not the end of the world. Many people feel like this and lots of people change career progression at a much older age than you.

Hope that this helps. If you have any further questions please feel free to get back in touch.

Dom :h:
I am in the same boat, about to start my final year of psy. I want to do CP too!

Have you considered graduate entry medicine? It is very competitive but you may want to research this route just in case it's something you would actually love to do. You have really good work experience for it already, however if you didn't do chemistry and biology a-levels i can understand the route would be very long winded because you may need to go and get those qualifications before applying.

There is also a physician associate career you can look into. it is very similar to what a doctor does but the postgrad course is only 2 years and its much less intense.

Counselling psychology is an option and its also only 2 years.

Educational psychology is another one and it's a three year course.

Forensic psychology requires a masters and a three year course.

Other than that don't let how competitive clinical psychology is hold you back. Many people make it every year. If you really want to do it don't let doubts stop you.

Wishing you all the best :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Vashti02
I am in the same boat, about to start my final year of psy. I want to do CP too!

Have you considered graduate entry medicine? It is very competitive but you may want to research this route just in case it's something you would actually love to do. You have really good work experience for it already, however if you didn't do chemistry and biology a-levels i can understand the route would be very long winded because you may need to go and get those qualifications before applying.

There is also a physician associate career you can look into. it is very similar to what a doctor does but the postgrad course is only 2 years and its much less intense.

Counselling psychology is an option and its also only 2 years.

Educational psychology is another one and it's a three year course.

Forensic psychology requires a masters and a three year course.

Other than that don't let how competitive clinical psychology is hold you back. Many people make it every year. If you really want to do it don't let doubts stop you.

Wishing you all the best :smile:

Good luck with your final year!

I've looked at GEM and the physician associates degree, mainly because the doctors at work were trying to convince me to do it, but I dont have the a level qualifications to do GEM (I failed chemistry at AS and was made to drop it, and my biology grade was less than desirable ://) and I'm struggling to find a physicians associate degree that will accept me as a psychology grad, I might have to email a few universities to see if they'd accept!

counselling is an option, though I'd have to do some more research on it, education is a no-go because I'm not super fond of children ahaha.

Forensics interests me a lot! however speaking to my lecturers, they have suggested to do clinical with the view of working in a more 'forensic' setting.

I definitely have a lot to think about! Thank you~
Reply 4
Hey, I’m in your position at the moment and feeling stuck. The pressure to have my future planned out is hard. Hope you’re in a good place now and doing well :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by rzi999
Hey, I’m in your position at the moment and feeling stuck. The pressure to have my future planned out is hard. Hope you’re in a good place now and doing well :smile:

Still struggling but getting there slowly! I hope things work out for you too 😀
University can feel like a big decision, it's always great to have a look at the detail of courses so you can look into if any of the topics are of interest.

Alternatively, if possible it's great to get in contact with the course department to try arrange a call with a tutor to hear a bit more about the course.

It can be a stressful time but remember if you change your mind about what career path you take after your degree, that's okay!

Nathan
:party:

Quick Reply

Latest