Do my gcses hinder my chances as LSE KCL Cambridge? Watch

vg1234
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Got my gcses results today not the best but
I got
Maths-5(remarking as I was 3 marks off a 6)
English lit-6(2 marks of a 7, remarking)
English Lang-5
RE-7
History-5
H&sc-D*(9 equivalent I’ve been told)
Imedia-D*
Business-Merit
I plan on doing a levels
Law
Politics
Sociology
And I want to get A*AA to do law at uni, I want to work so hard at Sixth Form
I’m going to volunteer, go to work experience and go to Durham University summer school
I also plan on trying to ace a perfect personal statement

My school was also quite low performing and is a state school, not the best school, would these universities look at context? Thank you
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vg1234)
Got my gcses results today not the best but
I got
Maths-5(remarking as I was 3 marks off a 6)
English lit-6(2 marks of a 7, remarking)
English Lang-5
RE-7
History-5
H&sc-D*(9 equivalent I’ve been told)
Imedia-D*
Business-Merit
I plan on doing a levels
Law
Politics
Sociology
And I want to get A*AA to do law at uni, I want to work so hard at Sixth Form
I’m going to volunteer, go to work experience and go to Durham University summer school
I also plan on trying to ace a perfect personal statement

My school was also quite low performing and is a state school, not the best school, would these universities look at context? Thank you
Yes the unis will look at context but you will still have to meet their GCSE requirements. Most unis don't have particularly high GCSE requirements but you have listed 3 of the most competitive law schools in the UK. You will need to check their individual websites carefully, to see what they say about GCSEs. As an example, the following is copied from the LSE website:

What we are looking for in an application for LLB Bachelor of Laws
Academic achievement
Successful applicants for this programme are usually predicted to achieve or have already achieved a minimum of A* A A in their A-levels (or 38 and above International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB) points, with 7 6 6 at Higher level).

In addition we are looking for a strong pre-16 academic profile such as several GCSE grades of A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9), or equivalent, and your GCSE, or equivalent, English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6). We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile, and your AS grades, if available.

All applicants must sit the Law National Admissions Test (LNAT). The test must be taken between 1 September 2019 and 20 January 2020. Test centres are available throughout the UK and overseas. LSE only uses the multiple-choice score it its assessment of applicants; the essay is not considered.
vg1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Yes the unis will look at context but you will still have to meet their GCSE requirements. Most unis don't have particularly high GCSE requirements but you have listed 3 of the most competitive law schools in the UK. You will need to check their individual websites carefully, to see what they say about GCSEs. As an example, the following is copied from the LSE website:

What we are looking for in an application for LLB Bachelor of Laws
Academic achievement
Successful applicants for this programme are usually predicted to achieve or have already achieved a minimum of A* A A in their A-levels (or 38 and above International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB) points, with 7 6 6 at Higher level).

In addition we are looking for a strong pre-16 academic profile such as several GCSE grades of A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9), or equivalent, and your GCSE, or equivalent, English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6). We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile, and your AS grades, if available.

All applicants must sit the Law National Admissions Test (LNAT). The test must be taken between 1 September 2019 and 20 January 2020. Test centres are available throughout the UK and overseas. LSE only uses the multiple-choice score it its assessment of applicants; the essay is not considered.
So when I apply, after remarks my grades should hopefully be two Grade 9 equivalent grades, two grade 7, two grade 6s(equivalent) four grade 5s, does this sound good enough for say KCL? Thank you for the help !
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So when I apply, after remarks my grades should hopefully be two Grade 9 equivalent grades, two grade 7, two grade 6s(equivalent) four grade 5s, does this sound good enough for say KCL? Thank you for the help !
Yes that sounds good enough for Kings, they are not as bothered about GCSE results as LSE anyway. Like many other unis they are looking for a minimum of 5 GCSEs at A*-C and will be placing a lot more emphasis on your A level predictions. Having said that, they are still hugely competitive for Law and you will need A level predictions of A*AA so it's not exactly an easy option!

Good Luck with the remarks and even if they don't go up, remember that they are still quite good and most unis will happily accept them as they are
vg1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Yes that sounds good enough for Kings, they are not as bothered about GCSE results as LSE anyway. Like many other unis they are looking for a minimum of 5 GCSEs at A*-C and will be placing a lot more emphasis on your A level predictions. Having said that, they are still hugely competitive for Law and you will need A level predictions of A*AA so it's not exactly an easy option!

Good Luck with the remarks and even if they don't go up, remember that they are still quite good and most unis will happily accept them as they are
Hi, so I applied for Durham University Summer School to improve my personal statement when I start it but after revisiting their website, it says the need 5 GcSEs grades 7-9, which I obviously don’t have. I am intending on doing work experience and volunteering but is there anything else I can do to boost my application. As I live in Durham and the country side I’m quite limited and now worried.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, so I applied for Durham University Summer School to improve my personal statement when I start it but after revisiting their website, it says the need 5 GcSEs grades 7-9, which I obviously don’t have. I am intending on doing work experience and volunteering but is there anything else I can do to boost my application. As I live in Durham and the country side I’m quite limited and now worried.
I would email Durham uni Admissions to check but from what you have said, it sounds like your chances of getting accepted by them are low. You really need to start considering some lower ranked Unis, you don’t need to go to a top 10 Law school in order to have a successful career in Law. The Unis will be far more interested in your academics than any work experience you do, so unfortunately that is not a solution to the problem you have of not meeting the GCSE requirements of some of the most competitive Unis in the UK
vg1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago

I would email Durham uni Admissions to check but from what you have said, it sounds like your chances of getting accepted by them are low. You really need to start considering some lower ranked Unis, you don’t need to go to a top 10 Law school in order to have a successful career in Law. The Unis will be far more interested in your academics than any work experience you do, so unfortunately that is not a solution to the problem you have of not meeting the GCSE requirements of some of the most competitive Unis in the UK
I understand what you’re saying but I wasn’t planning on going to Durham University in the end, I wanted to go to the summer school. University’s such as KCL,QMUL(has links with my sixth form and could possible give me a better chance of entering etc),Cambridge and UCL (I’m going to do a language course as I don’t have a gcse)have established that grades like mine are acceptable to apply and get a place with extra curriculars and obviously the entry requirement grades. My only concern was the extra curricular part and getting into the Durham summer school
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I understand what you’re saying but I wasn’t planning on going to Durham University in the end, I wanted to go to the summer school. University’s such as KCL,QMUL(has links with my sixth form and could possible give me a better chance of entering etc),Cambridge and UCL (I’m going to do a language course as I don’t have a gcse)have established that grades like mine are acceptable to apply and get a place with extra curriculars and obviously the entry requirement grades. My only concern was the extra curricular part and getting into the Durham summer school
Oh I see.

I'm not sure about how lenient they can be with summer schools, best to check directly with them Although they might still be strict because they are hoping that they can encourage people who qualify for the summer school to then apply to them for their degree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads