R47-Ministerial Report from the culture secretary,FTA sporting events. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
R47-Ministerial Report from the Culture Secretary, on TV Free to View Sporting Events

Amendments to the List of TV Free to View Sporting Events under The Broadcasting Act 1996

The Broadcasting Act 1996 provides for a list of sporting events that should be on free-to-view tv.* Ofcom are empowered under the Act to draw up and amend the list of events.* I believe that participation and interest in sport can be increased by its exposure on free-to-view tv.* The recent example of the 2015 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup final coverage is a good example.*

I have today instructed Ofcom to add the following events to the list of those that must be screened on free-to-view tv.

Association Football
The Women's FA Cup final
The FIFA Women's World Cup
The Football League Cup final
FA Cup semi-finals
Any FA Cup tie in the fourth round or later where one or both clubs is outside the EFL or Premier League

Cricket
Two Men's test matches each year played in the United Kingdom
Two other first class or List A matches
All women's test matches of England against Australia.

Golf
The Open Championship
The Women's Open Championship.

Motor Sport
The Formula 1 British Grand Prix
The last Formula 1 Grand Prix of each calendar year.

I would like to advise the House that internet streaming does not qualify as free to view tv, for the purposes of the 1996 Broadcasting Act
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This MR is defunct given passed legislation that has amended the role of Ofcom.

I, however, have no issue with the principle.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mixed thoughts on this.

Women's FA Cup final I'm okay with.
Women's World Cup - how much of it? Just the England Games and the final? What else?
Football League Cup final I'm okay with.
I thought the FA Cup semi-finals were already FTV?
The outside of the EFL or EPL tie is a good idea I'm in favour of that.

I think with the success of the Men's cricket this year and some of it being on FTV a couple of test matches a year would be good. Don't think the ashes needs to be though, that's a lot of TV time and money.
Not sure if there is really big enough demand for the women's cricket? How much does that get viewing wise now on whatever channel it is currently on?

The Open yes.
Women's open, I would be hesitant again, because of demand reasons.

Liberty F1 currently have an agreement in place for the British Grand Prix to be on FTV (Channel 4 atm) as well as the usual Sky. No change there needed.
Last F1 Grand Prix I'm not sure. One would assume because it's the last race it's the title decider, but way more often that not the championship has been decided elsewhere. And in the least decade or so and for the next few years the last race has mostly been the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix which mostly boring and overtaking is restricted. It's not got the excitement that Brazil (which has been penultimate most recently) has.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5569230

I would assume that this is the act that NS is referring to and as such will support the Leader of the Opposition and suggest that the Rt. Hon. Member put his current statement into cessation while the government takes a view as to its next steps be they to amend or withdraw.

Generally speaking i would oppose such a statement on the basis that i believe private business (though i admit we have a grey area while the BBC still remains public) should not be told what it should and should not air. When Bernie sold the F1 rights to Sky a few years ago he took a risk that by having to pay for it viewing figures would decline, they have not.

Government has no place in the media or sport to this extent.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I thank the Honourable Member for the reference to the very lengthy Act.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So half that list is stuff that people don't care about and is already on free to view for that very reason.

While there is a case for the British Grand Prix, and it has remained available live FTV there isn't really one for the final race, not least given the championship rarely goes to the last race.

Why should the Women's Ashes be FTV but not the Men's, especially when the men's game is the one that is actually commercially viable meaning pay to view actually want it.

So much of the list is totally arbitrary and based on misguided beliefs about women's sport to push a pro equality agenda contrary to the facts of life.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are these to be Group A or Group B or a combination of the two, in which case how are they being split?
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is not really an area I am familiar with, but I think I can support this.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
This is not really an area I am familiar with, but I think I can support this.
Bar being highly arbitrary and lacking some quite significant details
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
04MR17 no comment from the government as to whether these are Group A, Group B, or a mix of the two or explanation of some of the seemingly arbitrary items?

And while we're at it why no Paralympics (irrespective of group), or commonwealth games and Six nations if strictly group A?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
04MR17 no comment from the government as to whether these are Group A, Group B, or a mix of the two or explanation of some of the seemingly arbitrary items?

And while we're at it why no Paralympics (irrespective of group), or commonwealth games and Six nations if strictly group A?
Tagging barnetlad would probably be more useful.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A second reading/updated report will be provided. Thank you for your comments.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ns_2 please see the above post before considering whether to send this to division at this stage.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This item has now entered cessation.

It can be sent to division in the next 7 days by one of the following 3 people.

Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
This item has been withdrawn.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads

Latest